News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your first game  (Read 21503 times)

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: Your first game
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 05:42:13 am »
I had a pretty vanilla experience, I guess. I had never heard of video games until I just randomly got an NES for my 6th birthday (I think) from my Aunt. And naturally it was packaged with Super Mario Bros. 1 / Duck Hunt. I royally sucked at SMB at first and would repeatedly just walk into pits and I found the game manual kind of forboding because it was all in black and white, iirc.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 06:54:33 am »
I still walk into pits while playing Mario.

We've got a pretty varied range here. From the early 80's and up.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:28 am »
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 11:16:53 am »
I think I owned something simply called an Amstrad, but I honestly can't remember any game from that one
You're fired*.

A lot of Amstrad CPC stuff here.  It was quite popular in the UK though not better than a C64.

Incidentally my first game was a demo of Super Mario Brothers running in a department store, because one guy played as Luigi, I thought it was called Luigi for a long time, I was about 8 at the time.

*Sir Alan Sugar, Amstrad boss and host of the UK version of The Apprentice for those that don't know.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:20 pm »
I totally just remembered.  We had Zen: Intergalatic Ninja as well.  That came a bit after Mega Man or before, can't remember which.  But my brother and I played that non-stop.  Ridiculously addicting game.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »
I have a dim memory of my dad holding me up to the controls of a Donkey Kong Jr. cabinet when I was... 3?

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
My first game was Pac-Man in the arcade, way back in the 80's, long ass time ago...  :D

Matrixz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »
The first game I remember seeing was Super Mario Bros. at one of our neighbours.

I remember that I thought the Mario sprite was a Teddy bear with overalls, because it looked like that to me and I didn't know better.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »
It may very well have been the Colecovision version.

No, it was definitely an Atari 2600. Like I said, I think memories warped the sprites, so to speak.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
Mine was star wars racer for the nintendo 64. I didn't finish the game since it got insanely hard by around the end I guess. I was about 4 or something at the time and I was pretty good at the game despite that I never played it. I got through the first race without crashing anything. I just went straight to the end. My mom and my brother couldn't even get started. I don't even remember if they even taught me how to play the game. Then there was this one puzzle game my moms friend was having trouble with and I didn't even know what I was doing and I was making progress with it through trial and error. So basically I just had luck on my side when playing it. I think my second game was Kirby for the 64. I got to the final boss and just quit because he was too god damn hard. Then the first game I completed was.. eh, from what I can remember, it was spyro season of flames for the GBA and I loved that game. One of the first real complicated games I've completed was Kingdom hearts CoM for the GBA. I wasn't even trying. I was just pressing the save old buttons through the entire game(I believe). I did rearrange my setup at times but it was just fooling around. I wonder what level I was at by the final boss. I can't remember. I was 11 back then. Now I'm 18. The first game my brother completed was driver 2 for the PSX. Me and my mom and him were always playing that game finding secrets and such. Ah, those were good times. Its too bad these days people want rated M games because of the high violence and realistic shit.. Thats one reason why I'm worried about getting kids because of all the shit thats going on in technology. Usernames, games they will play, etc. You can't have them grow on old games because once they reach school, people might tease him and cause my life to turn around in hell.. heh, I dont need to get kids.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
My first game I ever played according to my brother, was Super Mario Bros. 3 when I was 2. 
Though Sonic 3 and Ren & Stimpy Show: Time Warp are the first games I remember playing, I think I was 6 at the time.

Back then, I could never get past the large cylinders on the Carnival stage in Sonic 3.

We actually found that Sega Genesis in a box under a staircase along with a bunch of toys.  They were left behind by a previous person who lived in the apartment.  it was like an early Christmas ;D.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 04:04:17 am »
Either Tiger LCD Baseball or Strider. Yeah, bit of a dichotomy there. All I know is my first handheld electronic game, my first arcade cabinet experience (they had it at a barbecue restaurant we used to go to), and...both happened a few years before I got my Amiga 500, which in turn was a few years before I got my SNES and Game Boy.

...maybe I played something at Chuck E. Cheese's before that? I dunno? I know they had Pole Position and this thing called Leprechaun, and...I don't really remember any of the other ones they had. :(
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 04:17:44 am »
I remember going to Chuck E. Cheese’s a couple of times (before we moved to Japan for a few years). Can’t remember much about it though, because I was like four. That the very last time I went to one (which IIRC was some time after we had moved back, and the one and only time after we moved back, but I think I hadn’t even hit 10) they had Bucky O’Hare and someone had left like 80 credits in there :D
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:53 am »
I think the first one I saw was a black system with pong, or something like that.

First game I played (and owned) was Space Invaders (Atari 2600).

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:57 am »
River Raid for the Atari 2600 was the first game I ever played. I also remember playing Donkey Kong and some game where you play a police officer/security guard and have to chase burglars around a three or four story building while having to jump over shopping carts.

According to my mother I would jerk my leg upwards every time I jumped in the game.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 04:23:03 am »
Prince of Persia on DOS
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »
Predator for the NES
Captain Tsubasa 3 , 4th most downloaded Spanish translation.  Possibly the first Jap to Spanish translation instead of English to Spanish. There is no English version yet

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »
Mario and Excite Bike.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 07:39:29 pm »

Could you guys please say something about the game?

The point of a message board is to have messages to read.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

cherrybop

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 05:46:33 pm »
This (for the Intellivision), at a cousin's house when I was 5: , as well as "Ghostbusters". The former was pretty lame (and hard to maneuver thanks to the Intellivision's wacky dialpad controller); the latter wasn't too bad considering the limitations of the system (and the fact it was licensed from a movie; most of those kind of games are lame cash-ins; and IIRC most other versions of Ghostbusters for other systems fit that unfortunate description).

A few months later I got a NES for my birthday (with SMB/Duck Hunt pack-in), and the rest is history.  :)