News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 170316 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)
« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
I find that to be splitting hairs.

Got a chip on our shoulder, do we? Gonna ruin a perfectly good thread with belligerence and drama...

Look, do what you want, random internet stranger.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »
Crimson Nocturnal.
A translation group that shut down because of "innocent" "when will it be released?" posts.

It's general etiquette here NOT to ask these kinds of questions since it's inconsiderate to the nature of the work involved.
They can't just answer you or give a deadline they certainly WON'T be able to keep, and then they will be asked for reasons for the delay and to give a new deadline and so on...

Also, one "when it is done?" reply is opening a pandora box for a flood of similar "when it's done?" posts.
It's littering the thread (which should be for updates/questions/constructive critisism/thanks (last one isn't really preferable in excess))
It's useless (since you won't get your reply anyways beyond what they share as updates... being rude won't help at all)
It's an annoyance to the team (it's really inconsiderate: I encourage you to get into hacking roms/isos to take an idea for yourself)
It takes away from the enjoyment since they are doing this on their spare time and not under pressure, and since they're not paid for this they could always abandon this project.

If they feel like sharing their progress, they'll do.
If they don't, well.. too bad. Just wait like everyone else and don't act like a self-centered jerk.

Also, a hint: them taking time for all of this drama is delaying the release.
No answer means good news.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »
I didn't give up on the project yet. The fact is that our main translator is still missing. He's missing since December. I'm not sure if he quit, he didn't say anything. I'm getting a bit impatient with him too, but I can't do a thing about it, except to wait. I can't pressure him, that's not right. And Midna's busy with his studies, so it might take some time for him to finish his part. I asked him if he wanted help, but he said he'll translate the tutorials by himself.

Right now, I'm focusing on learning more Japanese. I'm still FAR from learning all the Jouyou Kanjis (they're about 2,000), but I'm improving. If our main translator really left the team, then I'll translate everything by myself. I know it's hard, but not impossible.

GrammerPants

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:19 pm »
Yeah kinda thought that might be the issue as you mentioned it before. That's too bad.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2014, 05:57:55 am »
What does 番街 (ばんがい) mean, exactly? Does anyone have the definition for that word? I tried many dictionaries (Denshi Jisho, JDIC, Jiten.net, Tangorin, Docoja, Freedict), and none of them could find it.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:51 am »
You're absolutely sure it's read that way? Looking at the kanji individually, it could be many things:

番 (ban) - watch, lookout, guard, bout, match (sumo)
街 (gai) - ...street, ...district, ...block

There's other meanings, but I've discarded the most unlikely ones. I guess it would be the Guards' Block, what's the context?

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:56 am »
You're absolutely sure it's read that way?
No. ばんがい or ばんかい, I don't know which reading is correct.

Looking at the kanji individually, it could be many things:

番 (ban) - watch, lookout, guard, bout, match (sumo)
街 (gai) - ...street, ...district, ...block

There's other meanings, but I've discarded the most unlikely ones. I guess it would be the Guards' Block, what's the context?
The sectors of Midgar are called 番街 in Japanese (sector 1 is 1番街, sector 2 is 2番街, and so on). Translating them separately, I think it would mean "numbered district" or "numbered block".

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:06 am »
〜番-街, not 〜-番街
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2014, 08:56:06 am »
〜番-街, not 〜-番街
So it's いちばん, にばん, さんばん, etc then? If so, then 街 is まち, right?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #329 on: February 21, 2014, 09:04:24 am »
No, it’s がい.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2014, 09:06:48 am »
Oh, I get it now.

*EDIT*
My first attempt at translating the game's dialogue. The very first line of the game.

The original:
Code: [Select]
「行くぞ、新入り!
 オレに続け!」

My translation:
Code: [Select]
"C'mon, new guy!
Keep up with me!"

Do you think it's better if I replace "new guy" with "newbie"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:14:35 am by Thisguyaresick2 »

xuliko

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:47 pm »
I have a little question.
What program are you editing the texts?
I ask it because HACK7 produces some bugs... and makou reactor becomes the archives in uneven and the original files are pairs,
and the psx (no emulator) and PSP don't work.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
Just wanted to update on this.
It may be worthwhile to poke various translation forums and get additional/new translators for this project.
This has already been worked on.
Contacting them may help save you a great deal of time/hassle/headache to poke them for their tools (and of course attribute properly) and see what can be changed from their version.

Consider your current translator to be MIA and poke them for permission to use their translation (with attribution) if you haven't already gotten permission from them to do so.  Otherwise you might need to restart it with a new translator (or translation team, preferably).

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:00 am »
I have a little question.
What program are you editing the texts?
I ask it because HACK7 produces some bugs... and makou reactor becomes the archives in uneven and the original files are pairs,
and the psx (no emulator) and PSP don't work.
Shit, I didn't know this. I was using Makou Reactor to edit them. What should I do now?

Just wanted to update on this.
It may be worthwhile to poke various translation forums and get additional/new translators for this project.
This has already been worked on.
Contacting them may help save you a great deal of time/hassle/headache to poke them for their tools (and of course attribute properly) and see what can be changed from their version.

Consider your current translator to be MIA and poke them for permission to use their translation (with attribution) if you haven't already gotten permission from them to do so.  Otherwise you might need to restart it with a new translator (or translation team, preferably).
Abandon my work and make a port of DLPB's work? Is that what you want me to do? Sorry, but that's not going to happen. If you want Beacause to be ported to the Playstation, go ask someone else or go do it yourself. I'm not doing it. I have my own reasons.

xuliko

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42:54 pm »
Shit, I didn't know this. I was using Makou Reactor to edit them. What should I do now?

I wrote my doubts in the post Makou Reactor, Mystere hasn't read yet.
So, I will try to ask to Gemini if he ins't very busy.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2014, 03:29:52 am »
Sounds like Makou Reactor ignores memory alignment, if I'm understanding correctly what "uneven archives" means. My field modules rebuild DAT files correctly with word/dword alignment intact, tho I haven't worked on them in a long while and I probably won't in the future unless I get any spare time to resume the global modification project, so you're on your own for compilation. As for testing, I did some extensive playthroughs on my PSP and everything turned out to work perfectly and with no hiccups of any kind. It should work the same on a grey PlayStation.

Anyways, it shouldn't be too hard to fix alignment issues in Mystere's sources, if he's interested in real hardware compatibility.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

xuliko

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:44 am »
Sounds like Makou Reactor ignores memory alignment, if I'm understanding correctly what "uneven archives" means. My field modules rebuild DAT files correctly with word/dword alignment intact, tho I haven't worked on them in a long while and I probably won't in the future unless I get any spare time to resume the global modification project, so you're on your own for compilation. As for testing, I did some extensive playthroughs on my PSP and everything turned out to work perfectly and with no hiccups of any kind. It should work the same on a grey PlayStation.

Anyways, it shouldn't be too hard to fix alignment issues in Mystere's sources, if he's interested in real hardware compatibility.

Thanks Gemini for your answer, we have solved the dats ;)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2014, 02:22:47 pm »
I came back, and I bring some bad news. Since nobody cared about helping me with the translation, I decided to abandon this project. That's right, I give up. Although I'm too stubborn, I admit it's too much for my level. If anyone's interested in carrying on with this project, just PM me and I'll send you all of my files. And of course, you can do whatever you want with them.

Green Goblin is working on a similar project (a port of DLPB's translation), but he told me it was too difficult for him too. I'm not sure if he'll make it.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2014, 02:34:36 pm »
Hi thisguyaresick.

I really want to play FF7 with the new translation, and I try and try and try to install DLBP mod but it doesn't work in my PC, so that's why I wanted to port his translation into the PSX.

I don't really know how to use the recent translation pack published by Cebix, but I can use Qhimm tools (MakouReactor, Wallmarket, ProudCloud, etc).

However there are some files that need to be translated and no tool is created for that purpose (chocobo.bin, battle.x, the menu texts, world.bin and the final credits).

How did you translate all these files? Using a Hex editor maybe? I know that it is possible to translate these files with an hex editor, but I don't know if I need to take care of any pointers.

So I would like to do this, it's just a copy/paste task since the translation is already done by DLPB and he gave permission to do it as long as we include him in the credits, of course.

ryoko126

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »
I have a friend that's curious if your translation will be compatible with the "Tifa Mod" of Final Fantasy VII.  I'm guessing that's what they call the HD remake of the game.  I told him I would at least ask, but I can totally understand if it's not possible, or meant to be used.  I'm sure that's a lot of programming.