creeperton

• View Profile
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:25:49 am by creeperton »

metastase

• View Profile
Re: I'm taking data diving requests
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »
Hum...it's not on your list, but could you please help me figure out some data in Chrono Trigger (unheadered) ROM?

Specifically, I need to figure out how and where the sprite assembly and animation data points to a ROM address.

This program can open the unheadered ROM and mod the sprite assembly and animation while showing hex info:
http://maurtopia.com/ChronoChar.zip

(if the link doesn't work, Mauron posted the link here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13743.0 )

My objective is: to edit custom sprite assembly and animations with this tool, but change only the hex parts where the ROM address is pointed to, so that I can transplant all data to a new location inside the ROM after all edits.

Thx very much for any help and I understand if it's not something you want to do.   

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:25:42 am by creeperton »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
In the Fire Emblem community, people have figured out how to import tilesets from one game to the other, and magically their method also ports over all the metadata for the individual tiles, such as what graphics comprise what tile, what avoid/defense increases each tile may offer, the movement costs per tile, what background and palette to use, and other similar data.

But no one understands how this data is being ported over, or how to locate and edit this individual data. I suggest corruption, as most people in the Fire Emblem hacking community aren't familiar with or bothered enough to use an understanding of ASM to figure it out--but no one seemed to understand how helpful, and somewhat easy, corruption is for figuring out data.

If you're really open to the idea, I can link you over to help out some peeps. This would probably be more concentrated efforts than merely corrupting ROMs at-large to figure out where some data may or may not be.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:14:41 pm »
I find that having a good guess about the format of the data is key.

metastase

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:27:45 pm »
Thank you creep.

What is the idea behind corruption?

I don't mind things being time consuming. I already expect that doing things the hard way will be needed if i hope to figure things out in the ROM. But at least I wanna eliminate things that were figured out already, or futile attempts from approaching something from the wrong angle.

Any advice on analyzing the CT SNES ROM? Or maybe good tools for the job?

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:30:36 pm »
Corruption is little more than replacing random parts of the data with junk.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:53:53 pm »
Code: [Select]
242300 2425B4 PTR N Pointers to character sprite assembly (first at 1C27B0) 2007.08.15
242600 242783 PTR N "Pointers to character animations (?) (local, first at 243000)" 2004.06.21
242800 242983 PTR N "Pointers to unconfirmed animation data (local, first at 24A800)" 2004.06.21
"unconfirmed animation data" has been confirmed, but I'd have to dig other notes on what it's for.
Mauron wuz here.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:18:21 pm »
I don't know if you'll be able to help, but I have what I think is probably a simplistic request.

In the English, European version of Tales of Eternia for PSP, there's a super annoying always on battery gauge that isn't present in the Japanese version of the game. It's ALWAYS present, even during loading sequences and cutscenes.

Could you see if you could find where it is, and disable it?

I've got a thread on the topic:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17018.0.html

thanks.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
I don't know if you'll be able to help, but I have what I think is probably a simplistic request.

In the English, European version of Tales of Eternia for PSP, there's a super annoying always on battery gauge that isn't present in the Japanese version of the game. It's ALWAYS present, even during loading sequences and cutscenes.

Could you see if you could find where it is, and disable it?

I've got a thread on the topic:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17018.0.html

thanks.

Are there any programs to open up the ISO into its files and folders? You may be able to find the UI textures and blank out that battery icon specifically. That seems like the easiest method for what you want.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:25:30 am by creeperton »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »
I dunno if they're compressed or not. I only know that for other ISO formats, often the contents are stored with individual files and folders within the ISO, and if you break down the ISO, you may have an easier time locating specific files because of this.

I'll forward your post to some of the peeps and see if anyone would like help/explain things for you :)

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 08:12:42 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:10:44 am by creeperton »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:17:08 am »
unfortunately, I myself lack the necessary knowledge to find the necessary graphics. I was hoping someone with the knowledge could take a look at it.

It puzzles me in several aspects since the battery gauge in-game appears to be exactly the same battery gauge as the PSP's built in XMB menu, not something drawn up for the game itself. It's also only included in the English, European version and not in the original Japanese release. There is also a third version, a fan hack "undub" version that uses the Japanese voice overs with English text, and the battery gauge appears in that version as well.

Given that the gauge is that of the system itself, this is what really had me wanting someone with hacking knowledge to take a look at.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:46 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:10:57 am by creeperton »

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:40 pm »
With an SNES game your better off corrupting the ROM instead of save states.

Why?

Also, it is good to note that with ROM you can only touch the read-only data in the program. With savestates, you can only touch RAM or the program state while running. Not exactly alternatives, are they?

It would be interesting to compare the efficiency of this corruption thing to some debugger emulator use.. depending on task.. but that is a bit unrealistic and off-topic. Have fun with corrupting!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:23 pm »
If the PSP is like the PS1, then he's better off looking for that image in a save state.  Once he finds it, he can look for it in the actual ISO and then zero it out there.
Some emulators compress or otherwise modify their savestates, rather than being pure dumps of the active RAM. So not every savestate is going to be better to look into--you may not find anything at all :/

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 11:14:47 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:11:13 am by creeperton »

itoikenza

• https://www.irccloud.com
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 07:31:34 am »
"data for Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis."

could you possibly help me by finding the mp cost of (26) - Full Heal  & (27) - Resurrection, also class talent use? i'd like to give all class' access to all talents and 4 slots. The initial party, i'd like to make them any character i want. like Summoner class for hero & Lich for 1st soldier, Dragon zombie for 2nd soldier, Undead Female knight for ninja, and fairy for cleric? plus their equips/talents too? also mod hire to anything i want...

Finally, why can't the hero execute Apocalypse?

i've found data myself for onimusha tactics, here

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9932.msg191590#msg191590

can you help me find sp cost & effects (hopefully we can give it fully restore hp/sp too) of "Secret Light"? i'd also like you to find weapon data like which move is granted upon equip. specifically "Samurai Sword" And "Tiger's Fury", which i'd like to give Secret Light...

id' also like the sp cost of these...

(03) god of wind

(0C) frenzy slice

(27) tiger salvo

(2b) arrow of poison
(2c) arrow of spells
(2d) arrow of paralysis
(2e) arrow of sleep
(2f) arrow of confusion

(3d) wrath of god

(3e) summon thunder

(3f) fire of purgatory