News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: HELP! Putting English Translation onto PSX Game  (Read 5836 times)

nicolem_animefan

• View Profile
HELP! Putting English Translation onto PSX Game
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »
Hello all!

My name is Nikki and I'm looking for some help! I'm VERY new to rom hacking so I have no idea what to do. .___.;; I read the "Hexadecimal" and the "Tables and Text Editing" sections in the Getting Started page of the forum, and after doing some practicing with the formulas I think I've got the concept down. But I'm a little lost what to do from here.

I'm looking to make an english patch of a PSX Game called Little Princess: Marl Ōkoku no Ningyō Hime 2, the sequel to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. I've translated the entire game on paper and I want to simply replace the text in the game. I don't want to edit the music, graphics, or anything else. And honestly I don't care even if I have to place the english text over the Japanese text, whatever is simpler works for me since I am inexperienced. I just want to be able to enjoy the game in english.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would be so grateful! >___< Or if anyone is interested in helping me with this, that would be great too! I have ripped the game from the Japanese CD.

Thank you!

Lance

• View Profile
Re: HELP! Putting English Translation onto PSX Game
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:11:34 am »
Essentially, you're looking for a hacker to replace the Japanese text within the game to English. It may or may not be faster to put up a help wanted ad than to learn it yourself. If there's no one who holds any interest, then your ad may just sit there for a good long while until someone special sees it.

There's not really a simple process to inserting text within a game. Sometimes you will have to mess with the font, the wording in order for it to fit within the parameters of the old text, and you may run into problems when getting the game to play correctly.

nicolem_animefan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:33:33 am »
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. While browsing through the FAQs I remember it mentioning as you said - how you have to replace the text and everything correctly. I will try as you suggest. Thanks!

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:34 am »
For the record, there does seem to be an existing translation for this and the sequel (Tenshi no Present) available at GameFAQs, although obviously not a patch.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:47 am »
You're right, there's an active project for both. I'm the one who manages the Little Princess translation.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.