News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Project II: Final Fantasy IV  (Read 110539 times)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Project II: Final Fantasy IV
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2014, 05:56:33 pm »
I'll work on the fixes on my non-project II ROM if I can't get it to work. Theoretically, if it works on a regular FFIV, it should work the same on PII.
I always used Lunar IPS to apply it. The Project needs to be applied to an FFII US v1.1 ROM with a header. Once you apply the patch, though, the ROM becomes unheadered. I hope that helps; a few people reported not using Lunar IPS, and once they switched to it, everything was hunky-dory. Not sure what's going on there. Thanks for the patch anyway!

Edit - Never mind the report that was once here, it seems to be working now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:05:21 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2014, 09:41:35 pm »
Wait, do I apply the patch to a headered or an unheadered project II 2.0 rom?

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2014, 10:01:55 pm »
Here's the glitch video for those curious. Though for some reason there is a weird content ID claim on it that is extremely vague. Doesn't seem to negatively affect the video as far as I know, so it's unlikely I'll bother with disputing it. Makes me question the method YouTube matches the content...

http://youtu.be/jDjoHzfXo1M
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »
Wait, do I apply the patch to a headered or an unheadered project II 2.0 rom?
Headered.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2014, 11:40:46 pm »
Don't worry, guys, I'm gonna submit v2.02 sometime tonight so you can just apply the whole thing to a clean ROM!

Edit - Would anyone like to wait on v2.02 so I can release some supplements along with it? I'd include an item list, an equipment list, a magic list, a shopping list, and a magic acquisition list. Basically, all the cool little "feelies" to make it seem more like a deluxe release. There would be spoilers, but I get the feeling that many people who play Project II: FFIV have played the game before.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:48:59 pm by vivify93 »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2014, 11:51:14 pm »
That sounds like a rather neat idea, I wouldn't mind waiting.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2014, 11:56:42 pm »
I don't mind waiting one bit.

Coincidentally, I've been calling Project II and the Woolsey Edition the 'deluxe' editions of FFIV and VI, so no, no objections whatsoever.

(Now I just need to sort out what would be my 'deluxe' of FFI-III... it feels like there should be more mods before I settle on one for those.)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2014, 12:27:32 pm »
Ah, right I had nearly forgotten Vivify93... When PinkPuff put the editor together something odd happens whenever you make a change to text and this "marker" so to speak is saved in the final "glitch world" map which takes up one character of space for each message. This may not seem like much but Project II alone had roughly 2300 messages in that map alone. If you delete them you should free up some crucial space for yourself.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »
How are you doing sprinting?
Are you increasing the number of pixels the player walks each frame (or whatever), or decreasing the delay (again, number of frames, etc.) between steps?
(I know that came up in Stargazers. These Japanese hacks I've seen that did the former seemed to really bug up the collision detection/encounter rate (well, the latter at least. As for collision detection, you're supposed to somewhat be able to walk through stuff in the game as you level-up.), but I went with the latter.)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2014, 12:52:57 pm »
Sprinting is done in the normal game by events. I think it's a matter of "toggling Sprint" and that is what Chillyfeez tapped into for his sprinting hack. Having used it rather extensively for my project I think I can say it doesn't askew encounter rates at all, nor does it mess with collision detection (except for the aforementioned glitch which has been dealt with.)

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
Ah, right I had nearly forgotten Vivify93... When PinkPuff put the editor together something odd happens whenever you make a change to text and this "marker" so to speak is saved in the final "glitch world" map which takes up one character of space for each message. This may not seem like much but Project II alone had roughly 2300 messages in that map alone. If you delete them you should free up some crucial space for yourself.
I remember that. I cleared all of them a long time ago, actually. I tried to look for space to free in Bank 2 wherever I could! ;D

Edit - While I'm here, I think I'm going to give a list of every text resource that will be in v2.02.

- Item List
- Magic List
- Spell Acquisition List
- Status Glossary
- Weapon List
- Armor List
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:12:47 pm by vivify93 »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2014, 10:10:35 pm »
By text resource, you mean like a text file included in the download, right? Or is it some kind of new function to the game itself?
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2014, 10:24:53 pm »
While I'm editing for the items, I noticed that the dummy items that you brought back have a space where the items icon is on them, but no item icon. Is there an overflow caused if the dead space used there to fit in a letter is used? Just want to be sure.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2014, 10:30:37 pm »
By text resource, you mean like a text file included in the download, right? Or is it some kind of new function to the game itself?
It's just added .TXT files you can use. Think of it as a digital set of manuals!

While I'm editing for the items, I noticed that the dummy items that you brought back have a space where the items icon is on them, but no item icon. Is there an overflow caused if the dead space used there to fit in a letter is used? Just want to be sure.
The Hand Axe and Assassin Dagger? They should have their correct icons. They did when I tested them...

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:22 pm »
It's there to make sure that the items are properly offset, so you have a weapon and then underneath it you have a battle item... probably easier to just illustrate it...

#Weapon
BombPart

Or...
#Weapon
  BombPart

On a sequential list I would think the second option looks best. It really comes down to preference.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:53 pm »
It's there to make sure that the items are properly offset, so you have a weapon and then underneath it you have a battle item... probably easier to just illustrate it...

#Weapon
BombPart

Or...
#Weapon
  BombPart

On a sequential list I would think the second option looks best. It really comes down to preference.

Gotcha. Most items that's fine, but the lack of letters makes abbreviations harder. Changing Notus to Antarctic, perhaps there is a better way to abbreviate it.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:21 am »
I'm in FF4kster now and I'm wondering something about armor. I noticed they have an enemy type bit to set, and I'm writing up the armor list assuming that those bits, when set, reduce the damage taken from that particular enemy type. Is that true, or do they help you attack that enemy type?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:40 am »
They divide the damage that enemy type does by 1/2, yes. They don't increase damage.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2014, 11:00:04 am »
Gotcha. Most items that's fine, but the lack of letters makes abbreviations harder. Changing Notus to Antarctic, perhaps there is a better way to abbreviate it.

Why that particular renaming? I'm not following for why that works.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 03:36:34 pm »
Notus is an ice spell item. I don't know where that name comes from either. I figured it was a sleep spell item until I used it...

By the way, for anyone interested, slickproductions.org seems to be back up and running. Lots of FFIV info available by clicking around the forum there.  :D
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo