News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Remove Translator intros/splash screens from SNES & NES roms  (Read 14223 times)

wade010

• View Profile
Remove Translator intros/splash screens from SNES & NES roms
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:14:07 am »
While I understand fan translators deserve recognition for the work they put in translating japan only video games, I feel adding intros and modifying title screens to include their team logo defaces and cheapens the experience. I truly appreciate the effort put in to translating/re-translated roms, and credit the translator/team in the file name of the rom: gametitle (country) [T-En by xxxx v1.0], everytime I select that rom to play I am reminded who translated it, then I start the game, a intro screen pops up with the team logo, yeah I was just thankful for you guyses work, nice logo you inserted, A, A, A, A, Start, Start, A, A, ok now the game is starting, oh, they managed to put their logo in the starting menu too, a little distracting as usually its just the games title, copyright info & press start is shown here, why didn't the team that originally made the game think of that? maybe they did and figured it would look too messy so they just included themselves in the ending credits, where credit for work is traditionally given.

I do not appreciate fan translators taking the liberty of altering title screens and inserting annoying intros, the rom file is named with credit given to the translation team, stick your name in the opening/ending credits sure, but don't be disrespectful and put your teams name above the original writers, composers, producer ect.

I am looking to remove intros & if possible restore title screens, has anyone here attempted this or know of any tools/documentation that can assist in the process? any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:04:55 pm by wade010 »

furrykef

• View Profile
Re: Remove Translator intros/splash screens from SNES & NES roms
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:37:58 am »
Official localizations usually put logos in such places. Why should a fan translation be any different?

For what it's worth, I do plan to add a splash screen to my translation of Animal Land Satsujin Jiken for MSX. One reason is the game already had one, which just said "This is GRAVE MESSAGE for MSX USER'S by ENIX", which isn't particularly interesting, nor is it correct (the game isn't called "Grave Message" and "user's" should be "users"). I think a screen that provides a URL for updates, source code, and documentation would be much more useful. Doing it purely for vanity on the other hand seems silly to me, but I don't see it as harmful.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:43:21 am by furrykef »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:13:10 am »
I am drawn to wonder how well this will be received around here (don't like it, you are free to translate/hack it yourself and such like). Especially as I have yet to see a truly obnoxious intro save for a couple of skiddies playing pokemon hacker by way of google translate once or twice, doubly so if I set my standards by those used in the Scene over the years (sometimes an unskippable several seconds, blasting audio, unpleasant messages...). Likewise it is not necessarily vanity either and something of a two fingers to the repro set at various points in time.

I have a tiny bit of experience removing intros from the GBA and the theory behind it all is not very difficult either -- how would you add an intro, congratulations you now know how to remove one. More generally said intros will usually be modified versions of existing screens or additions to/alterations of the boot procedure, there are instances where said intros might be a loading mask of sorts (if you had to add in a bunch of compressed data you might need the extra decode time) or resist removal (again often as a two fingers at the repro set).

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:09:23 am »
I encountered one once that had a really obnoxious, close to 30 second unskippable intro; it featured the monkey from Link's Awakening spitting seeds while some sort of techno music played in the background. And there was a penis joke at the end of the intro.

I can see why people would want to remove that.

But simple, humble credit for well-done work doesn't cheapen the experience, in my opinion.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:00:35 am »
I agree with the others here. I'm perfectly ok with fan translation credits at the start of a game. The old release group intros where annoying but I haven't seen any annoying fan translation credits.

If you can figure out how to remove them then I guess you have as much right to do that as the original teams had to translate the games in the first place.  Don't be surprised if you end up with a notoriety about yourself though, especially if your credit removed versions end up on repro carts.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:34 am »
I encountered one once that had a really obnoxious, close to 30 second unskippable intro; it featured the monkey from Link's Awakening spitting seeds while some sort of techno music played in the background. And there was a penis joke at the end of the intro.

To save others a search that would some of the MODE7 GBA intros, were it not unskippable then I might be kinder to it but 30 seconds of unskippable intro....
One video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAeAkwSK5fw

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:32:57 am »
Well I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to things of this nature, while most are not obnoxious and simply require a press of a button to skip, I just like the game to resemble the original product as close as humanly possible, as an example Breath of Fire II Retranslation by Watercrown Productions for the SNES, a lot of liberties where taken, they have changed the graphics of the Capcom logo that splashes when the game starts, replaced the Capcom jingle with the main menu theme & added a flame effect that takes up most of the screen on the main menu, its a completely different intro.

I'm pretty sure translators wouldn't mind too too much if these splash screen & whatnot where edited out, and I keep the translators as part of the rom filename so they are credited for their work still.

So maybe I should just look into how to add a intro then do it in reverse, and I'm willing to spend some time doing so, I am open to guidance on where one might find a good tutorial & or utilities for such a task (I know there are probably a bunch right here, still, please point me to them :P), as I have not attempted to modify roms before, I am mostly concerned with SNES roms at the moment, though I hope to remove translator intros from all the roms I can, It'll make for a nice hobby  ;D.

October 04, 2013, 09:37:47 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
To save others a search that would some of the MODE7 GBA intros, were it not unskippable then I might be kinder to it but 30 seconds of unskippable intro....
One video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAeAkwSK5fw

Wow, thats both hilarious and annoying as hell.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:32:40 pm by wade010 »

Vaccy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:32 am »
Personally I find it to be a slap in the face for the people who have put forth hours upon hours (100s, 1000s) of work.

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 12:05:53 pm »
Do you mean fan translation intros are a slap in the face of the developers who spent 1000's of hours and 100's of thousands of dollars making them, or removing fan translation intros is a slap in the face to the fan translators?

Vaccy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
Do you mean fan translation intros are a slap in the face of the developers who spent 1000's of hours and 100's of thousands of dollars making them, or removing fan translation intros is a slap in the face to the fan translators?

Removing the fantranslation intros.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »
not to be rude

Too late, you are. If you don't like it, feel free to play the Japanese versions.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »
To play or not to play with intros, that is the question.  :laugh:

You have the option to try a game you're interested in, so an intro is a good price.

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:41 pm »
I feel I have somehow hit a nerve with some people in my attempt to remove intros from my snes roms, not to worry though, I have found how to remove most intro with a Hex Editor & Geiger’s Snes9x Debugger Mark 9, I'll make a new post with a guide tomorrow, I'm sure some people will enjoy being able to remove some annoying intros, and I'm sure the translators are fine with it.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
Well I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to things of this nature, while most are not obnoxious and simply require a press of a button to skip, I just like the game to resemble the original product as close as humanly possible, as an example Breath of Fire II Retranslation by Watercrown Productions for the SNES, a lot of liberties where taken, they have changed the graphics of the Capcom logo that splashes when the game starts, replaced the Capcom jingle with the main menu theme & added a flame effect that takes up most of the screen on the main menu, its a completely different intro.

That was d4s's doing, not mine. I mean, I appreciate all the hard work he put into the hack, but the new intro was just overkill - and I don't particularly care for "Owaranai Ai," either (as much as it annoys me when game commercials feature songs that aren't in the game itself, this is one I'll give a pass). The "Original Title Screen Music" patch was the closest I could come to a compromise - he hacked the game so thoroughly that I couldn't restore the original intro completely, and when I asked him to help me remove the animated intro and restore the original, he got pissed (at least partly because in the extensive discussion thread regarding the project, his name pretty much turned into a swear word whenever I ran afoul of his, shall we say, skewed priorities).

One of these days, I should probably see if I can get Myria's help doing the project over from scratch - the script's done, but the hacking probably needs a fresh start. (Of course we need to get Breath of Fire 1 out of the way first...^_^;)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
I'm not a fan of splash screens either. But all I can do is just not use them in my translations.

I hope that adding one line of text to the title screen (the extent to what I do) isn't too intrusive.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 02:16:45 pm »
I'm sure some people will enjoy being able to remove some annoying intros, and I'm sure the translators are fine with it.

I have a problem with this if you're planning on distributing modified IPS patches. And even if it's instructions to follow, I'm not entirely okay with it, because I'd rather not anyone else distribute modified patches either. I went out of my way to ensure that the logo graphic my translations display is as unobtrusive as possible - it's easily dismissable, and even if you don't press a button it only lasts for about four seconds. My goal was to integrate the logo as seamlessly with the game's bootup sequence as such a logo would be if added by a professional localization firm, such as Atlus or XSEED. And indeed, those places *do* add their own logos.

If you're such a purist about things, why are you even using translation patches in the first place? Most are usually a lot more than simple text replacement (though again, if we're doing our jobs right, you won't notice that.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:28:50 pm by Gideon Zhi »

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
I feel I have somehow hit a nerve with some people in my attempt to remove intros from my snes roms, not to worry though, I have found how to remove most intro with a Hex Editor & Geiger’s Snes9x Debugger Mark 9, I'll make a new post with a guide tomorrow, I'm sure some people will enjoy being able to remove some annoying intros, and I'm sure the translators are fine with it.
Ignoring the ridiculous amount of snide "take that" being conveyed by this post, as well as the fact that I've never played an officially localized game that didn't credit the translation company on or before the title screen, there shouldn't be a problem with posting this. It's a guide on editing SNES ROMs to remove intros, so regardless of the fact that presenting the issue in the manner that wade chose to do so is in extremely bad taste, it still serves a purpose that others may find useful.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 12:20:39 am »
I didn't have the tech know how to make it work, so I forgot about it

I changed the thing that tells you where the exp egg is to a special thanks type thing..."THE WORLD IS SQUARE" is still in, of course

Also, in FF4 I put my message where Mr. Slattery had his in 4 DS, in the dev room

A post-it's fine, I hope...not trying to steal anybody's thunder, this was a therapy thing for me
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

wade010

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 01:23:07 am »
I have no beef with inserting some text neatly on the title screen, only with adding intros.

@Metal Knuckles
I never played a official localization where I noticed credit for the localization team period, that usually shows up in the closing credits.
If you cannot handle my criticism on this subject, rather than call me bad mannered or rude, why not just play more rape games with you're naked ken doll.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:07:17 am »
I'm sure some people will enjoy being able to remove some annoying intros, and I'm sure the translators are fine with it.
Well, if you don't distribute the ROMs or patches with the intros removed, it's not really anybody's place to tell you you can't do it. If you do distribute it, though, that's a different matter entirely. (I assume you know this, but I'm just making sure nobody gets the wrong idea.)

rather than call me bad mannered or rude, why not just play more rape games with you're naked ken doll.
Wow. Congratulations. You just proved his point.