News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania - hacking a hack  (Read 1467 times)

dACE

• View Profile
Castlevania - hacking a hack
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »
Hey!

I've been working on a special kind or hack lately - a graphics update only reboot of Castlevania. I ended up with the idea to restore the original levels and bosses to an already hacked version of Castlevania. I chose that approach since I tought the work would be less cumbersome that way - since I Could use the great tool 'stake' to great extent.

The original hack is called 'Overflow Darkness' and I'm basically done. I say basically because I've hit a roadblock. The hacker of the 'original hack' did quite a number on Frankenstein, well actually on Igor. Instead of jumping around firing a single fireball - he floats above Frankenstein and rapid-fires Tripple fireballs!!!

If someone could help me restoring Frankenstein and Igor, on the hack 'Overflow Darkness' and letting me know how to do it - I would be most pleased. It would be enough to restore the movement pattern - I've alredy done the new sprites.

P.S. Check out my first 'reboot' called Kid Icarus: ReTold - If you haven't already D.S.

Br, dACE a.k.a. Nitendo

December 06, 2013, 08:18:08 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hi...again!

Thought I should share what I got so far:

- The hack seem to have shifted some of the pointers 28 or 30 bytes forward - which makes it hard to compare the differences to the original in a hex editor.

- I managed to stop the sprite flickering by changing the value '67' to '6F' at address: x1E9B6

- The most promising offset seems to be x15944 (corresponds to address x1591c in the original rom).

The address x15944 contains the values: 40 ed 4c c9. When you exchange the value '40' for '10' - Igor starts to behave somewhat similar to what he is supposed to but there are obvious glitches.

And that is about all I got I'm afraid.

Br,
dACE
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:18:08 am by dACE »