News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 104317 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Project II
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »
Yes, that move definitely had the slowdown.

The one move I think I successfully performed ONCE on my SNES controller but did pretty consistently when I played the GBA game on my original DS. :P
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
Did you know that there's an optional blitz input that has no diagonals? Left, Left, Down, Right, Right also works.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 01:47:01 am »
Okay so I've played through beating OctoMammoth, and I must say the translation is now much more readable then before. Kaipo was such a mess in FFIIUS that it was almost confusing. I decided to try and play through FFIIUS along with Project II to see the changes. The dummied content returning is so welcome that I had a hard time in the US version without Darkness. I almost forgot that it was taken out. I noticed that some of the spells seem weaker on some monsters or that maybe they are beefed up a little. The Zombies took an extra Fire spell, which was odd. But Tellah's 8 extra MP helped. Speaking of Tellah, I actually prefer the h at the end of his name. I know it might be a challenge but, please keep him as Tellah! The monsters you did rename are much better than before. Toebiter sounds better than Pike.

I know you said you still had to go through the item names and descriptions. The D showing up I understand is place holder. Since you are going to be working on them, I much prefer the established names where possible. Tonics and Tinctures still do not seem right in FF4. I know it was Cure1, Cure2, etc in FFIIUS, but Potion, HiPotion (if possible Hi Potion or Hi-Potion) I think works better in general, IMHO. Also, I'm not sure what you named Rosa's White spell, but I'm sure it was suppossed to be Holy.

All in all, Project II has been very enjoyable so far.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 03:43:45 am »
True, but that slowdown also exists in FFVI Advance with one of Sabin's blitzes. I believe it's called Rising Pheonix? It's the fire one where a bunch of red Sabin clones fly around the enemies.
That's the thing, though, FFIV Advance has slowdown everywhere. V Advance and VI Advance only have some isolated incidents.

Thank you for the praise, Rodimus Primal! :) I'm glad you're enjoying the Project.

Speaking of Tellah, I actually prefer the h at the end of his name. I know it might be a challenge but, please keep him as Tellah!
I'm not changing any of the established character names. The closest thing I did was insert il / ll icons into Tellah and Cecil's names.

Since you are going to be working on them, I much prefer the established names where possible. Tonics and Tinctures still do not seem right in FF4. I know it was Cure1, Cure2, etc in FFIIUS, but Potion, HiPotion (if possible Hi Potion or Hi-Potion) I think works better in general, IMHO. Also, I'm not sure what you named Rosa's White spell, but I'm sure it was suppossed to be Holy.
The thing about that is, though, that if I changed those, it'd be going against one of the Project's goals: to make the game seem like a natural bridging point between Phil Sandhop's FFI and Ted Woolsey's FFVI. In all honesty, thanks to the FF Legend games and FF Mystic Quest--also released around the era of FFII US--I kind of wanted to keep them as Cure Potions, but decided that the spells and the potions didn't need to have the exact same name.

Also, feel free to report any typos and grammar errors here, too, everyone! :)
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:01 am »
I'm with Rodimus Primal here, the script is MUCH better than before. I'm up to the point where you sneak into Baron Castle after getting Yang back and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I also agree with not changing the names. The one time I did play J2e, the changed names bothered me so much I had to change them back ASAP.

The beefed-up commands (Salve and Pray) are so much more useful now as well. They're actually worth using, unlike before. But speaking of commands, there's one that I think needs a buff: Yang's Focus. It does about 2x damage but it takes another turn to unleash, so you're better off just having him attack twice. Unless it doesn't take another turn or my math is off or I'm just crazy. Probably crazy.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »
Focus also doesn't trigger counterattacks from monsters that have them, which is handy.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 12:05:36 am »
I didn't know that, actually. Then again, how many monsters DO counter physical attacks? I know the Antlion does, but what else?
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 01:16:24 am »
Don't needle-rats and tiny mages counter?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 05:21:20 am »
Pretty much all SwordRat variants counter, and MiniMage variants counter with Psych if you attack them with magic.
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
Screw MiniMages, I always run from them. Too much trouble.

I'm up to Troia now, by the way. One thing that REALLY drove me up the wall was how J2e called Rosa a whore. That's going way too far. Nothing like that was in the original or official release, so someone obviously wrote that in to try and be funny. Well, *expletive* you, whoever wrote that in. Sarina (my Rosa) is NO whore, I'll have you know! [/endrant]
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »
Yeah, Rosa never really does anything all that bad of her own will to be called a name like that.

Not that there's anything wrong with prostitution, IMO... But the word whore carries with it a certain strength.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »
Wow! I definitely don't recall that. But I would never put it past that script, either.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »
Screw MiniMages, I always run from them. Too much trouble.

I'm up to Troia now, by the way. One thing that REALLY drove me up the wall was how J2e called Rosa a whore. That's going way too far. Nothing like that was in the original or official release, so someone obviously wrote that in to try and be funny. Well, *expletive* you, whoever wrote that in. Sarina (my Rosa) is NO whore, I'll have you know! [/endrant]

j2e's was almost certainly way over the top, I recall in the post-Giant of Babil cutscene, Rydia threatened to cut Cecil's testicles if he didn't let her join. :o

And another enemy that counters, I believe: the Dark Knight.
It was something like

To be a true Paladin,

you must not fight now.

Well I always have plenty of Cure2 potions, so screw that, I'm going to fight anyways!  ;D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:09 pm »

I'm not changing any of the established character names. The closest thing I did was insert il / ll icons into Tellah and Cecil's names.
The thing about that is, though, that if I changed those, it'd be going against one of the Project's goals: to make the game seem like a natural bridging point between Phil Sandhop's FFI and Ted Woolsey's FFVI. In all honesty, thanks to the FF Legend games and FF Mystic Quest--also released around the era of FFII US--I kind of wanted to keep them as Cure Potions, but decided that the spells and the potions didn't need to have the exact same name.

Also, feel free to report any typos and grammar errors here, too, everyone! :)

Tellah comes up as Tella and Edward as G(harp symbol)bert. Was that intentional? Just curious.

As a matter of question, besides the item names and descriptions, what is left to do with the project?

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 05:53:00 am »
Tellah comes up as Tella and Edward as G(harp symbol)bert. Was that intentional? Just curious.

Sounds like there should be the "il" digraph instead of the harp symbol.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 02:01:45 pm »
What ROM did you apply it to? You're supposed to patch a clean copy of FFII US v1.1. I purposefully left Edward and Tellah's names alone in my mod, and I doubt G-harp-bert would show up unless you were using a previously modded copy.

As a matter of question, besides the item names and descriptions, what is left to do with the project?
Item names are and have been finished. All that's left is descriptions, though I will be releasing another version before then to fix some typos.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:12 pm »
I used a FFII (1.1) with a header. Perhaps the header is causing it. I downloaded the file right from here.

Edit: Seems the header does cause an issue with Tellah's and Edward's names. But without a header, the new title screen is messed up. It still says IV but has garbage around it as if the II is left over.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:42:43 pm by Rodimus Primal »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »
The rom is supposed to have a header, which is why the title screen messes up when you apply the patch to an unheadered rom.

The Tellah/Edward name problem sounds like an issue with a save file from J2e. In that patch, Tellah and Edward's names are Tella and Gilbert respectively. Double-check that your rom is clean or corrupt. If that doesn't work, find another rom.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 06:26:32 pm »
Yep it was a J2E save file that caused the problem. Of course, that meant starting fresh.  :banghead:

Still, I am enjoying the translation a lot more. I look foward to when you finish the item descriptions and typo fixes. I'll be sure to post my findings.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 08:10:44 pm »
Alright, good; glad we got this sorted out. :) I hope you enjoy!