News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Some SciFi mumbo-jumbo  (Read 3412 times)

derboo

• View Profile
    • derboo's Translation Page
Some SciFi mumbo-jumbo
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:38 am »
The original is Korean, but the problem isn't so much the translation but to find a good word for in English.

The game is Astrocounter of Crescents, a sidescrolling action game where people fight in robot suits: http://translation.derboo.de/crescents.html

In the game, the new suit models seem to allow the pilots to move naturally as the robot (kinda like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Pacific Rim, only with small size robots) through a technology that literally translates to "Organic-Activation-System" or "Bio-Activation-System", but I think that sounds kinda weird. Any better ideas?

Here's the translated description from the game's manual:
"As the name says, a system that covers the entire metabolism of the organism and initiates a widespread overall acceleration process.
The Organic-Activation-System centers around the interconnection of organic life and machine in an outer space environment and was first employed in the Artemis Project prototypes Alent, Bulgidung and Zenith. Artemis Project is currently in the process of intensifying
Biofeedback between Bulgidung and its Pilot."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:10:27 pm by derboo »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Some SciFi mumbo-jumbo
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:41 pm »
So if I understand it the system is more of a "inject and watch you get taken over" rather than in a sensor suit/mind reading type thing? If so ?-Activation-System is not really that clunky to my ear. I suppose it could be better though.

unification?
bridge? Though you might want to combine machine and bio/organic if you are going to use this (biomech bridge system)
merge?
blend?
fuse?

Are you thinking of reducing it to acronyms/initialisms at any point during the game? If so would be worth forcing it somewhere?

derboo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »
So if I understand it the system is more of a "inject and watch you get taken over" rather than in a sensor suit/mind reading type thing?

That's how I see it. In the setting, the old models are of the sensor suit type, and this is more like a symbiosis, with it's efficiency influenced by genetic disposition.

Thanks for the words, I'll try and juggle around with them some more.

Are you thinking of reducing it to acronyms/initialisms at any point during the game? If so would be worth forcing it somewhere?

I'm still hoping to find a term that's slick enough to be repeated frequently, but that might be a possible alternative if it doesn't work out that way.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »
How about something like "Mind Smelter Activation" GO!?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:37 pm »
Biosync
SymBioSys
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:01:41 am »
Biosync
SymBioSys

FWIW I like Biosync.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
Consider this another vote for Biosync System. (Or BioSync System.)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

derboo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »
Biosynch it is! Thanks, everyone and especially BRPXQZME!

(SymBioSys is clever, too, but maybe a bit too playful for the setting, which overall is quite grim and dystopian.)