News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Aeon Genesis Holiday Spectacular: Super Robot Wars 2 Twofer  (Read 7516 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Gideon Zhi

As Banpresto celebrates the announcement of SRW Z3 and a high-definition remake of the very first SRW, so too does Aeon Genesis. Launching today is the English version of Super Robot Wars 2 for the NES, with a heaping plateful of extras! Included is the previously-advertised optional music persistence patch as well as a patch that will completely remove the hack should you decide you don´t like it. But wait, that´s not all! Thanks to RHDN music guru optomon, the awkwardly muzaky Tobe! Gundam theme song has been replaced by Gallant Char, the track used in for UC units in SRW3, EX, and 4. As with music persistence, this patch is entirely optional, comes with a removal patch, and can be applied with any combination of the translation and music persistence patch, or it can just be applied on its own!

As if that weren´t enough, all this is releasing alongside a similarly-complete translation for the officially-emulated version of Super Robot Wars 2 on the GameBoy Advance!! Aeon Genesis has managed to insert the NES translation into the Famicom Mini version of the game that was released in limited quantities as a promotional contest item. It´s probably inferior to the NES version, but hey, more options! Music Persistence and Gallant Char are both fully functional with the FamiMini version of the game as well, and are included as optional patches (and removal patches) with the translation. That said, the Famicom Mini version hasn´t been tested extensively, and might be prone to weird issues that may or may not be caused by the translation. It´s really hard to tell, and honestly it was thrown together pretty quickly as a what-if effort. Regardless, enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net/)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Aeon Genesis Holiday Spectacular: Super Robot Wars 2 Twofer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
SRW2 was released in the Famicom Mini series as a limited edition? I thought it was Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble, the game that combines a Space Harrier clone with Thexder blatant copyright infringement :D (making it one of the few games to have raremono on two consoles).
Apparently they must've both been.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »
SRW2 was released in the Famicom Mini series as a limited edition? I thought it was Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble, the game that combines a Space Harrier clone with Thexder blatant copyright infringement :D (making it one of the few games to have raremono on two consoles).
Apparently they must've both been.

Yep, they were both apparently limited editions. I hadn't heard for the Z Gundam one until a few days ago though. SRW2 could be obtained by buying SRW GC, registering your serial number at Club Nintendo, and praying. There were only 2,000 of them given out.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »
This release puts the "merry" in my Christmas. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »
For those who are using VBA, do not use savestates! Better save the usual way. I think the game or the hack has issues with it. The button responses suddenly been unresponsive. I hunched that it has to do with the savestates, I opted on saving in-game and the now I'm playing thru nicely.  :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Ugh... I spoke to soon. The buttons been unresponsive again. Am I the only one having this problem?  :(
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:39:19 pm by Zynk Oxhyde »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:29:49 am »
We encountered that in (our admittedly brief) testing, actually. Not sure whether it's an emulator thing or whether there's something wrong with the translated rom. If you're going to use an emulator, I'd recommend just playing the NES version, as the Famicom Mini version is just the NES version emulated and with a very few minor changes to accommodate the crappy bundled-in emulator.

I'd honestly like to see someone try the game on an actual GBA. I wonder if the control thing happens on that too.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:14:25 am »
OMG the NES version looks better than the GBA version!  :o

And I've been playing the latter for about 9 episodes. Not gonna complain replaying it from the start on the NES this time.
(And the Getter change is 3d-ish too. ITT its only for GBA version!)

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 11:10:19 pm »
I wonder what is next?  I am hoping for two in specific but won't say which ones because then they will be pushed back (so I have heard)...

Ys 5 was the amazing news though!!

Any way, I have heard the SRW are hard games.  what is the best, most accessible one to start with for a nonfan?  prefer snes, psx (and genesis) sprgs so not too interested in the handheld versions..

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »
Depends on how badly you need them to be in English.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:27 am »
I'm currently on Scenario 15, I'm wanting to ask:

Spoiler:
Is it possible to save Rosamia; can I destroy the Psycho Gundam Mk.II?

Oddoai-sama

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 03:05:05 pm »
I'm currently on Scenario 15, I'm wanting to ask:

Spoiler:
Is it possible to save Rosamia; can I destroy the Psycho Gundam Mk.II?
Spoiler:
I know of no way to spare Rosamia even if you talked to her in episode 14.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:07:55 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, almost every character who gets killed in SRW2 is mysteriously resurrected for SRW3. Plot consistency be damned!

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 08:13:12 am »
Whew! Just finished the game! Just gonna point out one minuscule typo

Oh and I love/hate the unreal hit/evade ratio

:cookie:

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:57:22 am »
Thanks for the complete translation; just recently completed the first one via your Gameboy translation. I'm assuming there isn't any hidden treasure scattered around the map like there was in the first game? I guess that could be considered a good thing, since it was pretty annoying tracking everything down >_> Love seeing some colour after finishing the black-and-white instalment! Cheers.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:59 am »
As far as I know, the closest SRW2 comes to the hidden treasure thing is the occasional hidden shop, and those are always on city tiles so there's much less need to search.

constraint

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »
SRW has secret shops?