News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 9 NES  (Read 70305 times)

Chpexo

• View Profile
Mega Man 9 NES
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:42:48 am »

Mega Man 9 is relatively new, so if Capcom releases a C&D letter, the patch will be removed. I also advise anyone who plays the patch to support the official release. I in no way condone piracy and the project's purpose is not for financial gain.

A while back I worked on a Mega Man 3 hack that recreates the Mega Man 9 levels. However, I stopped working on the project. One main reason being that the game actually uses more than 256 tiles in a level. I will upload the work in progress in patch form and hopefully someone else may find the patch useful. Please note that it is unfinished so don't expect anything perfect (ex. the title screen is a mess, levels are incomplete). The graphics were ripped and inserted from the Wii game into the ROM.
I got a new project on my hands.

Here's the latest patch. Apply the patch to the American version of Mega Man 3.

Some various levels.

PROGRESS LIST

Stages:

Robot masters: 0%

Concrete Man: 80% Stage layout is finished, no enemies
Jewel Man: 70%, Stage layout almost done, no enemies, glitchy in the beginning and at the end of the stage
Hornet Man: 80%, Stage layout done, no enemies
Tornado Man: 70%, Stage layout almost done, no enemies
Plug Man: 70%, Stage layout almost done, no enemies
Galaxy Man: 80%, Stage layout done, no enemies
Magma Man: 70%, Stage layout not done, no enemies,
Splash Women: 79%, Stage layout done, no enemies, needs to have animated water, has palette errors
Fake Man:

Wily Stage 1: 80%
Wily Stage 2: 10%
Wily Stage 3: 0%

Other:

Title screen: 80% More of Mega man must be added (as a sprite)
Boss Select: 70% More sprites must be displayed. Needs a fade in fade out transition. The text on the boss selected screen must be lowered a tile.
Weapons: 0% The weapon screen will have to also be a separate screen
Shops: 0%
Option screen: 0%
Music: 0%
Cutscenes: 0%
Credits and ending: 0%

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:19:15 am by Chpexo »

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man 9 NES
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:27 am »
Well.

Splash Woman's stage does have water in it; the physics engine for jumping and moving in water is in. There are no enemies, and I reached a point (right after getting out of the water) that was impassable.

What was finished of the level was interesting; that drop down the spike hole to the right looked too dangerous, but going left actually turned out to be the chore. Bait and switch...

I say keep working, this is interesting.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:00:35 am »
OMG! I hope you do continue working on this, even if you have to ask for help or whatever. Please, just try to get this done. It be awesome to have this game and 10 on a real NES.

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:11 am »
OMG! I hope you do continue working on this, even if you have to ask for help or whatever. Please, just try to get this done. It be awesome to have this game and 10 on a real NES.

Well done, keep up like what he said Da_GPer, I support my voice to your project +1  :thumbsup:

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:05 am »
You might consider posting a list of what still needs to be done to come up with a functional prototype of the game engine, as represented on the NES hardware's (and particularly Megaman 3's mapper's) capabilites.

Also:

I don't know because I haven't cleared a level yet, but I'd be willing to bet you haven't done the weapons yet. Is that right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:16:12 am by Spooniest »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:34:52 pm »
I suggest Kuja Killer for you to help you. He is the expert regarding Megaman 3.
Also... If there is going to be a shop, I suggest to bring in the charge shot and the slide as unlockable content.

You might want to use the MMC5 mapper instead of the MMC3 mapper. The MMC5 mapper gives you more space to work with.
Megaman Odyssey, which is a heavly customised Megaman 3 ROM uses it to its fullest potencial.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
I suggest Kuja Killer for you to help you. He is the expert regarding Megaman 3.
Also... If there is going to be a shop, I suggest to bring in the charge shot and the slide as unlockable content.

You might want to use the MMC5 mapper instead of the MMC3 mapper. The MMC5 mapper gives you more space to work with.
Megaman Odyssey, which is a heavly customised Megaman 3 ROM uses it to its fullest potencial.

I've played Megaman Odyssey. This project is in dire need of ASM hacking and by seeing Kuja Killers work on Megaman Odyssey, he seems to be the man for the job.

Also I stopped working on the project because Mega Man 9 goes over the 256 tile limit. The Concrete Man stage is the only one possible at the moment. Also Splash Woman's stage uses more hallways than what the engine can handle at the moment.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:18 pm »
If you have the desire and if someone can assist you, I'd love to see this finished.

Great work so far.... very impressed.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:45 pm »
I dont really want to, cause I'im not interested really, honestly

I can only do programming and that's it, for mine, megaman odyssey

I dont want to be involved  on a totally different project but..i did some stuff for you today.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1cwhjidsfp3sbsh

I cant really just tell you what parts to edit, so i give you a IPS patch cause i changed far too much stuff today.

** Rewrote the text drawing routine for stage select and "boss selected" so the full names will be displayed. Since some got cut off like concrete and splash

** All boss doors are setup except the last one for Jewel Man

** Reformatted some of the level data format to support up to 17 (hex) hallway scroll positions now instead of F (hex)

That means you can now go through the whole splash woman stage (requires Rush Jet for testing purposes)

** IMPORTANT!!!
change these specofic lines in the megafle.dat file, otherwise megafle will not work properly...cause of the level format changes.

!A30   /8: Direction Type/
!A50   /9: Direction Spr-CHR\BG-Palette/

!17   /61: Max Scroll Maps/

!A20      /66: Door data 1 (relative to level bank)/
!A28      /67: Door data 2 (relative to level bank)/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:02:03 am by kuja killer »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:18:10 am »
Thank you so much Kuja Killer.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
Dont give up. Lets make this game and Mega Man 10 possible!

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:46:25 am »
Great  :thumbsup: Keep up the good work!

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:11:36 am »
Awesome work the both of you, I see that after the second patch, the title screen and boss intro screen are now glitched, or at least they are on FCEUX.

Thanks

Wynd
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:19:15 pm by wyndcrosser »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »
Awesome! If it can work on real hardware would be an awesome feat. I think another great idea would be to make the Gameboy Mega Man games on NES. Call them Mega Man World (since in Japan they are called Rock Man World).

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »
I see that after the second patch, the title screen and boss intro screen are not glitched, or at least they are on FCEUX.
What do you mean by not glitched? Its glitched on FCEUX & VirtuaNES on me.  :(

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »
I meant now glitched. Lol.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »
Awesome! If it can work on real hardware would be an awesome feat. I think another great idea would be to make the Gameboy Mega Man games on NES. Call them Mega Man World (since in Japan they are called Rock Man World).

Oh boy... That was Kuja Killer's original idea.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 05:37:54 pm »
Out of popular demand, I decided I will continue to work on this project to the full extent of my capabilities.

By the way, are there any title screen and boss select screen editors? The screens are compressed and I am editting them with a hex editor (and it doesn't help that the stage select, boss select, title, and boss selected screen share the same TSA.). An alternative method would be to modify the megafle.dat file so I can edit them, but I had no luck doing so. I've seen a couple of Mega Man 3 hacks with their title screens modified.

More information can be read about the screen's data on Data Crystal. The page contains some notes I added while hacking the game.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:20 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/FmnrMGD.png
all of them are here.

Click the little "scene screen mode" button ...

then in the dropdown list, click Bank 13

yea...unfortanetely a whole bunch of them are shared on the same TSA table, so it's prety limited, have to be careful

PLiberty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:15 pm »
Stupendous work :beer:

I hope you plan to add a remix mode of some sort that'll give Mega Man a slide, or perhaps additional playable characters.