News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)  (Read 155434 times)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Final Fantasy VII Retranslation/Restoration Project (PSX)
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »
Hello, everyone! This project is a full retranslation of the US release of Final Fantasy VII (PSX). I decided to work on this project because no one did yet for this specific version. Although DLPB and Luksy did a great job on retranslating the PC version, that version doesn't suit well my tastes (that slow framerate and those mouths... ugh D:). Despite the many mods made for that version, I still prefer to play the PSX version.

Everybody knows that the official translation had several grammar errors, mistranslations, typos (like the infamous "This guy are sick"), repeated sentences ("That's how you'll fool them"), and many of these errors made the already complex plot even more confusing, with wrong terms (such as the Sephiroth Clones), misinterpreted sentences (Aeris and Tseng being childhood friends, or the Ancients being creatures from another planet), etc. The PC version was a slight improvement over the PSX translation, but most of the inconsistencies were kept. All they did were a few fixes here and there (fixing the grammar errors and typos, reducing the very long sentences, and giving a new translation to a few sentences). Also, this game had a rushed (and very bad) localisation, with tons of bleeps covering the swearing (which aren't heavy at all in the Japanese version; the game has the same degree of cursing and swearing found in other FFs), and the words "くそ" and "ちくしょ" being translated literally (="shit") instead of being translated as "damn" or "dammit". Some characters were terribly characterized, with Barret being turned into Mr. T, or Cait Sith having an inconsistent speech pattern throughout the story.

Although this is a full retranslation of the game, it isn't 100% faithful to the Japanese version. It still appeals to the western audience, therefore, it won't be a full relocalisation of the game. Some established terms will be kept, others not (depending on how accurate they are, and how much sense they make). The woolseyism "megalixir", for instance, will be kept simply because the original was crappy and doesn't make much sense ("Last Elixir"). Some recurring enemy attacks will be kept, so that players would recognize them. As for the character names, the ones made official by Tetsuya Nomura will be kept too (yes, this includes "Aerith"; if you got a problem with that, then change her name to whatever you want. If you still got a problem with that or with any other change I made and you're thinking of insulting me or criticizing me, then please don't waste your time; just ignore this project).

This project also restores some of the gameplay changes. That includes restoring the deleted field maps, restoring the complex version of the Temple of the Ancients puzzle, removing the red/green triangles that appear after pressing Select (they didn't exist at all in the official JPN release, only the HERE icon appears; the triangles were obviously made to make the game easier), fixing the elements of both Chocobo & Moogle and Typhon Materias (both Materias were non-elemental; the addition of the wind element just confused players, leading them to believe that the summons were wind-elemental too), fixing the enemy encounters in all areas (including the World Map), fixing the body temperature's drop at Gaea's Cliff, and if possible, restoring the final boss's AI, along with the original Supernova animation (I said if possible, and if I make it, I'll leave it in a separate patch ;)). However, this is not going to be a HardType version of the game. Also, Gemini's Spirit Bugfix patch is already applied, so there's no need for you to apply it again.

I still need someone very skilled in romhacking to help me, who knows ASM and other advanced stuff. I posted an ad in the Help Wanted section days ago regarding technical help, but no one showed up yet.

The project's progress:
Kernel.bin = 95%
Scene.bin = 100%
Field dialogue = 0%
Window.bin = 100%
Chocobo.bin = 100%
Battle.x = 100%
Opening screen/Menu text = 100%
Tutorials = 0%
World Map dialogue = 30%

Sources of information:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com
http://ffdic.wikiwiki.jp/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKl04es5qkqdHFKVjF1SVY2RjlKUGNzSU1Db0tzenc&usp=sharing#gid=0
http://ff7.fr/forum/index.php?page=post&ids=291914
http://www.lacapitalolvidada.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4457&sid=bb1bf2b8e6019935e65bd370bdcdf2c2

Screenshots:

I'll update these screenshots when I have the time.

Translation team:
Thisguyaresick2 - Translation, hacking, documentation, testing
AndrewT - Translation
Midna - Translation

Credits:
DLPB and Luksy (of the Reunion project), xuliko (of the Spanish Retranslation team), Gemini, DarknessSavior, BRPXQZME, and everyone else who helped us on RHDN.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:47:39 am by Thisguyaresick2 »
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

gadesx

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
I have a friend that have the spanish retranslation finished
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_traduccion-o-retraduccion-final-fantasy-vii-psx_1884373

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:22:11 pm »
I have a friend that have the spanish retranslation finished
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_traduccion-o-retraduccion-final-fantasy-vii-psx_1884373
That's amazing! They even hacked the graphics! I wonder what program they used to hack the WINDOW.BIN?

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »
Did the Japanese version had swearing intact just without the censor symbols? Kinda curious in this one as well. I might buy the Final Fanasty 7 International version from the Japanese PS Store soon 8)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:59:26 pm »
I took some liberty to keep some japanese names in some weapons and Summon names (for example, Neo Bahamut -> Bahamut Kai; Heaven's Cloud -> Murakumo; Conformer -> Fugutaiten).

May I ask why? Leaving some Japanese terms in would make sense if they were to do with Wutai, but these terms just seem to have been left untranslated for no apparent reason.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »
May I ask why? Leaving some Japanese terms in would make sense if they were to do with Wutai, but these terms just seem to have been left untranslated for no apparent reason.
The Neo Bahamut case was just a matter of personal preference. Its name was actually "Bahamuuto Kai" (バハムート改). "Kai" means "change." But "Changed Bahamut" or "Bahamut Change" looks ridiculous to me, so I decided to stick with the original name (Bahamut Kai looks cooler). This is the only Summon with a Japanese-like name. The rest simply had their names fixed (Kujata, Typhon...), but the attacks of ALL Summons are in English.

The Heaven's Cloud sword shares the same Japanese name as the katana Ame-no-Murakumo (天の叢雲) present in Final Fantasy XII, so I believe it was its intended name. I left it as "Murakumo" because the name is too big to fit in the equip/item screen. If I were to change it, I would have to resize the font (I don't want to do that).

Most of the weapons with Japanese names are related to Yuffie, but not all of her weapons were meant to be in Japanese.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:36 pm »
Something like "Ultra Bahamut" would have worked fine, but I see where you're coming from.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »
...but I see where you're coming from.
What do you mean?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »
Just that I understand your thought process and that I won't raise a fuss over it anymore.  :)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:34 pm »
The Heaven's Cloud sword shares the same Japanese name as the katana Ame-no-Murakumo (天の叢雲) present in Final Fantasy XII, so I believe it was its intended name. I left it as "Murakumo" because the name is too big to fit in the equip/item screen. If I were to change it, I would have to resize the font (I don't want to do that).
You would have way more problems with this sword:

Amano Murakumo should easily fit.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:45:20 pm »
Did the Japanese version had swearing intact just without the censor symbols? Kinda curious in this one as well. I might buy the Final Fanasty 7 International version from the Japanese PS Store soon 8)
Yes. But I'm not sure about the International version. I don't have it. :/

September 05, 2013, 07:51:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You would have way more problems with this sword:
Yeah, I know about the Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki. It can't be done, it's too big. :( I had some problem with the Platinum Barrette (Plus Barrette) too. I had no option but to rename it as "Platina Barrette".

Amano Murakumo should easily fit.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

September 05, 2013, 08:15:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No good, Gemini. It didn't fit. The last "o" of the "Amano Murakumo" gets swallowed. :(

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:30:21 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:01:51 pm »
Isn't "swearing" in Japanese entirely contextual?
Unless the question is more "did the Japanese text also have random punctuation in its script"?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »
Japanese has "swearing" like any other that language I know of...

In FF7, with a quick look, I have seen things like this (JAP -> ENG)*:
チッ! -> &$#%!
ケッ! -> Shit!
くっ… -> Shit…
くっ… -> Damn,
くっ… -> GODDAMMIT,
しまった! -> &*%$!
くそっ! -> SHIT!
きさま… -> You……!
きさま、何の用だ? -> What the hell do you want?

* In some of those, I may have mixed the real PSX translation and the (terribly awful) (")re-translation(") for PC, since I have both scripts in a tab-separated txt and I can't tell easily where each one starts/ends.
There has to be a better life.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »
Japanese doesn't have swearing. It has expletives, sure, but offensiveness in Japanese revolves more around politeness levels rather than religion/sex/taboos, so they generally lack the inappropriateness that English swearing has and can be translated as quite literally any English interjection expressing a negative emotion. (An example: くそ, or kuso, literally means "crap" but can be translated as "shoot", "crud", "dang", "nuts", "aww man", "dammit", "goddammit", "son of a bitch", "shit", "fuck", "motherfucker"... you get the idea).

This why you'll see them everywhere in Japanese media. Pick a Japanese script, any Japanese script, and you stand a 99% chance of finding an expletive in there. Adult shows use them. Kids shows use them. Movies that are rated G in the United States use them. Even My Little Pony uses kuso. (Now, there are some words you aren't allowed to say on Japanese TV, but they are few and far between and mostly related to sex talk anyway, from what I've seen.) As you see, Japanese language has very few 1:1 translations with English, so some liberties have to be taken, and often those liberties involve changing a word that wasn't too offensive at all in Japanese into one that is some degree of offensive in English - and possibly turning something that was suitable for all audiences in Japan into something that would be rated PG for mild language at the least in the US.

Now why the FF7 translators decided to translate くっ as different things in different places I'm not sure. Possibly it was to add "realism", but real people don't symbol-swear either.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 10:44:40 pm »
There are probably thousands of Japanese words that you won't ever hear in a TV show...

As you said, kuso may mean from poo to shit, depending on the context; but that's the same for words in every language, like in English: gay, retarded, bitch, nigger, etc. can be said in many contexts without it being offensive. But there are also words like ビッチ that even in the highest possible level of politeness can't mean anything else than a very offensive insult.

Now why the FF7 translators decided to translate くっ as different things in different places I'm not sure.
That's pretty normal in every decent translation... There are very few words between languages that have the same exact 1:1 meaning, so you have to translate them based on their contexts.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 10:59:01 pm »
チッ! -> &$#%!
ケッ! -> Shit!
くっ… -> Shit…
くっ… -> Damn,
くっ… -> GODDAMMIT,

Those aren't actually words. They are just like onomatopeia or something. In Japanese, you say "Tch!" just to express disapproval or annoyance; "Kuh..." or "Kh..." can be synonymous with "tch" but with context on surprise, shock, disgust, etc.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:17 pm »
There are probably thousands of Japanese words that you won't ever hear in a TV show...
For instance?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:23 pm »
Many of these words: http://www.youswear.com/?language=Japanese

Some random discussion here: http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthread.php?34092-Japanese-swear-words

And many words I've seen used in 2ch when they talk about how ugly or stupid a celebrity is, or how certain women may be prostitutes, etc. You can look translation of 2ch in sites like these: http://majide2ch.blogspot.co.uk/ (Search for a female celebrity and you will probably see many offensive words, ヤリマン being the cutest. :P)

If you watch TV shows, you will notice they "beep" words sometimes... So there surely are words that can't be said anywhere...

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:23 am »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:23:11 am »
In the french version of the game, Barrets often swears "MINCE!" which is incredibly funny. This word is a polite version of "shit !" which is rather sparely used, and when used just after the Sector 7 is destroyed, it's incredibly funny.

It's still a recurent joke topic between my brother and me, even after all those years. Might as well be the french equivalent of "son of a submariner".