News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wanting help extracting Tribes Aerial Assault Assets  (Read 1066 times)

scaled_one

• View Profile
Wanting help extracting Tribes Aerial Assault Assets
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
Personal project of mine started out of nostalgia and the fact it hasn't been done yet. Halflife had it's ps2 assets ported over to PC. The added stuff might be nice to have.

Look, I know tribes 2 is pretty much  around simply because of dedicated oldsters that might see the ps2 game as watered down, but I mean just to have it y'know?

Wiki Link

Got an ISO ripped and... Now looking for tools to deal with the audio pkg files and the files.DAT file in the iso's /tribes directory.

Unlikely. But I'm hoping the actual files are compatible with tribes 2.

Data structure looks like this:

/root
     /tribes
     files.dat
          /data
               /media
               effects.pkg
               music.pkg
               training.pkg
               voice.pkg

Nothing I've found via google-fu will touch any of them including 7zip and I want to extract to compare against the pc version of tribes 2. Doubt it but it would be sorta nice if the raw assets are compatible with. Tribes 2 is pretty dead, so this is more out of curiosity and the fact nobody has bothered. Plus I like how a few of the weapons look in the ps2 version.

Help would be appreciated since I don't want one of the first PC games I'd played to be forgotten, even if this is 'just' it's ps2-ized half-sibbling that was marketed as a halo killer and failed miserably.

Edit: How would I go about trying to find which extraction scheme this .DAT file uses?

Ed 2: Idea. Is it possible to have an emulator spit out files based off the assets? Doesn't matter what the format is, it's got to play on a ps2, meaning something we already have can read it. The problem is making it spit out these assets into a file format that me the prospective end user can make use of.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:29:43 pm by scaled_one »

scaled_one

• View Profile
Re: Wanting help extracting Tribes Aerial Assault Assets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:49:38 pm »
No progress from my end (sadly.) However in an interesting turn of events the current owners of the Tribes IP have released several of the prior games in the franchise, including an ISO of the PS2 game.

http://www.tribesuniverse.com/

Im still clueless on how to extract this thing and I seriously want to compare the differences betwene tribes 2 and this thing asset-wise.