News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 104322 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Project II
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:14 pm »
Every official translation.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 02:40:45 am »
Potayto, potahto, I don't really care. I just chose Troia because it sounds nicer, and it apparently is like a certain spelling of Troy, like Helen of Troy. So yeah. :)
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 09:53:59 am »
You have to go talk to Edward, yeah.

Sucks when you miss that part, and have to do the Lodestone Cavern all over again. :) Good times.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2014, 12:03:31 am »
At long last, v2.00 will be out soon. The latest update of ff4kster allowed for editing of item descriptions, which I hurried to do today before bed. I also removed the superfluous il / li / ll icons from field map labels. This should be the last update ever for Project II.

Edit - Unexpected bug has cropped up. Will still hopefully be out this month.

August 15, 2014, 10:01:12 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
v2.00 is up! This should be the final release. Here's a link for convenience. Item descriptions are in, and three bug fixes--two that are in the vanilla game, one that happened via hacking--have happened.

Edit - I'm putting a small bug fix for the odd "To equip" text here.

Quote from: Phoenix
In case anybody wants to use it, here's my fix to this message. For a FF2us ROM with header, paste in the following data at 0DBF2:

8E030E04D0035563646EFF72605C6B6A69FF646E0150046F726AC2635C695F605FC1FFFF00

It changes the window to two lines and the message to "This weapon is two-handed."

Courtesy of Phoenix Hacks.

I may also soon release an update that adds back in the Assassin Dagger to a chest in the game, the HandAxe to the Mysidia weapon shop, adds a save point in the final area of the final dungeon, and forces Break to be single-target with a long casting delay, though not as long as Warp's. It'd probably be the final update, unless I wanted to go and give certain enemies immunity to Stone status.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:06:39 pm by vivify93 »
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »
v2.01 is out! Updates include the integration of FFIV: User Options by chillyfeez.

New controls include:
  • You can now toggle sprinting by tapping the L Button.
  • There is a slow mode for airships to fine-tune landings, also toggled by tapping L.
  • You can press and hold the X Button to pass someone‚Äôs turn to someone else.
  • There are ATB percentage gauges available by pressing the SELECT Button.
  • You can now pick between Active and Wait battle modes instead of choosing Stereo and Mono sound.

The Beginner's Classroom has been updated to account for this. Also, the HandAxe and Assassin Dagger are now available to find in-game! The HandAxe was added to the Mist Village weapon shop, while the Assassin Dagger replaced a common item in a chest. Happy hunting! Adding to this, there is now an extra save point in the final dungeon. I lifted this idea from FFIV: Easy Type.

Lastly, I slightly rearranged Rosa and Yang's battle command lists. They now read as thus...
Rosa:
Fight
White
Aim
Pray
Item

Yang:
Fight
Focus
Kick
Brace
Item

Existing saves will work with these updates. There have also been minor typo fixes.

Come and get it!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:55:27 pm by vivify93 »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2014, 05:05:13 pm »
Not sure if this is a problem with the User Options patch or a patch conflict glitch, but sprinting is a little glitchy. If you toggle sprinting at a weird time (not sure of the exact timing, but I think it's toggle and move at the same time or something like that), it offsets your map position. Reminds me somewhat of the Mistwalker glitch, except not useful.

As you can see, I'm standing in water and not aligned with the terrain correctly.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2014, 05:54:44 pm »
Sweet. I'm going to check this out later tonight. I want to create an optional patch, if its possible, to change the name of things to their current names ala GBA/PSP/DS to keeps things up to date. It would be an option to patch over Project II so that folks still would need to download your project first.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »
Huh. User Options was designed in such a way that starting/stopping sprinting should be impossible while moving because of that type of glitch. If you can reproduce it, TheZunar123, let me know what the exact circumstances are so I can figure out how to fix it.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2014, 06:25:48 pm »
Yeah, I encountered that too, Zunar. It's weird, but not fatal since you can just zone out. Or you should be able to...

Edit -
I want to create an optional patch, if its possible, to change the name of things to their current names ala GBA/PSP/DS to keeps things up to date.
Not sure if you'd be able to do that entirely due to space restrictions, I wish you luck to do so as much as possible. :) Let me know when it's done.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:32:33 pm by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 06:36:56 pm »
I'll work with what I can. Obviously I might abbreviate some names because of it.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
*shakes a fist at Rodimus* Now I have to wait a bit longer.

Can't you at least do something about Final Fantasy V???:D :D :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »
*shakes a fist at Rodimus* Now I have to wait a bit longer.

Can't you at least do something about Final Fantasy V???:D :D :D

Well this is going to be an optional thing. Not all things can be renamed because of space restrictions. But, where its possible things will be to be close or match.

As for FFV, Spooniest did a great job with that, along with RPGe.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:04 pm »
Yeah, I encountered that too, Zunar. It's weird, but not fatal since you can just zone out. Or you should be able to...
You can zone out, you just have to realize how much the map is offset and compensate. Unless you get yourself stuck. Which is likely to happen.

@chillyfeez: Reproduced it and got some... interesting results. R.I.P. Troia.

I believe I have a consistent way to do it. Make sure you are walking and then walk in a direction. Before you reach the next tile (about halfway through), toggle. If you sprint through the rest of the tile, you're glitched out.

EDIT: I'm having fun messing around with this actually. Here I am just casually standing on a building.

Actually, casually may be a bit stretching it. I'm actually stuck. I can move one tile up (and back down), but I'm stuck in those two tiles. I was kinda asking for it, lol.

EDIT AGAIN: Don't try this on the world map, kids. Bad things will happen.

EDIT AGAIN x2: You know what, I'm having so much fun with this glitch I'm gonna make a video just to show you what can happen. brb recording
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:10:40 pm by TheZunar123 »
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »
Yeah.. You're not supposed to be able to toggle while mmoving. That's the problem.
Sorry, folks. That's on me. I'all get a fix out tomorrow. :crazy:

Latest Demo

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2014, 01:53:28 am »
As for FFV, Spooniest did a great job with that, along with RPGe.

Danke schoen.

I was inspired to remove all the cursing by vivify93's Project II...really, unless Tom Slattery says there's cusses, I don't buy it. And he doesn't seem willing to use more than "damn" and possibly "hell" in his FFVI Advance script.

Near as I can guess, from having read that Legends of Localization article, these things happen when the percieved "politeness level" in the Japanese script is difficult to pull off in English due to our comparatively limited social vocabulary. Unless I'm way off, which I'm sure somebody round here will be all too happy to point out.

But Final Fantasy V came off easy...I only regret not being able to fix the text in Mid and Krile's scene on the docked airship together...there's something weird going on there, but at least it looks clean now.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2014, 02:12:20 am »
Yeah, one of my goals was to somewhat follow Nintendo of America's guidelines at the time: no religious content (GodsFury being the only exception due to there be no alternatives I liked, maybe a few less overt religious references?) and no swearing. I was OK with light nudity, the fantasy violence provided by FF, and alcohol references (Although I'm pretty sure I wrote around it in most cases?) though. I'd even like to make the Baron dancer strip again if I could.

Not that I'm against religious content or swearing, I was just trying to make it match the era!

chillyfeez, do you think I could just apply the new User Options over the version applied to Project II?

Edit - I just need to stop and freak out. Tomato is playing Grimoire LD's Combat Boost, meaning he is also playing Project II. Senpai noticed me. Senpai noticed me. Senpai noticed me. SENPAI NOTICED ME MY LIFE IS FUCKING COMPLETE AGFRPH OTRHN IJO! !!!!!!

I apologize for the unprofessionalisms!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:41:51 am by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:00 am »

chillyfeez, do you think I could just apply the new User Options over the version applied to Project II?

I second that. Don't want to screw up the work I'm doing.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:27 am »
Yes, once I get it figured out. I worked til midnight last night so I didn't get into anything heavy when I got home, but I was able to reproduce the glitch in my game of Combat Boost, meaning it's been there since the get-go. I guess I never considered people may try to press buttons simultaneously. Or I never considered the game would treat simultaneous button pressing any differently, but it does.
So what I'll have to do is find a script that runs when the player is standing still and does not run when moving - I think I can zero in on the "else" of that which changes the x,y position when the d-pad is pressed, though I'm a bit concerned about whether there will be enough bytes to use there - then squeeze the dash toggle check in there... Anyway, once I figure out how this is going to work, it will all be done with code that overwrites what is already there, so I'll be able to make you a "dash fix" patch specifically for Project II.

Damn. Thought I might get to work on TfW a bit today, but...  :'(

Latest Demo

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2014, 10:45:01 am »
Before you do that Chillyfeez, I have another bug related to the sprint toggle. If you have sprint toggled on and then have the airship take you to the Tower of Zot, your movement speed when you get there is crazy fast. Like, airship movement fast. I caught it in my glitch video so you'll get to see it in action once I post the video, which will hopefully be sometime tonight. I'll post it here when it's up.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2014, 11:13:55 am »
That's bizarre, but should be an even easier fix. I imagine that will just be a matter of blanking out a "set speed" instruction that is likely unique to the "airship enters zot" routine (which I have disassembled before... If only slick productions was up right now...).

December 05, 2014, 02:56:55 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey, Vivify -
Any thoughts as to why I can't seem to get Project II to patch to my ROM?
SNESTL keeps telling me: "No file cut! IPS2 size error."
I'm kinda baffled...

I'll work on the fixes on my non-project II ROM if I can't get it to work. Theoretically, if it works on a regular FFIV, it should work the same on PII.

December 05, 2014, 05:21:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, OK, granted, I can't seem to actually play Project II, but I am pretty sure I fixed the bugs by working on my regular ROM.
This link is for a patch that will only fix the problems with UO2.0. It will not add the whole cadre of User Options to a clean ROM. That means, though, that it should work on a copy of Project II v2.01.
The following should be fixed now:
  • the glitch that caused the game to get out of sync when dashing is toggled at the end of a movement
  • super speed when entering the tower of zot
  • the ATB gauge not resetting back to max HP when fleeing a battle

Let me know if you guys find anything else I broke  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:21:33 pm by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo