News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Aidyn Chronicles is a very underrated RPG  (Read 8102 times)

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
Aidyn Chronicles is a very underrated RPG
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:42 am »
Fantastic Western RPG for the N64 that uses the expansion pack to make the graphics even prettier. It was designed by one of the creators of the Dungeons & Dragons paper n pencil game . There is very deep character customization. Creation of your own armor and weapons as well as spells with ingredients/

What turns most people off is that the world map is HUGE and your only method of travel is to walk everywhere. So you can sink hours into the game from just traveling and fighting. The main story can be beaten in around 50 hours. Everything extra is rumored to take an extra 30 hours or so.

Im 3 hours in having a blast. Graphics are so pretty (though very SHARP polygons) look at these boobs

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/f/3/5/gfs_50157_2_3.jpg

Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: Aidyn Chronicles is a very underrated RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:18:25 pm »
Of all the words I'd like to abolish from use in any language in the universe forever, OVERrated and UNDERrated share the #1 spot.

Aidyn Chronicles may very well be an enjoyable game that didn't get a lot of attention. But attention has no causal relationship with quality; it never has, it never will.

Sorry if this seems overly passionate, but just...

I got sick of those two words in high school. Just about every conversation among the guitar clique I hung out with (for lack of any other options, I assure you) was littered with them.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

RomanWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:02 pm »
This game you either love it or hate it. Look at Gamefaqs, it either gets rated a 9 or 10 , or a 1 or 2. I've never seen a game so divided with love/hate for it.
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »
IIRC, Assassin's Creed III has more or less the same scoring range on GameFAQs.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »
GameFAQs ratings are a self-selected, self-reported sample. Basically meaningless, stats-wise.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »
I remember playing that years ago.  Rented it once when it first came out.  Remember enjoying it at first, but something changed somewhere along the way and left me feeling "meh" about the game.  I really couldn't tell you much about the game nowadays.  The game didn't really leave much of an impression, is really all I can say.  Only things I can remember about it really was an area that was quite dark, making it hard to make out the finer details, and some vague recollection about attacks missing a lot.  *shrug*

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:40:24 am »
Did you guys ever remembered enjoying or played Quest 64 before?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 01:45:57 am »
Did you guys ever remembered enjoying or played Quest 64 before?
Yep. I liked it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:22 am »
This game you either love it or hate it. Look at Gamefaqs, it either gets rated a 9 or 10 , or a 1 or 2. I've never seen a game so divided with love/hate for it.
Final Fantasy XII is like that too (and personally I hate it).

GameFAQs ratings are a self-selected, self-reported sample. Basically meaningless, stats-wise.
In my opinion, the opinion of random people is more meaningful (if there is enough of them) than opinion of professional reviewers. Because I feel closer to random enthusiasts rather than some guy whose life revolves only arround video games, and that will perform a strict and mathematical analysis of each game he reviews, and where good graphics will get more points than a memorable and lovable game athmosphere for example.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 04:36:31 am »
I guess what he meant is that only players who either hate the game or love the game rate it because of their strong feeling towards it; on the other hand, players who just thought "it's not that good but has redeeming qualities" or "it's good but has flaws" don't even bother because it's to much hassle.

In that sense, I think basically all aggregated/average ratings are virtually useless. There are games everybody loves that I personally find utterly boring, and others that I love but others hate to death. So I think it would actually be best to look at a few select ratings/reviews from people you know have a very similar taste to yours.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:07 am »
Yep. I liked it.
Yeah i'd pretty much enjoyed it back when me & my older bro rented the game from Blockbuster (I believe)

RomanWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:03 pm »
Well Aidyn Chronicles is an obvious throwback to the 80s Wizardry games and others like it WRPG wise. I love it because the graphics and game system.

The battles can be sped up with the Z button. And you only MISS a lot of attacks when your in your early levels. Once the game gets going its engrossing. I literally lose hours when other games have me shut them off after 20 minutes. RPGs included. Im enjoying this more than PIER SOLAR

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »
but pier solar is a master piece *rolls face*

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 03:46:31 am »
but pier solar is a master piece *rolls face*
If only they'd port it to a non-sega platform, then I'll surely buy it.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
They finished a kickstarter to put it on various consoles, actually... About back in June or May. So, expect that to happen soonish.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »
Yeah i'd pretty much enjoyed it back when me & my older bro rented the game from Blockbuster (I believe)
I got it on the same Christmas I got Ocarina of Time, it was nice alternating between RPG and action-adventure to suit my mood.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
I got it on the same Christmas I got Ocarina of Time, it was nice alternating between RPG and action-adventure to suit my mood.
That's Cool :) I'd remember getting either Duke Nukem 64 &/or Rugrats in Paris N64 version of course while we gotten Quest 64 with it or was it (Shadowman?) it's been ages lol

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »
Already interested in the game.

Of all the words I'd like to abolish from use in any language in the universe forever, OVERrated and UNDERrated share the #1 spot.

And yet, they're arguably some of the most useful words online.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
Useful only for the uncreative to avoid having to construct a real point.

They're more loaded than Haymitch Abernathy.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

RomanWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »
I explained what makes the game cool. The fact that its a in depth WRPG character building system in an elderscrolls esque world for N64. The game is rare because the cart was HUGE , tons of megs.