News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 112204 times)

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #560 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »
Hey vivify93, after a LONG hiatus, I finally have time to resume my play-through of your awesome hack. Since resuming, I have progressed from first stepping foot on the Moon, to defeating the Giant of Babil, and regaining Kain.

I'm experiencing 2 minor bugs. I should preface this by saying that I went from previously playing through v 2.4, to a now updated v2.8 by patching a clean ROM. This is being played on a SD2SNES flashcart on my SNES (hooked up to a 36' Sony Trinitron CRT, vivify93!). Firstly, there is a text error in my item list for the "Silk Web". There is a black box (I assume filling the space of one character) between the word "Silk" and "Web". There is also what looks like the dot of a lower case i floating above the letter "e" in "Web". These glitches persist as I move the item around the item list.

Secondly, I'm experiencing an oddity since I have reacquired Kain for the final time after defeating the Giant of Babil. For some reason, the character in the second slot in the party line-up is now the lead character on the overworld. I have Cecil at the top of the list and in the front rank, followed by Rosa second in the back, Kain third front, Rydia fourth back row, and Edge fifth front. No matter how I switch them around, the second character in the lineup is always the sprite represented in the overworld. Am I missing something here, or is this a bug?

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 10, 2015, 09:11:21 pm »
Since Spooniest can hack J2e's patch, maybe Project II can have a version for J2e's patch with my suggestions.

Dude, you are asking for a metric crapton of work to be done, and for what? So you personally can have your personal perfect version of ff4?

I'm not interested in investing the time it would take away from my career just for that...I'm sorry.

Why don't you get a copy of WindHex and go at it? I have a table file for the game that I'll share w you. PM me.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 pm »
Secondly, I'm experiencing an oddity since I have reacquired Kain for the final time after defeating the Giant of Babil. For some reason, the character in the second slot in the party line-up is now the lead character on the overworld. I have Cecil at the top of the list and in the front rank, followed by Rosa second in the back, Kain third front, Rydia fourth back row, and Edge fifth front. No matter how I switch them around, the second character in the lineup is always the sprite represented in the overworld. Am I missing something here, or is this a bug?
That's not a bug. I believe pressing R toggles through the overworld sprite. Or maybe it's the Y Button, I honestly don't remember. Just try hitting some buttons on the overworld, one of them will work.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »
Hey, welcome back, The_Atomik_Punk!. :) I just fixed the Silk Web issue. I thought I had caught all of them, but nope, Silk Web made it through somehow...

And yes, you need to press the R Button to cycle through teammates to get back to who you want to represent your team as you walk around.

Edit 1 - v2.09 changes thus far:
- Enemies who were changed to Leshy, Marilith, and Bavarois in v2.08 were reverted to their FFII US original names: Weeper, Screamer, and Slime.
- King Fabul is now said to have been the high monk back in the day.
- Fixed the Silk Web name bug.
- Changed the Uncurse Potion to Cross. I know, another religious reference where it doesn't belong... (Bringing FFIV up to a hefty three religious references! Nintendo of America wouldn't have let it pass by in 1991 with that, but eh, whatcha gonna do. I never liked the Uncurse Potion's name, and there are no good alternatives for Pray and GodsFury's names.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:24:33 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 10, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »
Also, The_Atomik_Punk!, not that it matters a whole heck of a lot, but the true lead character is the one in the middle.
Team priority goes: Center, Top, Bottom, 2nd Row Top, 2nd Row Bottom.
The only time you'll really ever notice this is when you get a Preemptive Strike on the enemy. That will be the order the party's turns occur when they all are ready at the exact same time.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:19 pm »
Thanks for the insight all of you; I must have hit R by accident when trying to toggle the run feature with L, and changed the lead sprite ::)

Good looking out, chillyfeez, I'll reorder my party with the information that you provided regarding turn priority when getting a preemptive strike.

*EDIT* So after a marathon session, I blitzed through the final section of the game... and was victorious! :thumbsup:

I got off to a really bad start against Zeromus though, as I opened with Rosa casting Pearl (BIG mistake!), which led to a losing battle trying to keep everyone alive. It got really dicey, to the point where I had just Cecil alive, and at REALLY low health. After battling back, reviving everyone and getting them up to full health, it was a cinch. Is this the beefed-up Japanese Zeromus, or the easier US version?

Two disconcerting things happened during that battle (apart from being at death's door on the brink of defeat); I had Edge open by throwing the Cleaver... and it did nothing!?! Secondly, I had Edge try to steal the dark matter from Zeromus, which someone advised me to do in order to reduce Zeromus's Big Bang attack power... and it failed 5 times before I gave up and moved on to have him throw.

I have one final piece of user feedback vivify93; I feel that the line by Zeromus " ...I am animosity!" really lacks weight, and is somewhat awkward in execution. The word "animosity" may very well be the literal translation for all I know, but for me, that line does not encompass the narrative momentum that I see the character of Zeromus expressing at this point. I see this line as the declaration by Zeromus that he is, in essence, the eternal, all-encompassing personification of evil in the Universe.

Here is my proposed alternative: "...I am the Darkness behind the Stars!"

That line (originally from the film Event Horizon) has always been one of the most unsettling that I have heard, and would in my opinion perfectly fit with the tone and context of this scene in question.

In addition, I must echo what I'm sure others have said- FuSoYa's final line of "live long and prosper!" was for me really painful; it completely detracted from the immersion of the moment, and was ultimately distracting.

Well, that's all I can think of in terms of user feedback, let me just close by saying THANK YOU vivify93 for your passionate work; I'm glad I had the opportunity to play through such a quality hack- you're truly a credit to the community!  :beer:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:55:59 am by The_Atomik_Punk! »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 12, 2015, 09:56:42 am »
I can remove the fandom-I'm-not-even-into reference, (This would probably also entail me removing the following lines. Golbez: Why so serious, Kain?; Lugae: This isn't even my final form!) but in no way am I going to insert another movie reference while inserting another.

Tentative replacements:

(v2.08 > v2.10)

Golbez: Why so serious, Kain? > Golbez: You forget yourself, Kain.

Lugae: This isn't even my final form! Lugae: I'll best you yet, you curs!

Fusoya: We must go now. Live long and prosper. > Fusoya: We must go now. May your lives be long and healthy.

Mini Person: Hoity toity! They might be giants! > Hoity toity! Are you guys giants?!

Need a better replacement for "We are animosity!" than a movie reference, though. Sorry. Not taking out references / memes and inserting new ones.

Can anyone else remember any references or memes I might've inserted? I know there's a They Might Be Giants reference in Silvera, ("Hoity toity! They might be giants!") but I can't remember any others. I tried to be natural about it.

Edit - Added in all the references and their replacements.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:36:36 pm by vivify93 »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 12, 2015, 10:34:08 am »
Thanks for the insight all of you; I must have hit R by accident when trying to toggle the run feature with L, and changed the lead sprite ::)

Good looking out, chillyfeez, I'll reorder my party with the information that you provided regarding turn priority when getting a preemptive strike.

*EDIT* So after a marathon session, I blitzed through the final section of the game... and was victorious! :thumbsup:

I got off to a really bad start against Zeromus though, as I opened with Rosa casting Pearl (BIG mistake!), which led to a losing battle trying to keep everyone alive. It got really dicey, to the point where I had just Cecil alive, and at REALLY low health. After battling back, reviving everyone and getting them up to full health, it was a cinch. Is this the beefed-up Japanese Zeromus, or the easier US version?

Two disconcerting things happened during that battle (apart from being at death's door on the brink of defeat); I had Edge open by throwing the Cleaver... and it did nothing!?! Secondly, I had Edge try to steal the dark matter from Zeromus, which someone advised me to do in order to reduce Zeromus's Big Bang attack power... and it failed 5 times before I gave up and moved on to have him throw.

I have one final piece of user feedback vivify93; I feel that the line by Zeromus " ...I am animosity!" really lacks weight, and is somewhat awkward in execution. The word "animosity" may very well be the literal translation for all I know, but for me, that line does not encompass the narrative momentum that I see the character of Zeromus expressing at this point. I see this line as the declaration by Zeromus that he is, in essence, the eternal, all-encompassing personification of evil in the Universe.

Here is my proposed alternative: "...I am the Darkness behind the Stars!"

That line (originally from the film Event Horizon) has always been one of the most unsettling that I have heard, and would in my opinion perfectly fit with the tone and context of this scene in question.

In addition, I must echo what I'm sure others have said- FuSoYa's final line of "live long and prosper!" was for me really painful; it completely detracted from the immersion of the moment, and was ultimately distracting.

Well, that's all I can think of in terms of user feedback, let me just close by saying THANK YOU vivify93 for your passionate work; I'm glad I had the opportunity to play through such a quality hack- you're truly a credit to the community!  :beer:

Well done in beating FFIV! I am glad to see you enjoyed my personal favorite FF through and through, now there are a few things here...

I believe this *should* be the more difficult Zeromus if my suggestions were taken up with the increased spell powers from the Japanese version. Zeromus was never that difficult of a boss though in any version but the EasyType (where one of his moves are to cast Doom on your entire party)

There is mention of that Cleaver missing again... you're not the first person to have that happen to, I don't know what could cause that unless thrown during the interim phase possibly? I imagine that's not the case though.

Secondly, I had Edge try to steal the dark matter from Zeromus, which someone advised me to do in order to reduce Zeromus's Big Bang attack power... and it failed 5 times before I gave up and moved on to have him throw.

...It's been nearly 25 years and that rumor is Still going around? The Dark Matter does Nothing. There is no special code in Big Bang that looks at whether a Dark Matter is held in order to reduce its damage. That's still amusing that the old playground rumor of a harder Japanese Zeromus could be mitigated by stealing the Dark Matter is still alive and well after all of this time.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 12, 2015, 11:01:59 am »
No, Grimoire LD, the restored enemy difficulties were in Namingway Edition. Should still be.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 12, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »
...It's been nearly 25 years and that rumor is Still going around? The Dark Matter does Nothing. There is no special code in Big Bang that looks at whether a Dark Matter is held in order to reduce its damage. That's still amusing that the old playground rumor of a harder Japanese Zeromus could be mitigated by stealing the Dark Matter is still alive and well after all of this time.

That's too funny man; I hate looking things up in FAQS; it completely sucks the fun out of games for me in this internet age of insta info. You're right- I totally did hear this rumor from a buddy of mine! :laugh: That really reminds me of the good ol' NES days, when the most fantastical and creative urban legends existed around so many games, but usually amounted to absolutely nothing!

I can remove the fandom-I'm-not-even-into reference, (This would probably also entail me removing the following lines. Golbez: Why so serious, Kain?; Lugae: This isn't even my final form!) but in no way am I going to insert another movie reference while inserting another.

Need a better replacement for "We are animosity!" than a movie reference, though. Sorry. Not taking out references / memes and inserting new ones.

That line that I suggested did not first appear in the screenplay of Event Horizon (a film which I'm sure the vast majority of people have never even seen much less heard of). Furthermore, it's not an iconic slogan from a recognizable source, unlike the other three memes you cited, and is not identified with Event Horizon by anyone.

The origin of "I am the darkness behind the stars" dates back to the religion of Zoroastrianism, an ancient Persian philosophy which predates Christianity and Judaism, and where some scholars believe that the then enslaved Hebrews may have gotten the idea of One God, as well as many other re-purposed stories such as Noah's Ark, The Garden of Eden, etc). The line I suggested describes the destructive spirit aspect of the divine, Angra Mainyu, or in middle Persian as Ahriman (ring any bells, Final Fantasy fans?).

I feel that my suggestion is an excellent alternative. If, however you disagree, I can accept that; but I can't accept that it's not a worthy amendment due to that line being some pop culture reference or internet meme, because it's not.  I've yet to hear anyone say "Event Horizon!" if that line is mentioned in a conversation.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 12, 2015, 03:27:26 pm »
Memes removed. I remember I mentioned what memes / references I put in Project II in one of Mato's streams, so I shall go look for that.

Edit 1 - Nope, those four are the only ones, and they're all gone. (The new mini's line in Silvera is "Hoity toity! Are you guys giants?!") This shall be in v2.09. As I understand it, you're done with Project II, right, The_Atomik_Punk!?

Edit 2 - You reference beating Zeromus, so yeah, you're done, as far as I can tell. v2.09 will come out either later today or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:11:43 pm by vivify93 »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 12, 2015, 04:16:44 pm »
Memes removed. I remember I mentioned what memes / references I put in Project II in one of Mato's streams, so I shall go look for that.

Edit 1 - Nope, those four are the only ones, and they're all gone. (The new mini's line in Silvera is "Hoity toity! Are you guys giants?!") This shall be in v2.09. As I understand it, you're done with Project II, right, The_Atomik_Punk!?

Edit 2 - You reference beating Zeromus, so yeah, you're done, as far as I can tell. v2.09 will come out either later today or tomorrow.

Yes indeed I am; no additional feedback to be had from me! I look forward to your future projects, vivify93 - see ya around!  :thumbsup:

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 12, 2015, 04:23:44 pm »
Thanks for all your feedback, The_Atomik_Punk!. :) I do appreciate it, even if I seemed hardheaded at times.

v2.10 (Decided to skip v2.09 in favor of a more round number.) has been submitted.

Changes:
- Enemies who were changed to Leshy, Marilith, and Bavarois in v2.08 were reverted to their FFII US original names: Weeper, Screamer, and Slime.
- King Fabul is now said to have been the high monk before becoming king.
- Fixed Silk Web name bug.
- Changed Uncurse Potion to Cross.
- They Might Be Giants, The Dark Knight, Star Trek, and "This isn't even my final form!" references eliminated.

Edit 1 - You can also get it here if you're eager to upgrade.

Hopefully, this is the last update for a few months, until something major happens.

Edit 2 - Submission approved, now on RHDN official page.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:37:00 pm by vivify93 »

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 14, 2015, 08:10:20 am »
Instead of Cross, How about Revivify?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 14, 2015, 02:50:14 pm »

Why didn't I think of that? Thank you, Cavery210. That's even an FFVI item name, too.

Edit 1 - v2.11 has been submitted. I won't upload it here since it's such a minor change.

Edit 2 - Also, I noticed my CRT TV is the exact same kind The_Atomik_Punk! used. Sony Trinitron. Not sure if it's the same size, though. Mine has some awful pincushion distortion going on, but eh, it was free, and I figure it adds to the authenticity. :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:38:05 pm by vivify93 »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2015, 06:26:48 pm »
FFVI item name AND subtle nod to the creator to boot.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 14, 2015, 09:05:25 pm »
When I threw the kitchen knife and it was ineffective, it was right when he was transitioning, so perhaps that is the reason. The next time I played, I threw it later and it worked.

Good call removing the pop references, I think.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2015, 07:15:21 am »
There's still a reference to Namingway Edition in the credits in the Romhacking.net page. Also can you change Silver to Mithril and Fury into Bserk and Nuke into Flare because I remember FF6us used that name. Also the Ninja sword could be changed to Forged as FF6 uses that name. Oh, and Eggtimer into WakeBell because Eggtimer sounds dumb. Also did you change Skelton to Skeleton?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »
There's a reference there because Rodimus did a lot of work and I'd still like to thank him. I'm not changing Silver to Mythril; that's something for Namingway. It was called Silver in FFI, so it stays as Silver here. Bserk / Bersk is not coming back. Skelton has been Skeleton since the v1.00. Eggtimer is staying. It's not becoming Wake Bell. Nuke can't become Flare because of Bahamut's MegaNuke. If I changed Nuke to Flare, it'd be MegaFlre or MegaFlar. Besides, it's Nuke FFI. The point of Project II is to be a natural bridging point between Phil Sandhop's FFI and Ted Woolsey's FFVI.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »

Why didn't I think of that? Thank you, Cavery210. That's even an FFVI item name, too.

Edit 1 - v2.11 has been submitted. I won't upload it here since it's such a minor change.

Edit 2 - Also, I noticed my CRT TV is the exact same kind The_Atomik_Punk! used. Sony Trinitron. Not sure if it's the same size, though. Mine has some awful pincushion distortion going on, but eh, it was free, and I figure it adds to the authenticity. :P

I'm frequently amazed by how small a world this is.

I owned a Trinitron back in the day too!