News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Capcom Games Editor (NES)  (Read 17188 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Capcom Games Editor (NES)
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:07 pm »
Thanks for bumping this I had no idea this utility existed.  One Capcom game I don't see listed is Ghosts and Goblins (great classic game).  I can tell you I would absolutely love to make a Ghosts and Goblins hack with custom graphics and levels.  The list of games supported already is very impressive.  I'm looking forward to giving this utility a try!  :thumbsup:

Does this editor modify enemy placement and location?  I read through the thread and couldn't tell based on the posts.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:24:03 am by Grimlock »
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »
Yes, editor can be used for object and enemy placing - one limitation that new size of object list  must be not larger than original (editor just place list in the ROM, not change pointers, not increase rom size).

BTW, the best way to use CadEditor AFTER dizassamble game and insert new code or data. It's easy to change game configs for set new pointers.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:09 pm »
Ok so if I understand correctly you can move the enemies around, change enemy type but not the quantity since your editor doesn't expand the rom.  Can you remove an enemy in one screen and add one in another screen, for example remove enemies in the beginning of the game and place them further into the level?  Basically the quantity of enemies remains the same over all on a particular level but where the enemies are completely changes?
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 04:46:47 am »
Grimlock
At first, enemies change method depends on specific game.

There are two common methods of storage objects' data (but there many others). First - one pointer for the level, and linear objects data (99% with 0xFF byte and the end of objects list). Second - every part of object data (Type byte, X coords, Y coords etc.) saves at separate arrays, so there are 3-5 pointers to arrays.
So, if you want to remove enemy at first level, at add to last level, for example, you need 1) find and change pointers to the lists in hex editor (cadEditor not do that, as I say), 2) change configs of CadEditor - see getObjectsFunc/setObjectsFunc functions in config.

Concrete games may have additional limitations, for example Duck Tales 2, have pointers to every line of level, so every floor must have same enemy count as original (if you don't use hex editor, as I say above).

One more, for many games, it's important not only objects count, but objects order too. It may be from left to right, or from top to bottom, or as objects show to player.

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 06:20:32 am »
Year has passed, and I want to try continue develop CadEditor  :angel:
it is not an easy job, and it take long time (about a week for one game for me – romhacking, programming, writing helper scripts), so I create campaign for get some support. It's really important for me to be able to reduce the time spent on my daily job and spend it to develop CadEditor - I want to add many new games (for other platforms too), improve support for already added games, make documentation, tutorials and examples, and add new features for editor, like a better universal enemy editor, and universal animation editor.
Patreon campaign: https://www.patreon.com/CadEditor

At last new release (3.6), I added support for NES Flintstones Rescue Dino and Hoppy and NES Jungle Book.
My next goal is to add support for Sega Jungle Book, NES Flintstones  and NES Battletoads (at least, race edisodes).
The level of support I receive on Patreon on will directly affect what is possible and how fast things can happen, and may be add new goals to my priorities.

Full list of supported games for now (Version 3.6).

Full support (edit screens, tiles and enemies):
Darkwing Duck, Chip & Dale, Duck Tales, Duck Tales 2, Little Mermaid, Tale Spin, Tiny Toon, Chip & Dale 2 (except some levels), Flintstones tRD&H, Jungle Book.
Edit screens and tiles, but no enemies(NES & SMD):
MegaMan 3-5, Mitsume ga Tooru (1 level), Flintstones tSaDP! (1 level), Contra Hard Corps, EarthWorm Jim 1-2 (1 level each), Disney's Alladin (1), Mickey Mania(1), Pitfall(1), World Of Illusion(1), Great Circus Adventure(1). You must use appropriate compressors before insert level into SMD games.
Edit screens only (with prepared pictures):
Cattou Ninden Teyandee(1), Tom & Jerry(1), New GhostBusters 2(1), Little Nemo(1), Battletoads & Double Dragon - The Ultimate Team(1), Battletoads(1), TMNT 1-3 (1 each), Banana Prince (1), Rokin' Cat(1), Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain(1), Contra Force(1), Shadow of the Ninja(1), Ninja Gaiden(1), Super C(1), Captain America(1), Adventure Island 2-3 (1 each), Adventure in the Magic Kingdom(1), Monster in My Pocket(1), Batman(1), Jackal(1), MegaMan(1), Raf World(1), Bucky O'Hare(1), Alien 3(1), Terminator 2(1), Power Blade 1-2 (1 each), Super Spy Hunter (1), Mickey's Adventures in Numberland(1), Mickey Mouse 3 Yume Fuusen(1), QuackShot(1), Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure(1), Lost Vikings(1).

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/967/

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
Shouldn't this tool be stickied or something? I had no idea it existed either, and believe me I have looked in the tools section. Maybe a rating system is long overdue.

How can I help? I want to add support for super pitfall.

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »
Shouldn't this tool be stickied or something?
This question for moderators  :)

How can I help?
Best for me – support me on Patreon :) If I correct understand their rules, it was simple, you need register and add your paypal account for make donation.

I work on CadEditor about three years and help create hacks using it on russian forum, when I had enough free time for it. But one year ago I halt development because it's too complex for me to support it as pet-project.
So now I am trying to use Patreon to be able to get some extra time for development and ready to fulfill requests for donations.

But I'll make some iterations of development even without any support, but it will be much slower than with support.

And there are other option: if you are familiar with C# language, you can add config for you game yourself, all code of CadEditor is open-source, I will be glad to any help.

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 01:47:09 pm »
https://www.patreon.com/posts/roadmap-to-july-6010788
First update on Patreon. I made scripts for automatic extract RNC archives for SMD games and add all levels for Sega Jungle Book. Next goal - NES Battletoads

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 09:53:25 am »
New version of editor was released.
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/blob/master/Release/cad_editor_v37.zip?raw=true
Changelog:
- Configurations for Tom & Jerry (and Tuffy)[NES] (screen/blocks/enemy/objects editor) all levels.
- Configurations for Jungle Book [SMD] (layer A and B editor) all levels.
- Editor for the world map fo Duck Tales 2 [NES].
- Configurations for MicroMachines [NES] (1st level by pictures), Aliens 3 (level 1-2 by pictures), Flintstones.
- Small enhancements of enemy editor.

Also here's list of hacks made with the editor uploaded to RHDN:
Spoiler:
Darkwing Duck New Levels          http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1382/
Duck Tales Hardcore Revision      http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1671/
Chip & Dale Lomax Attack (v2)     http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1374/
Remix of Tiny Toon Adventures     http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2511/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:40:03 am by ExL »

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 03:33:49 pm »
Do you could consider possible add support for some Capcom snes games like Goof Troop...

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 07:10:03 pm »
Do you could consider possible add support for some Capcom snes games like Goof Troop...

Capcom Games Editor (NES)

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 08:40:37 am »

For now I don't want to add new platforms, CadEditor will be developed in depth, not width.
But it open source, so anyone can add code for new platforms and games.

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:36 am »
Version 3.8 was released.
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/blob/master/Release/cad_editor_v38.zip?raw=true
Changelog:
- Support for the games with any level of macroblocks nesting.
- Remembering last opened ROM and configuration.
- Bugs fixed.
- Configurations of blocks, macroblocks, macromacroblocks and macromacromacroblocks for Rockin' Kats.
- Configuration by pictures for screens (1 level each):
  Batman Returns
  Ninja Gaiden 3
  Mighty Final Fight
  Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
  Yo-Noid
  Gun.Smoke
  Little Samson
  Darkman.

I loved Rockin'Kats game in childhood, hope someone will now use this editor to make great hack for it ::)

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 12:28:15 am »
Don't miss latest version of editor as I did :P
Version 3.9 was released.
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/blob/master/Release/cad_editor_v39.zip?raw=true
- Support for games with bit palettes defined on macroblock's level (pallets could be switched by pressing right mouse button in macroblock editor). Examples: Tiny Toon Adventures,  Ninja Gaiden 3.
- Dump editor for Felix the Cat [NES] (levels 1-1, 1-2, 1-3). To save dump into ROM compressor would be needed.
- Blocks/macroblocks editor for Shatterhand [NES] (level 1). Author: Proton
- Blocks/macroblocks editor for Rokin' Kats [NES] (for every level).
- Title screen editor for Chip and Dale (via Map editor's plugin).
- Configurations of screens by pictures (Author: Roket) [NES]: Addams Family: The Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, Moon Crystal, Mappy Kids, Predator;
- Configuration of screens by pictures (Author: DANGER X): Mighty Final Fight.

Also added few samples of games' dissection using CadEditor as library for Python:
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/tree/master/JupyterCadEditor
(for Addams Family, Yo-Noid, R.C. Pro AM 2 [NES])
There's also a compressors' example for Felix The Cat.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:14 am »
Great job with this editor.
So many of some of my fav games supported.

Will you consider full support for Mega Man games ? (more than ethe 8 first stages)

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:52 am »
I can (level format is similar as Darkwing Duck or other Capcom Disney games), but do you REALLY need to edit Megaman in my CadEditor?

All parts of this game already has a level editors (for example MegaFLE X for levels, and CSA for sprites), some of them has more feautures (support realtime animations preview for blocks, or increasing enemy list size, for example). So I try to add games that has no level editors (I preffer games that I saw in childhood :) ).

BTW, I already add configs for all levels for parts 3-5 (maybe almost all, I dont know this games so well). You can free edit blocks and macroblocks, but no enemies, in this games.

There are list of supported games:
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/blob/master/CadEditor/cad_editor_supported_games.txt
"все уровни" means "all levels".

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:18 am »
In the meantime 4.0 was released!
https://github.com/spiiin/CadEditor/blob/master/Release/cad_editor_v40.zip?raw=true
Updates:
- Fixed bug with vanishing scrollbar on screens with low resolution.
- Added support for small blocks with size larger than 2x2.
- Block editor for the following games(one level each):

• Yo-Noid;
  • Power Blade;
  • Power Blade 2;
  • Contra Force;
  • Batman Returns;
  • Alien 3;
  • Adventures Island 2;
  • Adventures Island 3;
  • Super C;
  • Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu;
  • Battletoads;
  • Battletoads & Double Dragon - The Ultimate Team;
  • Monster in My Pocket;
  • Bucky O'Hare;
  • Jackal;
  • Darkman;
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles;
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2;
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.

In fact, small update of CadEditor and NesBlockFinder tool made possible to add blocks editor for vast number of games (in ALL of them same structure of levels' blocks definition by 16 tiles and 1 byte palettes for defining block's colour).
Configurations for those games could be used as example of how to add other games (I'm sure, that there will be discovered few dozen of games that are using same scheme).

Palette for tile group could be changed by clicking right mouse button in blocks editor (simultaneously with selecting block under cursor as active for drawing).

With this update it is possible to define in editor any of already added by pictures games (with exception of Batman).
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:28:13 am by ExL »

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06:32 am »
Cool program. I do wonder one thing.
Why add support for only a single level? That has very limited utility.
Why not focus on making all levels editable before adding support for another game?

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:34 am »
I can answer this question instead of Spiiin. His free time to spend on editor is quite limited(that's why I'm translating changelogs for him) so Spiiin focuses most of effort on games he had in childhood and like the most, and editor itself of course. For other games he makes one level(kinda like saying "that game is editable, folks") and expect for community to help him in writing configs for 'em. So anyone is free to make config files and send those to Spiiin(like DANGER X did, or Rocket for example), he'll gladly add those to editor! ::) ;)

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2017, 06:45:52 am »
Why add support for only a single level? That has very limited utility.
Editor has full support of 12 games (all levels, edit levels and objects).

There are a few reasons for adding 1 level of other games:
- It takes a lot of time for add all levels. If someone is interested in a particular game, and wants to make a hack for it, and contact to me for it, I can add all levels for him, and may be make specific tools for selected game. I made several hacks in this mode, but now can't do it because I do not have enough free time. But if I or my friends start to make hack for specific games again, this games will be added to editor.
- Configs for games is C# text files, and any user can make config for other levels, using existing configs as examples. So editor is big database of examples, and even new games can be added by users. It's rarely happens, that someone helps me with my work :)
- My final goal is to make universal editor, platform for other level editors. It's hard task, and I must know level format for many games for making universal editor, so this configs important for me to improve architecture of editor.

In last update, I found 20 games with similar level structure. Making configs for all levels of this games is not hard, but just long task. So, soon or later, all levels will be added  ;)