News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPGs with good game design?  (Read 10465 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs with good game design?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:52 am »
Doesn't it take a considerable amount of time to level up your various units, though?  That's some tedious trial and error.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 11:37:31 am »
For me it was, and the story and gameplay were tedious enough D: That game is really boring for me somehow. I think it's pacing is really whacked out... but I feel that way about all the Ivalice games.

Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem are faster-paced, more engaging SRPGs. To offer an alternative (and a subjective opinion) :beer:

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »
For me it was, and the story and gameplay were tedious enough D: That game is really boring for me somehow. I think it's pacing is really whacked out... but I feel that way about all the Ivalice games.

Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem are faster-paced, more engaging SRPGs. To offer an alternative (and a subjective opinion) :beer:
I didn't play (yet ?) the original FFT, but I can confirm what he says for FFTA and FFTA2. Good games, but SLOOOOOOW.

And is FF13 this good ? I decided to give up on all FFs after suffering through part of "Final Fantasy" 12 (I put quotes because it didn't play nor feel like any FF game at all, not even close to the tactics series except the involved races).

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »
http://transcorp.romhacking.net/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1335884471  Them's fightin' words!

Good simple RPGs: Final Fantasy X, XIII, Wild Arms 4, Guardian's Crusade, Rhapsody, Front Mission 3/4 (Simple for Strategy RPGs in comparison to the rest of the series).
I... what?  I mean, they are simple RPGs certainly, but good?  Man we have very different definitions of quality.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »
Dr. Cowboy just prescribed what the patient asked for ;P
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

siryoink

• View Profile
    • Klepto Software
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:29 pm »
Good RPG with simple, linear game design?  I'll take Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for 200, Trebek.  /thread

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:54 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have completed games without a guide before but those were not RPGs. Then again, I can't say that RPGs have bad game design always after seeing this list.

FF7, sure, its popular and overrated, but the design isn't the best. After you leave Rocket Town, you get the Tiny Bronco, the game tells you to go to the temple of the ancients but you're really supposed to go to the gold saucer. You can figure that out by exploring everywhere which is fun and puts the exploration into the game.

But yeah, exploration is pretty fun too. I might try out FF6.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 09:26:03 pm »
By the way, if you're going to try out Wild Arms 4, you need to play Wild Arms 5.  One of my favorite PS2 RPGs, and it expands on pretty much everything its predecessor attempted to do.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 09:40:09 pm »
By the way, if you're going to try out Wild Arms 4, you need to play Wild Arms 5.  One of my favorite PS2 RPGs, and it expands on pretty much everything its predecessor attempted to do.

Which is kind of an issue in this instance. WA5 is a much better game in every aspect, but part of that aspect is an open world with a lot of searching for towns, treasures, and dungeons. WA4 is a straight line for all intents and purposes.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 10:23:57 pm »
Just throwing in an extra 2 cents here, but I feel it would be a mistake, if you're interested in RPG design, to ignore the prototype. I was living in some hoarder's shack in Madison last winter. Dragon Quest was my only entertainment for quite a while, while my computer was busted.

It is worth a shot, just to school yourself on the history.
Yamero~~!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:41 am »
Which is kind of an issue in this instance. WA5 is a much better game in every aspect, but part of that aspect is an open world with a lot of searching for towns, treasures, and dungeons. WA4 is a straight line for all intents and purposes.
Ah, yeah, true.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Square711

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »
http://transcorp.romhacking.net/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1335884471  Them's fightin' words!

...what the fuck did I just read

I think this wins the award for the worst review I've ever read through in my entire life. And I've read my share of bad WA3 reviews, mind you. I honestly hope no one was foolish enough to believe (or even worse, agree with) a single word of what's written there, and especially not foolish enough to not play the game because of it. Well, it's their loss, I suppose.