News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating stupid puns  (Read 5122 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Translating stupid puns
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:29:32 am »
So I currently have a tomato pun/riddle that asks what is spelled the same forwards and backwards. In Japanese that is tomato, but in English it doesn't work. I'm think of two options here, to keep the riddle, but change the subject, or to keep the tomato and change the riddle. Anyone got any bright ideas?

denim

• View Profile
Re: Translating stupid puns
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:22:35 am »
Hum... You could keep the tomato as the answer and change the riddle from "spelled the same forwards and backwards" for "pronounced the same forwards and backwards syllable-by-syllable"

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:30:56 am »
I assume the character the posed the pun/riddle does not have an association with tomatoes or palindromes and it does not form the basis of anything important later (I have played a game where you might have that posed and then have it posed by an enemy later or something), or if it does come back to haunt you then you can easily adapt it.

Palindromes then. As the Japanese is a simple three letter word you probably do not have to make an equivalently long one and if you want to keep with a fruit theme then you might even be able to make something using pip or something.

Your ideas on how to solve it are about the same as my own unless you want to axe it entirely so I will leave it for the time being.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:34:56 am »
if you want to stick with a food-themed palindrome, perhaps "tot" with the potato pun.
Anyway, here's a list  for inspiration.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:46:00 am »
That's funny. I saw that one already in the third Layton game, Japanese version of course.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
I might have a pun that is routed in Japanese history.

がちょーーーーん!!
わたしは まつおがちょんです!

This is a ghost that sneezes and asks you what Toyotomi Hideyoshi's main work is. There are several other ghosts that have been puns of historical figures they ask you about and it seems logical they would follow a pattern. However, this one does not seem so obvious.

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:10:08 am »
Racecar

If it fits the game, anyhow

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:31:51 pm »
I might have a pun that is routed in Japanese history.

がちょーーーーん!!
わたしは まつおがちょんです!

This is a ghost that sneezes and asks you what Toyotomi Hideyoshi's main work is. There are several other ghosts that have been puns of historical figures they ask you about and it seems logical they would follow a pattern. However, this one does not seem so obvious.

That is a strange one. Going along with the historical theme, it might be a reference to Matsuo Basho. Maybe the ghost is mispronouncing part of Basho's name? Like, "Achoo! I'm Matsuo Ba-choo!" I have no clue what the pun is supposed to be, though.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »
For what it's worth this appears when you answer wrong. Don't know if that clears it up, but probably not.

がちょーーーーん! ハズレです!

Ok, I see the joke. The guy's name is the same as the sound for sneezing.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »
Wow that's the first Japanese pun I actually understood ever. I can only understand a single sentence, and the pun uses it. Thank your for this.