News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 104319 times)

TheZunar123

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Project II
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
Yep it was a J2E save file that caused the problem. Of course, that meant starting fresh.  :banghead:
You could've just went to Namingway and changed the names back, y'know. :P
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:39 am »
Nah. I was close enough to be the beginning anyway. Besides, I'm also playing alongside FF II to see the changes made as I go along.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »
I just noticed something weird. You know the magic icon that appears next to every spell? It sometimes messes up:
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 12:37:27 am »
That's actually in every Super Famicom / Super Nintendo version of Final Fantasy IV / Final Fantasy II. I'm no expert, so the best I can explain it is this: It's because the color black is being viewed as transparent, thus creating the look of a "hole". The only way to "fix" it would be to remove the color black from the black magic icon entirely, and I'm not comfortable with doing that.
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

DrROBschiz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 12:22:34 pm »
Really cool update!

If only there were tools available for modders to work on FFIV Complete

Would love to see a remix/rebalance on a much prettier rendition of the game

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »
vivify93 :
This is a really great project. I'm glad someone finally picked this up. I never liked the j2e translation, the font is horrible, the text boxes are oversized / looks ugly, and there is this swearing all the time.

I like that this is an edition of the american Final Fantasy "II" release, because this version doesn't need hours of grinding. Who still enjoy this, seriously ?

However I have to say something. It's a great idea to use the "ll" and "il" idioms for "Cecil" and "Tellah" but you should also use them in the game's text. You could also use idioms for "ill", "ili" and "lli" as in the FF3 translation. (only requires 4 additional tiles : i + half a l, l + half a l, and half a l + i, half a l + l)

Also I think lines starting in "Soldier A:" are hard to read. I don't know why buy they look strange. You should probably add a quote after the ':', or at least a space.

I wish you best of luck for potential future updates of this project.

And, by the way, yes the FF4A version of the game is very slow. Even moving your cursor in menus in slow in this version. However it has nice translations in many languages, the graphics are updated, the game is still very close to the original, and there is my awesome sound restoration patch. The main advantage is that after playing it, going back to the original makes it feel very fast, even on a PAL console.

Fixing the black magic icon bug is theoretically possible (by dynamically placing a black tile on the background when this window show up, and then placing a normal background tile again), but it's probably not worth the trouble.
Note that the same bug appears every time you find an item with an associated symbol in a chest, and it's present in the equip menu itself too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:09:58 pm by Bregalad »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »
However I have to say something. It's a great idea to use the "ll" and "il" idioms for "Cecil" and "Tellah" but you should also use them in the game's text.
I actually mentioned that on the first page. His response was:

Well, I used it for Cecil because you can actually name him. If you noticed, I didn't use any of the il / li / ll icons in the out-of-battle dialogue, just the menu text and in-battle stuff. Since "Cecil" is a name variable, it counts as a menu item even when drawn in the out-of-battle dialogue, so it can display properly in dialogue because of that. il / li / ll all use the same hex byte as dual-tile encoding for the main game script; even if I wanted to insert them, it wouldn't work. In the Sheila example, it would show up as "Shetha" due to the il icon sharing the "th" DTE's byte. I hope this makes sense.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »
Oh I'm sorry I didn't see it.

And I'm absolutely sure there is a way to make it work for out-of-battle dialogue, too. It just needs a very simple hack into the DTE routine, to change the lower/upper bounds of DTE encoding range of values.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 04:29:45 pm »
Actually, I was wondering if I should maybe remove the il / li / ll tiles in places they're not needed. This would be basically every place except the battle dialogue and most enemy names. They'd still be available on the Namingway screen, though. Thoughts?
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:09 pm »
Oh I'm sorry I didn't see it.

And I'm absolutely sure there is a way to make it work for out-of-battle dialogue, too. It just needs a very simple hack into the DTE routine, to change the lower/upper bounds of DTE encoding range of values.

That depends.  If the 'il' and 'll' etc.. icons are mid-way through, you've got a huge problem then.  Plus, all the values that DO use the DTE would have to be edited in the script otherwise you'll be getting some funky text strings.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

vx

• View Profile
    • SNES VX TRANSLATIONS
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 07:49:38 pm »
It's about time someone did it  ;D

Good job.
"A hack of all trades but a master of none"

VX

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:18 pm »
Thank you, vx!

To everyone, I'm releasing an emergency fix patch for Project II. You will not need to start your game over; however, you will need to apply the new patch to a clean, unaltered version of the v1.1 FFII US ROM.

Click here for Project II v1.01 EMERGENCY FIX. It can also be found on the first page.

What was fixed in this patch? Oh, some character syntax things, a few minor problems here and there, removed gratuitous use of the il / li / ll icons... and fixed a balance-shattering problem.

You see, before, the new and improved Warp had a 100% chance of hitting anything in battle, including bosses. I one-shotted Zeromus with this piddly little spell. I made sure it can't hit bosses anymore, and drastically lowered its hit percentage to 40%. Sorry, everyone. To make up for this, I upped Doom's hit rate by 10%.

EDIT: here is the updated RHDN entry.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:57:21 pm by vivify93 »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:59 am »
Plus, all the values that DO use the DTE would have to be edited in the script otherwise you'll be getting some funky text strings.
True, but in my opinion if you change the text you should update the DTE table to match the new script anyway. But that's not my hack, and I understand there is little reason to go through the trouble to do this when it's very easy to expand the ROM instead.

SabinSuplexedATrain

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 09:06:36 am »
I would love to try this, but I have a problem. I applied the patch but when I open the rom, a message says its corrupted and there's nothing but a black screen. I ran the rom through Goodtools so it should be a perfect dump. I don't know what else to do.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
Make sure its a clean ROM but that it also has a header. Then it should be fine. Also do not use existing save files as it may cause naming errors.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 05:33:35 pm »
I would love to try this, but I have a problem. I applied the patch but when I open the rom, a message says its corrupted and there's nothing but a black screen. I ran the rom through Goodtools so it should be a perfect dump. I don't know what else to do.
You're applying it to Final Fantasy II v1.1 for SNES with a header, right? Let me know if you are and I'll see if I can't sort out the problem.  :)

SabinSuplexedATrain

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »
You're applying it to Final Fantasy II v1.1 for SNES with a header, right? Let me know if you are and I'll see if I can't sort out the problem.  :)

No it didn't have a header, but I found one that did and now the patch works, I think. I still have one question though, the title screen reads "Final Fantasy IV" like expected, but there's two dots that are not in the title screen pic on the first page. One of these dots is next to the "I" in "IV" making it look like "A," and another is in the space inside the "V." I was just wondering if they were supposed to be there or if this means my rom is messed up. I'd post a screenshot but I don't think it'll let me.

December 17, 2013, 06:20:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No it didn't have a header, but I found one that did and now the patch works, I think. I still have one question though, the title screen reads "Final Fantasy IV" like expected, but there's two dots that are not in the title screen pic on the first page. One of these dots is next to the "I" in "IV" making it look like "A," and another is in the space inside the "V." I was just wondering if they were supposed to be there or if this means my rom is messed up. I'd post a screenshot but I don't think it'll let me.

Here's what I'm tal;king about (I just learned how to use imgur)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »
a lot of people have had that title screen problem, and i think they said their issue was using a ROM without a header. you specifically said you are using a header, though, so i don't know what gives...

anyone have any ideas?

SabinSuplexedATrain

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 07:41:49 pm »
a lot of people have had that title screen problem, and i think they said their issue was using a ROM without a header. you specifically said you are using a header, though, so i don't know what gives...

anyone have any ideas?

To be honest, I have no idea what a header is. However I;ve heard that certain patches need them on a ROM so I found a program here on Romhacking.net that tells you if your SNES ROM has a header and the program says it does. It's not that big of a problem, at least it seems to work. It just bugs my OCD that the titlescreen is not perfect. WHY oh WHY couldn't Square have just gave the U.S. Final Fantasy games their CORRECT name in the first place?

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
Maybe you're using version 1.0. That's the only thing I can think of.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR