News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Setting up a translation memory for some freelance work?  (Read 6031 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Setting up a translation memory for some freelance work?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:58:38 pm »
Hi guys,

I recently started translating eroge for freelance work. It pays terrible, but since the text is 50% moaning, it's incredibly easy work. However, it's quite tedious translating the same five or six variations on moaning fifty billion times. It would lessen my workload a ton to just translate them once, and have translation memory software fill in the rest of them for me.

Can someone help me set this kind of thing up?

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
Re: Setting up a translation memory for some freelance work?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:13 am »
I can't stand those types of translation memory devices, and I would advise you as a translator to stay away from them.

However, if you are dead set on using one, or even just want to try one out, BRPXQZME would be the guy to ask. He seems to be quite knowledgeable about them.

Off the top of my head, TRADOS and Atlas spring to mind, and I think they are quite common place in the translation industry (TRADOS more so than Atlas). I don't know much about them though; I've never used them. I do know that they are quite expensive, you're looking at around $2000 a piece.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:30 am »
i'm a computer

stop all the downloadin

help computer

(me, I just load the source file in a format it knows, and it pops the translated file out when I’m done—its primary role is to keep me from forgetting something I already decided, and its secondary role is to make me do as little formatting work as possible)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:21 am »
i'm a computer

stop all the downloadin

help computer

I dunno much about computers other than other than the one we got in my house my mom put a couple games on there an' I play--

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:38 am »
I dunno much about computers other than other than the one we got in my house my mom put a couple games on there an' I play--
▓▗▜▕▓▐▒▟▔▜░▒�▜

(but seriously man, sorry about the lack of gigs D: )

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:35 am »
Japanese wise I am not sure I can speak with any authority but I did go through a list of CAT tools and try a few out for French and for a couple of clients that have some translations needs of their own (Arabic, Urdu, Bengali, Hindi and other such things). Most of the paid stuff costs a fortune though being professional software that is to be expected (Trados is arguably still the market leader but if you wanted to get an idea anyway http://www.sdl.com/products/shop/ ). http://kilgray.com/editions/4free and http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=demo&lang=engb being the free/demo versions of the main competitors in the commercial world. Naturally they are gimped just enough that you might not like them for proper work though, this does include database size -- most of the real stuff seems to be more focused on translation companies wanting servers and such but no company is foolish enough to give something away to the freelance set.

The interconnectivity/open source standard is XLIFF and though the commercial stuff you will have to pay for to get it to support XLIFF there is not so much vendor lock in as I often see in these professional software circles*, most of the open source stuff I tried out was more functional than the free stuff, give or take the usual open source "nice to their friends but kind of picky about those they call friend" thing, but most of it was up selling for the commercial alternative/support versions, most of which represented a real upgrade unlike most "support" versions you see in open source. That and the big standalone one in OmegaT quite liked Java which is something I try not to have on my systems and those systems I control.
Open source
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anaphraseus/?source=recommended (plugins for open office compatible things)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/?source=recommended (standalone tool, seemingly has a fair professional following)
There are a few more XLIFF tools but they seem more database checking, conversion and import rather than straight up CAT.

*naturally I have not paid for the full on stuff and from what I read sometimes this support probably wants to have some quotes around it, though equally that could have been more from trying to crowbar "additional" functionality into the program. Equally some of the commercial stuff seems to have added a lot of support for it in somewhat more recently so falling debris and all that.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:53:39 am »
I can't stand those types of translation memory devices, and I would advise you as a translator to stay away from them.

However, if you are dead set on using one, or even just want to try one out, BRPXQZME would be the guy to ask. He seems to be quite knowledgeable about them.

Off the top of my head, TRADOS and Atlas spring to mind, and I think they are quite common place in the translation industry (TRADOS more so than Atlas). I don't know much about them though; I've never used them. I do know that they are quite expensive, you're looking at around $2000 a piece.
Oh, me either. I hate them, to be honest. I've had clients force me to use them in the past, and I don't like them for two reasons: 1) Translation agencies use this as a way to price gouge translators. If the translation memory does ANY work for you, you get paid less for it. 2) In the case of Japanese, most of the sentences wind up sounding strange. So rather than saving me time, it takes me even MORE time because I have to go back and re-write those sentences to make them sound like natural English.

But in this case, I think they might not be bad. Let me explain a bit further.

In the last month and a half that I translated this eroge, I literally translated this exact same string at least 200 times:

「くぁあぁあああっ!!
 ふんんんんんんっ!!
 あ、あ、あ、あ!!」

So if I had something that could go through and replace all of those with the translated versions for me automatically, it would significantly lower the amount of work I would have to do.

However, as these aren't always exactly the same, I'm hoping that I'd be able to program a CAT tool to recognize stuff similar to it and translate that as well.

Does any of that sound possible? I'm not interested in having the machine translate the actual sentences for me. But stuff like moaning and onomatopoeia? I can do without translating those over and over again until my eyes bleed.

~DS

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:12 am »
Oh, me either. I hate them, to be honest. I've had clients force me to use them in the past, and I don't like them for two reasons: 1) Translation agencies use this as a way to price gouge translators. If the translation memory does ANY work for you, you get paid less for it. 2) In the case of Japanese, most of the sentences wind up sounding strange. So rather than saving me time, it takes me even MORE time because I have to go back and re-write those sentences to make them sound like natural English.

Sometimes you've got to stand your ground man. I actually turned down an offer for ongoing freelance work with a game localization company here in Japan because they required TRADOS. Fuck TRADOS and fuck them.

Also, could you not just dump the script into word and find+replace the shit out of it? Just a thought.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 11:47:18 am »
See, I would've taken that job, TRADOS or not. It's game translation experience that could lead you to getting better opportunities in the future.

I could potentially do that, but I have to leave the Japanese script in the script file (that's what I was told to do, I don't know why). I guess I could just keep a list of typical moaning and other onomatopoeia in like a notepad file and just copy and paste them to save me the trouble of typing them out by hand. But I'm hoping for something a bit more automated.

~DS

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »
See, I would've taken that job, TRADOS or not. It's game translation experience that could lead you to getting better opportunities in the future.

Perhaps, but at the same time I'm not really looking to get into game translation. I'm trying to head down the literary/publishing route (which seems almost non existent, wish me luck!).

Also, I just remembered a piece of software that I came across a while ago, but never got around to trying out. It's called OmegaT. Here is the homepage. It's a free translation memory application wirtten in java. You might as well give it a go, it's free after all.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »
Coincidence. I literally just downloaded that a few hours ago today. I haven't installed it yet, though.

~DS

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21:14 pm »
That’s the one I use. It can feel limited and quirky (in a bad way) at times, but it pretty much does what you’re asking of it once you have it set up.