News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers translation tools available open source!  (Read 13775 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Israel Jacquez

The tools and documentation targeted towards the Sega Saturn version of Devil Summoner: Soul hackers to extract most of the non-battle text have been released to the open source community.

The project was started this year by Israel Jacquez with the help of Gemini.

There is a great amount of work that needs to be done and serious and skilled contributors are needed to continue the work.

Relevant Link: (http://github.com/ijacquez/SMT-DS-SH)

mrkotfw

• View Profile
I'm writing a few test programs before I make the leap of actually getting the new VW font in the game:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
I helped? Can't remember doing a thing at all. Also, there's no "SMT" in the title. ;)
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

mrkotfw

• View Profile
It doesn't hurt to give out a bit of credit. I wouldn't of have gotten this far if you hadn't sent me that snippet.

Really? I just got the name from its Wikipedia page.

Edit: I see what you mean. It implies that the side project was started with your help. Is it possible to edit the article?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Really? I just got the name from its Wikipedia page.
The "SMT" part is something Atlus adds to pretty much anything even barely related to the series, in order to make fans aware of yet another title to throw money at. Only the first Devil Summoner had the SMT title, then it was dropped with Soul Hackers, until the PSP western releases, where Atlus played dumb again and added it one last time. I was kinda expecting them to do the same crap on Catherine, just because it was produced by most of the R&D1 team. Every time I see them doing this it makes me want to smash my head against a wall of bricks. It's almost as if Squaresoft used "Final Fantasy" on every title out there produced with the FF7 engine. Imagine how stupid "Final Fantasy: Chrono Cross", "Final Fantasy: Parasite Eve", "Final Fantasy: Xenogears", or "Final Fantasy: Vagrant Story" would be.

Edit: I see what you mean. It implies that the side project was started with your help. Is it possible to edit the article?
All I did was providing the encoding symbols and a couple hints on how the font works. I doubt that's really a big help, especially with all the hacking work this game needs, which is kinda big due to all the identical code embedded as copies in all the overlays. Even with the VWF 8 bit library I programmed for this game, hooking all the code and fixing the required functions is an extremely lengthy process (menu strings are horrible to work with due to all the indenting it does with blank characters in order to fill or delete rows :banghead:). Add to that the part where I started adding improvements here and there, like compressed files for halving loading times when it loads huge stuff like the battle engine. So in the end my contribution wasn't really that much of a kickstarter. :-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:40:39 pm by Gemini »
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

yahawew

• View Profile
Is this project still on?  :'(

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
This topic has been locked due to thread necromancy. If anyone related to this project would like to reopen it at some future time, please notify a forum moderator via PM.