News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Persona 5  (Read 14830 times)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Persona 5
« on: November 24, 2013, 06:46:18 am »
Winter 2014, for the PS3. And why yes, yes I did stay up til 6 in the morning and sit through 40 minutes of trolling to find that information out  :P
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:22 am »
you're a brave brave man

JirinPanthosa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:48:57 am »
I'm so happy it's not on a handheld.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:07:34 pm »
Meanwhile, there seems to be a gaiden persona game coming on the 3DS :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfqRXPXbQQ

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
The announcements before P5 were Persona Q, a crossover 3DS game. Persona 4: Arena 2, and Persona Dance. That last one was the third out of a supposed 3 announcements and it was one of the best trolls I've ever seen. People were freaking out, but I was too busy laughing to pay attention to their comments.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »
I'm so happy it's not on a handheld.

This.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:23:18 pm »
Given that there's no information aside from the fact that Persona 5 is coming out, I'm far happier that Chibisona is coming out for the 3DS.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »
Call me when Atlus stops pretending that Persona 1 and the Persona 2s never happened.

Spoiler:
The Nyarlathotep-like entity that's purportedly in Persona 4 Arena for all of five minutes doesn't count.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 11:39:30 pm »
Persona 2 is left out on this supposed Persona crossovers.

I really liked Lisa and Michel, minus the emo moments of course.

JirinPanthosa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 12:52:11 am »
Persona 1 and 2 are wonderful games but now Atlus wants Persona to be accessible.

I'm more annoyed that they dumbed down SMT IV than they don't do anything with Persona 1 and 2.  When I want to play Persona 2, I can just pop Eternal Punishment into my PS2.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:06 am »
Considering they did IS, EP, and P1 all for the PSP in recent years, I don't see how anyone can say they pretend they didn't happen. Granted it's not optimal, but at least they did something.

And actually I do think it's nearly optimal. Outside of a full on remake for P2, there's not really anything else I'd like to see done with that section of the series. It's fantastic as is; EP is probably still my favorite game of all time.

Spoiler:
I'm not even a big fan of Nyarly crossing over into the P4:A games. I'd rather personally just see everything wrapped up and move on.

However, to ease your pain slightly I'll give you this.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:37:48 am by Next gen Cowboy »

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:59:27 pm »
I'm going to put you fellow P1/P2 fans' worries to ease.

Hashino has deliberately said he doesn't touch P1 & P2 because they weren't his games. It's a respect thing.

And I respect that.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 02:00:58 pm »
Ahh! That makes more sense. So I don't have to worry about Maki and Lisa cropping up officially in any new Persona games and getting slandered and/or butchered. I'd rather have them remain as they were in memory than have them come back in some horrid shadow of their former selves.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:32 am »
I'm surprised anyone cares about the first three Persona games in this day and age. From what I've played of them, they haven't exactly aged well by Atlus's current standards.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 03:39:28 am »
Their stories are fantastic, and the game-play's pretty simple. I honestly didn't feel like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's battle system was any worse than Persona 3 Portable's... no, in fact, P3P's was a bit worse, since you could no longer skip battle animations except in auto-battle. Then we have how easily-likable the casts of P1 and the P2s are, whereas with Persona 3, I had to struggle to care about anyone other than my Mary Sue MC, and that was mostly because I was projecting myself onto her.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 04:15:19 pm »
Their stories are fantastic, and the game-play's pretty simple. I honestly didn't feel like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's battle system was any worse than Persona 3 Portable's... no, in fact, P3P's was a bit worse, since you could no longer skip battle animations except in auto-battle. Then we have how easily-likable the casts of P1 and the P2s are, whereas with Persona 3, I had to struggle to care about anyone other than my Mary Sue MC, and that was mostly because I was projecting myself onto her.
Aw, I thought Saori Hasegawa was a really interesting character.  I'm currently running through P3FES and yeah, I gotta say I actually think the writing's probably the weakest of any game in the series.  The character designs are phenomenal, probably Soejima's best work, but Persona 4's characters are much more memorable in a cartoon-y contrivances kinda way (which is to say that the characters are more cartoonish archetypes while Persona 3's are a bit too on the nose).

I still feel like Persona 2 IS/EP are the best games in the series, at least from a writing perspective.  I will be perfectly blunt in that I think none of the Persona series are particularly good games, but they are definitely interesting visual novels.

More curious still, I'm considerably lost when it comes to how Atlus views their protagonists.  What I mean by this is that they have a habit of making the protagonists change from blank slates into characters, and that presents a real problem for how the player is intended to associate with them.  Which is to say, I don't have problems controlling a character who is a blank slate or a character with a backstory, but Atlus seems to constantly waver between the two.  I'm not sure if it's a tradition thing or a money thing or a natural process of injection over time, but it is apparent that despite supposedly being blank slates, they definitely have character.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 04:52:49 pm »
I loved Persona 3's music, art, and environments, and doing daily stuff was kind of fun too, until I got 20 hours in and we were still at the point of nothing happening. Saori's the... librarian, rightt? She was nice, though I admit I never resolved her story. I was also kind of OK with meeting basically anyone except those who are/were on SEES, or any of the antagonists.

Which was my biggest problem; I felt nothing for Junpei, or Mitsuru, or Fuka, or any of them. They were all just kind of... dull cardboard. I went in expecting so much and came away with nothing. Like, Ulala Serizawa from Eternal Punishment--I expected her to be this fantastic multi-faceted character, but instead she had a lot going for her that ultimately never went anywhere. It's like SEES was populated entirely by Ulalas, but there weren't any Baofus or Nanjos or Tatsuyas or Makis or Yukinos to back them up.

...Sigh, I should get back to the Snow Queen Quest in P1.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:42 pm »
I loved Persona 3's music, art, and environments, and doing daily stuff was kind of fun too, until I got 20 hours in and we were still at the point of nothing happening. Saori's the... librarian, rightt? She was nice, though I admit I never resolved her story. I was also kind of OK with meeting basically anyone except those who are/were on SEES, or any of the antagonists.

Which was my biggest problem; I felt nothing for Junpei, or Mitsuru, or Fuka, or any of them. They were all just kind of... dull cardboard. I went in expecting so much and came away with nothing. Like, Ulala Serizawa from Eternal Punishment--I expected her to be this fantastic multi-faceted character, but instead she had a lot going for her that ultimately never went anywhere. It's like SEES was populated entirely by Ulalas, but there weren't any Baofus or Nanjos or Tatsuyas or Makis or Yukinos to back them up.

...Sigh, I should get back to the Snow Queen Quest in P1.
Yeah, Saori's the librarian. 

I wouldn't say they're dull cardboard, but they're not particularly well-written either.  I can certainly say that due to the way the game's structured, it's hard to really approach any level of mystique about characters.  The writing is all over the wall all the time and that's probably what is most off-putting about it.  The characters are genuine, it's just that they're too "out there" to ever really have any emotional clout.  It feels very staged, presented to you in full in a very piecemeal, didactic manner.  I suppose that's what makes the characters of Dark Souls so interesting.  They have huge backstories and the game only gives you just the barest hint of it, making the player spend tons of time to just get minute details. 

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
I enjoy every Persona game. I just frequently feel more compelled to defend P1 & P2 since they get so often reviled by people who don't really get the games.

Personally, I prefer P2 because it had more of a mature, occult sensibility than catering to JRPG tropes like P3 & P4(especially 4).

As said, I love P3 and P4, but their story definitely lacks a certain touch that Okada and Kaneko brought to P1 & P2.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 08:02:03 am »