News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: See? This is why no one takes the gaming industry seriously.  (Read 3913 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Just came across this article about the cancelation of Fez 2 (Never played the first one :P) wow, never knew it was this bad. Glad this dont happen here.

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/07/29/see-this-is-why-no-one-takes-the-gaming-industry-seriously/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_78419

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
Re: See? This is why no one takes the gaming industry seriously.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:27 am »
Pretty sure twitter tantrums aren't the reason nobody takes the industry seriously.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:22:45 am »
I thought it was the poor standards, low pay and worse conditions that saw people not take the game industry seriously myself.

"happen here"
There have been a great many tantrums, clashes of egos and more in ROM circles over the years, most usually attribute it to other things (bite off more than you can chew and such like) but it happens.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:32 am »
Nobody takes the industry seriously because the industry isn't demanding that they do.

People won't respect anything that doesn't command respect. It's just how it works. In addition, the vast majority of people don't possess the capacity for respect, because it requires a semblance of humility.

One look at a heavily trafficked comments section will teach you how rare humility is.

We live in a very disillusioning time. The human race is discovering just how far short of our ideals we have fallen, simply by virtue of the vast increase in the number of voices you can hear at any given time. Humanity has always known what a bunch of bastards they are, but until now they've never been able to directly observe it with such scrutiny.
Yamero~~!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:04:19 am »
I think most of the people who “don’t take the gaming industry seriously” are insiders who, to outsiders at least, look like the only people taking the gaming industry seriously. That is to say, the outsiders have a strong apathy or even ignorance easily mistaken for disdain. And that’s okay; for all the angst I’ve ever seen along those lines, the excellent among us don’t need nor should want their respect. It is a mistake to seek respect for its own sake; excellence is its own reward.

Now don’t get me wrong, the the video game crowd has certain problems (like ones listed in the article) endemic to it, but they are by no means exclusive to it, either. Rather than seek respect for the granfalloon of “gamers” or “the industry”, be someone worth respecting. It is unreasonable to expect that anyone else will pick up the slack.

e: oh no not the ninjas again
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »
As far as the choice in topic it was just the header for the article, i don't really believe that either, just came across it last night and posted it. Just thought for somebody to back out of a whole career that takes creativity and makes it work to where people like it and then leave it all behind because of some game critic douche & a bunch of losers is a bad reason to quit being a programmer when its something you like to do. If this is what it takes for talented people to drop out of this than wow... Although he could suck it up and keep going but some people handle things differently that I or others would...

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
I think there may be more than meets the eye here. How much about the programmer's personal life do we know?
Yamero~~!

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
That he wants japanese developers to  suck his dick and choke on it.

He isnt actually a programmer, he was the art director and game designer. His programmer buddy is known to bea fine fellow (so its Jobs and Wozniak all over again). Fish has always had a temper and arrogance problem, which has never helped for his PR. That said, being inundated with thousands and thousands of hate mail/comments all day surely dont help matters either. He always seemed tired of the industry, so this might be for the better for him. And then again, it could be a horrible publicity stunt. You may never know.
_-|-_

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:11 pm »
That he wants japanese developers to  suck his dick and choke on it.
As a gay man, I'd love to make a joke about internalized homophobia and a nerdy white man with mutton chops wanting Asian men, but it'd be in poor taste. Instead, have the newly-seen unfortunate implications of this and the insinuated joke.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.