News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Contra - Mountain Challenge Special !  (Read 3131 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Contra - Mountain Challenge Special !
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:15:01 pm »
Contra - Mountain Challenge Special!

To all Contra fans, I've got a Christmas present for you. This is an experimental project I started only a few weeks ago, and it finally developed into a nice playable hack. I was inspired by those mini hacks that are only a level long. I recently played SMB3 mini hacks by Darkdata, and I thought I could do the same with a game I know very well...

What do you think the level 5 (Snow Field) would look like if it was vertical? Here it is, the Mountain Challenge. The goal is simple: reach the Trophy at the top as fast as possible. That's it. Single level, no boss. As a bonus, you are timed, and you get the result during the end credits. You have infinite lives, so you can't get a Game Over, but getting hit will delay you. The goal is to be as fast as possible...

This was made quite fast, considering the amount of ASM hacking involved. This is what I could call speed hacking, and speed learning...

Here's a list of things that were modified:

- Intro Screen, similar to the Intro of the 5th edition of Revenge of the Red Falcon, with different palettes and the Mountain Challenge title.
- The Status Screen, now showing your objective, no flashing, no score, no hi score, no remaining lives.
- The gameplay is basically the same, except you have infinite lives. Enemies are a little tougher, but not as tough as in RofRF.
- I changed the palettes of the background to a more strong blue tint, and more green in the trees. The sprites are also different, including the player's pants color.
- Taking the trophy (Eagle Weapon Item) at the top ends the level, and stops the timer.
- The end credits are different, and you can see the time you took to finish the level, so that you can try to beat it.

Rifle Man shoots random numbers of bullets (between 2 and 5), bullets are faster. The Turret Man was not modified. I used very few Mortar Shots, seeing that their behavior is weird in a vertical environment. I didn't use the special shrapnel shots, for similar reasons. There are also grenade generators, and Scuba Divers. Both were not modified. The Standard and F weapons can have 8 bullets on screen instead of 4...

I included a text file of all my ASM notes for the hack, for those who are interested. If you have any questions, let me know...

I had many other ideas that I wanted to implement, but I'm out of time for now. I'll be quite busy for the holidays, but I wanted to have something playable before Christmas. I will probably work on variations on this at a later time. These ideas include a version with lives, death counter (that could count as a time penalty), ranks according to performance, and keeping track of the best time...

Download the patch here. Use on Contra (U) [!].nes

I can usually reach the top under 2 minutes. Can you?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Contra - Mountain Challenge Special !
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »
What an cool hack!

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
Awesome stuff Trax! Not only fun, but inspiring. I kinda feel the urge to apply this concept to Metroid.

I did five runs of this, with times of 1:31, 1:29, 1:12, 1:16, and finally 1:10. If I could stop dying so much, I could probably come in under one minute. I recorded my 1:10 run and posted it here.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »
The link is broken.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »
Nice! Is this also going to be added to the final release of the hack (the vertical snow field stage) as a possible bonus level? :)
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »
The link is broken.
Seems to work for me.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:01 am »
Seems like it has been restored since yesterday !

That's a great hack !

I can reach the top under 2 minutes, but barely ^^

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
Seems like it has been restored since yesterday !

That's a great hack !

I can reach the top under 2 minutes, but barely ^^

I made it under 2 minutes on my first try just by dieing a lot.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:51 pm »
As usual, Snarf, always fast on the record button. I'm glad you people like it. After several runs, I realized that there were a few spots where dying could actually accelerate your progression. That's why I originally had the idea of a time penalty per death. Another cool addition would be a kind of kill bonus, where killed enemies would count toward a specific goal. Or simply fail the mission if you don't kill everything. Having a limited number of lives would be interesting, too...

Any other ideas?