News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Simphony of the Night Prologue Font??? (Spanish Translation)  (Read 2402 times)

Basilisk

• View Profile
I'm starting this Castlevania Translation project, i already found like four in-game fonts (all the same), but the issue is that i cant found the Font from the Prologue sequence, i searched a lot but i cant find it.
This image is from Gemini's Italian Translation, i just want to edit the font so i can put the ÁÉÍÓÚáéíóú characters in the font.

Sorry if my english is weird, i'll practice more.  :laugh:
Thanks for your attention. :)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Castlevania Simphony of the Night Prologue Font??? (Spanish Translation)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:47:58 am »
There is no font anywhere because the game pulls everything from the BIOS data segment, and later reprocesses the 16x15 1 BPP glyphs in order to fit them into a 12x15 set cached in real time. The only font available in the game's data is for the 8x8 set located inside DRA.BIN. What I did there was replacing all the text rendering functions (there are at least 40 of them) so that the game would use a proper set coming from the executable.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Basilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:46:21 am »
Thanks a lot Gemini  :D, anyway that sounds advanced for me, did you use Assembly for that? or how did you figure out that?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »
There are huge chunks of extra assembly code I had to inject, along with the required data. IIRC, I moved out of the way the code that converted the 16x15 1 BPP set to 12x15 4 BPP, replaced it with my proportional rendering code, and appended the new font at the end of it. The rest of the hack was patching most routines (like I said, the engine has loads of these, one per each game area and a few more for menu and prologue) to use this new rendering and support DTE.

Basilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:09:37 am »
Wow thanks for your answer, Assembly is not my thing but I'll try to learn. There is a lot of Docs, can you recommend me a document about Assembly in PSX? or should i start with the famous 6502?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:57 am »
Forget about that kind of documents --- instead grab yourself a MIPS R3000 manual with the full instruction set, get IDA to disassemble your stuff (with Pixel's flirt signatures, they should be here in the database), and find somewhere a copy of the Sony reference manual (any version should do it) to understand the PSY-Q API. These things, combined with a debugger emulator (suggestion: pSX 1.12 or 1.13) should provide you with all the tools you're going to need for such an ordeal. When you're familiar with the environment, try and find a function called "Krom2Addr".