News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV v2.42  (Read 189446 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #440 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:16 pm »
I'd really like to fix / do all those things, but I don't know how! :( Of them all, I think the most viable would be to have Child Rydia learn Cure2 via leveling. She'd still learn it in the event since I don't know how to delete events, (Maybe I could change it to she learns nothing instead of Cure2?) but at least it'd be usable.

Any other thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:25:14 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »
I know Rodimus expresed indifference on whether this gets figured out or not, but it's info I might want to use eventually anyway, so...

How to Turn "Call" into a Five Characer Word in the Magic Menu:
1) Open ROM with a hex editor
2) Jump to $00/B1A3
3) Change the two bytes at B1A3 from "FC B1" to "0B B2"
4) Jump to $00/B40C
5) Change it from "00" to "01"
6) Fill in your five character label beginning at B40D

That'll do it.

EDIT: These offsets are in ROM with header, btw
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:30:58 pm by chillyfeez »
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2015, 11:36:47 pm »
Sweet. Just did this now and its looking good. Summon fits just right now. I'm going to do a couple optimizations and release this very soon.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:45 am »
Found a bug. The Captain in the Fabul battle event says Captain: Golbez: Shadow was..

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:18 pm »
I checked both Project II and Namingway in FF4kster, and Battle Msg. #82 (Captain: Charge!) was fine in each version. I tested Project II and it looks like it displays fine... I should check Namingway though.

Edit - I checked both, and they seem to be fine... no idea how you're experiencing that bug.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:17:49 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
It looks like the sort of bug one has when one uses a header on a non-headered rom, actually, doesn't it?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »
It looks like the sort of bug one has when one uses a header on a non-headered rom, actually, doesn't it?

You mean uses a non-headered ROM with a patch that requires a header? Yes. It does sound like that.

Project II requires a headered ROM. If your ROM isn't headered, use Tush before patching.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »
Yes, that, blah.

I'd say it might be easier to offer non-headered patches, but that'd just make -four- patches in your files to gave out.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 10, 2015, 10:17:11 am »
Namingway Edition is now updated to Version 1.04. Lots of little fixes including the Summon in the magic menu (big thanks to chillyfeez!)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 10, 2015, 02:00:50 pm »
Is there any way you could alter the programming of Project II to make it so you hold the B button to dash?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 10, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
That was chillyfeez 's work with his User Options patch. He made it the L button to toggle but it can be switched to the B button. But the hold to dash I don't think is feasible.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:52 pm »
Switched to the B button you say?

Good assembly coding should do the trick id think

Idk why nobody wants to write code, I guess it's just too hard

But thank you I didn't think of that

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »
My ROM was headered i think.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 10, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »
I would think the hold to dash wouldn't be that difficult?  I'm not sure on how it works in most games but I'm pretty much assuming it's checking if you're holding down the button, if so, increase speed, otherwise load default.  I wouldn't THINK it'd be too difficult but I'm not sure.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »
My ROM was headered i think.

I'd double check. Download the new version anyway. Use a clean 1.1 ROM and use Tush to add a header. Then patch either Vanilla OR Namingway Project II over it.

I think it has to do with understanding of the code. I'm sure chillyfeez tried, as others probably have before. If you think you can do it, I say go for it.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 10, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »

I would think the hold to dash wouldn't be that difficult?  I'm not sure on how it works in most games but I'm pretty much assuming it's checking if you're holding down the button, if so, increase speed, otherwise load default.  I wouldn't THINK it'd be too difficult but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, it is by no accounts easy, or in my experience even possible to make it actually work.
Don't get me wrong, I love writing code. It's my favorite part of ROM hacking, and User Options has a lot of custom written code. But the problem with the option to hold the L button (or B if you prefer) is that the game gets out of sync any time the speed changes while moving. If anybody here wants to take a crack at making it work, be my guest. But I will be extremely impressed if you can get it to work. I have literally spent hours on the venture and come up empty, which is why I went with a toggle.

By the way, if you read the ReadMe for User Options, I included simple instructions on how to switch to B button running (instead of L). It involves changing only (I think) two bytes with a hex editor).
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2015, 10:08:30 pm »
Unfortunately, it is by no accounts easy, or in my experience even possible to make it actually work.
Don't get me wrong, I love writing code. It's my favorite part of ROM hacking, and User Options has a lot of custom written code. But the problem with the option to hold the L button (or B if you prefer) is that the game gets out of sync any time the speed changes while moving. If anybody here wants to take a crack at making it work, be my guest. But I will be extremely impressed if you can get it to work. I have literally spent hours on the venture and come up empty, which is why I went with a toggle.

By the way, if you read the ReadMe for User Options, I included simple instructions on how to switch to B button running (instead of L). It involves changing only (I think) two bytes with a hex editor).

Oh, I was just going to reconfigure my buttons lol

There's got to be a way to get an emulator to recgonize two buttons mapped to the same button on the pad.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2015, 10:36:50 pm »
Namingway Edition is now updated to Version 1.04.
It's amazing! Makes me want to replay the whole thing again. Are you planning to do more squishy tiles to update mores names for Namingway, or is this it?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:49 pm »
It's amazing! Makes me want to replay the whole thing again. Are you planning to do more squishy tiles to update mores names for Namingway, or is this it?
I think I'm content at this point. Unless there are any glaring issues, I don't think any more is necessary unless vivify93 comes up with any changes.

Oh, I was just going to reconfigure my buttons lol

There's got to be a way to get an emulator to recgonize two buttons mapped to the same button on the pad.

I kind of like it on the L button for it being toggle. If it was a hold to dash, I'd prefer the B button of course.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:45 am »
What do you mean the game gets out of sync?  Like how the character moves per pixel just decides to go off track or is there something else that goes awry?
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'