News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need assistance doing a small graphical Zelda OOT romhack  (Read 2574 times)

Cabbagepots

Need assistance doing a small graphical Zelda OOT romhack
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
Hi everyone. I need some assistance with something as I am completely new to romhacking. I don't know where else on the forums to ask this.

I need some help doing a small graphical romhack of Zelda OOT for a visual gag in a youtube video that I'm making with a friend. This gag involves changing certain event items given to you by girls as Young Link into bottles of Lon Lon Milk or Potion with a graphical change.

What I'd like to do is change the color of the liquid inside the bottles of Lon Lon Milk/Potion, both in the "hold item over your head" version, and the actual item version that Link actually holds in his hand and drinks. I'd like to make it so that the girls in the game (such as Zelda and Malon) give him bottles of this liquid with the changed color, and I'd also like to edit the text in the dialogue boxes that happen in these scenes as well as the text for the items you receive from them.

For example, in the scene with Malon outside the castle, she gives Link a "strange egg" item, I'd like to change this to the edited bottle of Lon Lon Milk or Potion, with edits to the item description and dialogue happening as well. I'd also like to change the "Zelda's Letter" item that Zelda gives you into another bottle of this.

I have no knowledge of romhacking so I don't know how feasible this is or how much of a workload it entails. But I'm hoping someone with experience in N64 hacking can hear me out on this. Thanks for your time.

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Need assistance doing a small graphical Zelda OOT romhack
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »
Those are actual 3d models. You better be ready to figure out an undocumented model format, write the exporter, do the edits in a modeling program, write the importer and then hope that the new model fits in the space occupied by the old model.

Cabbagepots

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:32:35 am »
Could you please explain what any of that means? I'm asking for assistance here.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
Have you tried these guys yet?

http://forums.maco64.com/site/

It looks like they have some modding tools and tutorials as well as some knowledgeable people.  They might be able to help you out further.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

xdaniel

• View Profile
    • DigitalZero Domain
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
In theory, this is all very much feasible; in practice, it's a bit of work. The model format (or the graphics commands that make up the F3DEX2/F3DZEX microcode the game uses) is rather well understood, there's a few model importers/converters, the game's file system (yes, it has a file system) is known, etc., but with the current tools and knowledge, you will need to read up on this stuff - excluding the detailed stuff about the microcode - and do a bunch of stuff by hand.

Also, on the subject of websites: https://www.the-gcn.com/index - which is somewhat more active than Maco, although not by much, I guess.
cu xdaniel