News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 112205 times)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #640 on: September 14, 2017, 11:30:11 pm »
I noticed my script is kind of... lacking in detail, for lack of a better term. I had to be concise with some NPCs due to limitations within the data. For example, one NPC in the prologue says something like "I trust the king!" but in the 3D version, it's more verbose: "Despite his changes as of late, I place my full faith in His Majesty." (Paraphrasing in both instances, but you get the idea.)

As a result, Namingway Edition suffers the same problem, but it's not as bad as J2e blatantly making things up.

The only real limitations Rodimus had to deal with are the magic, item, and enemy names. "Menu strings," as I call them. To fit in more words, he would have to use digraph tiles--for example, the letter limit for spells is technically 5, but he was able to spell out the LV 3 lightning spell as Thundga. To do this, he used digraphs. (Or "squish tiles" as we call them in the scene; I prefer to call them digraphs despite this not being technically correct. It sounds a bit more professional.)

You can't go wrong either way, really.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 23, 2017, 07:05:39 pm »
Sounds good, I do seem to have a problem getting the game to load though.
I downloaded the latest version from here and patched it to the Rom stated that would work and when I go to load it into Snes9X, It just sits with a black screen. I will try a couple more things as I am sure it's probably something on my end during the patch process. But thought I would mention it just in case.
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 24, 2017, 02:40:32 am »
You're using Lunar IPS with a headered v1.1 ROM, right? Let me look into it.

Edit - I applied it to a headered v1.1 ROM with Lunar IPS and the game works fine. I think it might be something on your end, then. Did you use a different patcher, or an unheadered ROM maybe?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:45:09 am by vivify93 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:34 pm »
I'll try again, I checked and I am using Lunar. It has the Moon on the Icon.
It probably has something to do with the headered part since at the time I was patching both this one and the namingway version which requires no header. I may have gotten the originals mixed up. I'll give it another shot in a moment.  :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:35 am »
Alrighty! You can use TUSH to easily add or remove an SNES header. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:17:46 pm by vivify93 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »
I finally got it to work. Did a lot of trial and error. The (!) symbol was hard to find in a Rom but at last I found one.  :thumbsup:

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 10, 2017, 01:41:21 pm »
It had come to my attention that Namingway Edition's renaming menu was broken, so I checked Project II--it was broken there as well. That is to say, the cursor was invisible and it was difficult to navigate the menu. This has been fixed in v2.21, and I renamed Cid's daughter again--Hilda, an FFII reference. I figured this was more appropriate. :)

v2.21 is live on RHDN. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1659/ Grab it there.

Edit 1 - I'm aware that I forgot to update the version number on the site page, but when you go to download it, you will be getting v2.21.

Players of Namingway Edition, as soon as Rodimus finds the time, he'll be releasing a fixed version of his mod with the renaming menu fixed.

Edit 2 - Version number is changed, for those who care. :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:05:22 am by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:04 pm »
It had come to my attention that Namingway Edition's renaming menu was broken, so I checked Project II--it was broken there as well. That is to say, the cursor was invisible and it was difficult to navigate the menu. This has been fixed in v2.21, and I renamed Cid's daughter again--Hilda, an FFII reference. I figured this was more appropriate. :)

v2.21 is live on RHDN. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1659/ Grab it there.

Edit - I'm aware that I forgot to update the version number on the site page, but when you go to download it, you will be getting v2.21.

Players of Namingway Edition, as soon as Rodimus finds the time, he'll be releasing a fixed version of his mod with the renaming menu fixed.

Yeah, I've got to get to it this week. Got back from NYCC and I have a long list of things to get to!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:58 pm »
Yeah, I've got to get to it this week. Got back from NYCC and I have a long list of things to get to!

Good old New York City City.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2017, 10:54:36 pm »
Good old New York City City.

New York Comic Con actually. Was a fun week, but exhausting.