News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Legend of Link 1.2 Released  (Read 15170 times)

infidelity

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Legend of Link 1.2 Released
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 08:00:08 pm »
Most likely v3.2 will be considered the final release for Zelda - The Legend of Link.

Thank you to all who have downloaded and played and commented, it is extremely appreciated! Nearly 3 years of this, and it was all worth it. Thank you again everybody!

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 10:01:29 am »
Most recently I have got this message.
Click me!(Disabled)
I once felt proud to have worked on this game, but no longer.

As long things do not change, I want myself to be removed from the credits.
Also I will no longer see my work as my own, but Infidelity's. Thus I will remove my entire work on that project from my dropbox and my pc.

Infidelity may profit from this game as he wishes, but I won't be any part of this, because I do not accept any valueables from outright breaking the law.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I must take back my claims. Infidelity never accepted money from them in the first place.
They did all those things on their own. As such I will not give up my work.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:27:45 am by Thanatos-Zero »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 11:25:47 am »
Most recently I have got this message.
Click me!(Disabled)
I once felt proud to have worked on this game, but no longer.

As long things do not change, I want myself to be removed from the credits.
Also I will no longer see my work as my own, but Infidelity's. Thus I will remove my entire work on that project from my dropbox and my pc.

Infidelity may profit from this game as he wishes, but I won't be any part of this, because I do not accept any valueables from outright breaking the law.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I must take back my claims. Infidelity never accepted money from them in the first place.
They did all those things on their own. As such I will not give up my work.

As one hacker to another let me just say, that you should have known, that the game of this scale is going to get carted and soled behind yours and Infidelity's back in a record time.

Back-stabbing abuse of this otherwise brilliant new complete hack
http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/zelda-legend-of-link-p-401.html

It is because of such back-stabbing cart makers, that this world becomes bad, instead of remaining good. And thus make a whole romhacking thing look illegal, despite the fact that we do this for free, simply because we love the game and the work.

I really don't understand, why Nintendo doesn't send their samurais to do their thing on each and every repro store.

Let me ask everyone, who hate emulation, why should we, the romhackers, make a mod which is compatible with real hardware, if someone is then going to make a cart and sell it behind our backs to earn money. Those kind of actions can only result in us building in custom blockades or simply make any game incompatible to cart and stuck it into emulation only. Or not release out work at all.

All future rom hackers, do Not make your work compatible with real hardware.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:15:04 am by puzzledude »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »
The person who originally talked with me, has revealed himself to be a pretty fool, who was obsessed for nostalgia and sharing it with everyone.
In any case, if he is to believed, he rather wants to port homebrew games, while working closely together with the creators. I also highly suggested him to acquire the rights, so he can do this legitimately.

In any case, I am not against cartridges, where you can upload your hacks personally and play them for yourself on a real console.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 07:33:16 pm »
As one hacker to another let me just say, that you should have known, that the game of this scale is going to get carted and soled behind yours and Infidelity's back in a record time.

Back-stabbing abuse of this otherwise brilliant new complete hack
http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/zelda-legend-of-link-p-401.html

It is because of such back-stabbing cart makers, that this world becomes bad, instead of remaining good. And thus make a whole romhacking thing look illegal, despite the fact that we do this for free, simply because we love the game and the work.

I really don't understand, why Nintendo doesn't send their samurais to do their thing on each and every repro store.

Let me ask everyone, who hate emulation, why should we, the romhackers, make a mod which is compatible with real hardware, if someone is then going to make a cart and sell it behind our backs to earn money. Those kind of actions can only result in us building in custom blockades or simply make any game incompatible to cart and stuck it into emulation only. Or not release out work at all.

All future rom hackers, do Not make your work compatible with real hardware.

You assume there are no emulators that are close enough to the hardware to where hacks won't work on them. You'd be wrong.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »
Repros are just a part of the deal these days.  Not to mention there are flash carts and whatnot.  In fact, the latter is a good reason to try to make sure your work will work on real hardware.  I really like playing on the real system.  I haven't bit on a NES flash cart yet, although I've been tempted in the past.  I've got a SD2SNES, and I definitely love playing stuff on there, and am disappointed when things don't work properly.

Also, if you chain your work to a particular emulator, you're setting up for your work to potentially not work in the future as the authors try to improve the accuracy of emulation.

As to what I.S.T. said, you've got emulators like Nestopia that are quite accurate.  I generally have to keep stuff like FCE Ultra around to run hacks that don't behave on Nestopia because of the increased accuracy.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:02 pm »
I remember another user here also had their translation or hack sold as a repro. They decided to write up cease and desist letter of their own and sent it to the webhost of the storepage. I believe the seller quickly cooperated and removed the item from there store, or something else happened. It is always worth a shot. Maybe someone else knows about this thread?

Blasteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 06:58:45 am »
the release page says the CRC is 3FE272FB. i have goodnes 3.14 and the CRC is D7AE93DF

which rom set was used?

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 09:00:39 am »
You have the correct rom. Namely: the CRC given is the rom crc, but you have the file crc, which matches with the info bellow under file Crc32. Try to load your game in this Hasher, you should see that your rom crc32 is 3FE272FB.

Here's the whole thing from snarfblam's Rom hasher
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/

Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG0).nes

Platform           Nintendo Entertainment System           
ROM format         INES                                   
External Header    Yes                                     
File Size          131088 (20010)                         
ROM Size           131072 (20000)                         
ROM CRC32          3FE272FB                               
ROM SHA-1          A12D74C73A0481599A5D832361D168F4737BBCF6
No-Intro entry     Legend of Zelda, The (USA)             

File MD5      337BD6F1A1163DF31BF2633665589AB0       
File SHA-1    DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2
File CRC32    D7AE93DF                               
ROM MD5       D9A1631D5C32D35594B9484862A26CBA       
ROM SHA-1     A12D74C73A0481599A5D832361D168F4737BBCF6
ROM CRC32     3FE272FB                               

Suggestion for the site. What do you think of this standard: load the game in the snarfblam's hasher and simply choose copy all under "General" and "All hashes". The result is the above, and this surely is all the info needed for rom/iso id. And the process is quick and automated. This should be the standard for Rom/Iso info.

Current info under "Patching info" is "No Special Requirements". However this is not really true. From the above info we can see, that the file needs to have the header (and we can also see, that it is 10 in hex or 16 bytes in dec long).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:16:52 am by puzzledude »

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 08:34:26 am »
You assume there are no emulators that are close enough to the hardware to where hacks won't work on them. You'd be wrong.

At least emulators are invulnerable to the 7-byte death punch.

.....I think:huh:

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 04:37:45 pm »
I don't see how these repro guys can be making a ton of money off of people's work.  I mean really, how much demand for repros do you guys really think there is?  I personally don't think it's significant enough to be concerned about.  My hack Metroid Incursion is on a few repro sites, if they can sell a few, good for them.  It's just another nitche in the hacking community, besides shouldn't they get something for the carts they put the roms on (and the label work)?  Maybe there is more going on here that I'm not seeing but I think it's kind of nice to have the option to be able to get some of these hacks on real hardware.  And just to clarify I have no interest in making money off of any hacks I produce, I do it because I love to do it, I make enough money being self employed.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:35 pm »
It's the principle, the honour if you will. If the author asks the community not to make and sell carts of his mod (like it was in my case), because carts are hardware and you thus need money to make and sell them; but the repro makers do it anyway, then this is disrespect.

Plus giving any roms (and a cart is a rom) to any other user is not really welcome - otherwise why are we bothering with patches on the Net, why don't we just give away roms and save the beginners a lot of patching problems.

The repro makers basically make us look bad and bring the romhacking from barely legal to illegal. So the author of any hack should not allow the carts to be made, because the copyrights are shared with original authors.

Another Irony: a lot of repros for Legend of Link were made out of v3.2, which is not even the final version of the game and has some bugs.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 06:20:54 pm »
Puzzledude, you do make some valid points that I had not considered.  I can see how some of you would be concerned about the repro guys selling carts with your work on it.  I don't think you could be held liable in court as the person who created the original patch.  Your involvement with the hack ends at the IPS patch, they take responsibility for what they do with it after that point.  I'm totally on board with you regarding the honor or lack there of for not respecting the wishes of the author, its down right dirty to continue production after being requested to do otherwise.  I am curious though how it would go in an actual court case when you can buy and sell original cartridges with no problem on say Ebay, the only difference is that the contents of the cartridge have been patched before being resold.  I'm no expert on the legality of it but it seems like a bit of a grey area.  The big game makers move based on money and I don't see them with any ROI (return on investment) for suing some rom hackers or repro guys selling old cartridges flashed with differing contents, there's just no gain in it.  So in the end it's ultimately a moral issue, respecting others wishes regarding their work.

EDIT:  Wow, this site is asking $145 for a cart with this Rom on it!   Here I was thinking $25 maybe $30 to cover the cart, label and shipping, this is ridiculous....

http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/mobile.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=401
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:18:00 am by Grimlock »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 01:59:07 pm »
Exactly. Of course it would be a different thing if roms would be legal by default, but of course they are not and this is why all romhacking sites have the no-rom standard.

A very good idea is the Retron5, which allows users to plug in Alttp cartridge and choosing the ips, which transforms into a mod. However players say this is still emulated. Unfortunately real snes hardware has no "soft patching" option.

Wow, this site is asking $145 for a cart with this Rom on it! Here I was thinking $25 maybe $30 to cover the cart, label and shipping, this is ridiculous....
The record still goes to Alttp Parallel Remodel (my remodel of Parallel Worlds, which make this famous Alttp snes mod less difficult), which was soled for 305 euros on ebay. And the cart was made in France.

Shame that this fine Zelda1 remake by Infidelity was also carted (before the final version of the game was even out).

Regarding the legal issues, I can tell you that by strict law all romhacking is not allowed. However if the modder and user were not a part of any monetary transaction and if the rom was never released (only the patch), this falls under the "fair use" and "private use" which doesn't harm the company in any way. But what this still bring into the gray is the shared copyrights between original authors and modders (specially if various gfx was used).

Romhacking was originally born with translations and so called Master Quests. For instance if I own the original game and someone made a freeware "add-on" to make it more difficult, am I not intitled to this difficult version as well. Same with the game being in another language.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Zelda - Legend of Link Version (7-18-2016) Patch Released
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »
Posting in infidelity's words -

UPDATED TO NEW VERSION - 7-18-2016 !!!!WARNING!!!! - FOR THOSE UPDATING, YOU MUST DELETE ANY PREVIOUSLY CREATED IN-GAME SAVES FROM WHICH EVER EMULATOR. THIS NEW UPDATE NEEDS TO START FRESH, SINCE THE SRAM HAS BEEN ALTERED. YOU WILL GET A GREY SCREEN UPON BOOTUP IF YOU DON'T.

I honestly never thought i'd go back to this game, once it was released. But there was a significant issue that had me upset a lot, and it was the slowdown issue with the sound engine. That sole reason, was why I went back with the limited time I had, and tried to decipher how to either fix completely, or make it considerably better. Then I started implementing things that I personally wished I did before, but didn't have the time, nor the rom space. So i'll list the following as to what I did.

1: Slowdown of Sound Engine Cut Down ALOT
Back when this was released in 2014, I was talking with members at NESDEV, on how to solve the slowdown issue with my sound engine. The majority of responses, was that I should've had my sound engine as one of the last routines to be loaded within the end of the NMI. So I rearranged my asm, and placed that sound engine at the end. But every time I would get significant crashes, and I couldn't figure out a solution, so I left it as it was.

Fast forward almost two years, I was going to literally step into every bit of code within the sound engine, to figure why it was crashing at the end of the NMI. While I was stepping, an interrupt would occur and then finish and then go back into the sound engine. I kept getting frustrated saying, why wont you stop interrupting! I'm trying to rea...... wait a minute...... So it was then, that I located an unused register, and I performed the following. When the sound engine is about to be initiated, I set the free register to not equal (01) Now here's the part of success, After the beginning of my NMI when the A,X,Y are pushed to the stack, I do a check of the register that was set at the beginning of the sound engine, if it's not equal, I jump to the pull stack at the very end of the NMI. I couldn't believe it when I restarted the game, it didn't crash, and there was no slowdown at Link's house with the octorocks, and links sprite shield!

That's not to say that it is totally fixed, there is still slowdown here and there, but it is NOTHING like my last version. I also placed Link's sprite shield asm at the end of the NMI, because that uses a lot of cpu since I do lots of checks and repositionings of it. I went to various places that I know horrific slowdown takes place, and it was either normal, or a slight slowdown! This is something that stopped me from enjoying my own work, and has been the subject of displeasure ive read throughout the internet. So I'm very happy with just this one fix, which is why I feel this worthy of a re-release. But then after that, I wanted to add things for me personally.
END

2: 3 Save Game File System
I destroyed the original $6000-$7FFF sram when designing my game, because I tried using more space for things, the sound engine ram registers are located within there. The original Zelda HEAVILY uses the sram for PRG, because 3 quarters of the HW bank are occupied with DPCM data. When I converted my rom to MMC5, I wasn't that fully experienced with register $5113, which allows you to swap out 4 pages (2000 bytes each) of sram. It wasn't until my Super Mario All-Stars NES project, that I fully understood how to take advantage of that.

So just a few days ago, I went back to see if I could pull it off within Legend of Link. I'll spare getting into details, but I was able to make it so just before the registration screen kicks on, I simply copy a byte at a time from the 1st sram page, then i'll swap the page, and paste that byte into the new sram page, and I do that for the rest of the pages. And I added a safety check, so that my routine doesn't overwrite saved data once it's created. Then it was just a cosmetic issue for me to come up with, in order to use the File system on the registration screen. So glad I got that working! It always upset me when players would defeat the game, and were faced with having to delete all that they did to start over fresh. I'm sorry it took almost two years, but this has finally been resolved.
END

3: Inventory Items In The 3 Boxes & Current B Button Item Now Saved & Restored
This one was just for kicks. I could've cared less about having this. But I discovered I had just a slither of free sram that I could utilize for this idea. It was an incredibly easy thing to perform, so I'm glad I added it in.

4: When you defeat the game, the file that you used will now have a flashing star.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
That's fantastic, thanks for posting this mrrichard999.