logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

82442248 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pokemon - Crystal (Emu Edition)  (Read 10133 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Pokemon - Crystal (Emu Edition)
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

Update By: LocksmithArmy

The third installment of the Emu Edition Pokemon Series is Finally here.

A lot more work went into this hack than the other two.

Random encounters with high level Pokemon cannot be found, random third evolutions are also not in this game.

ALL trade evolution Pokemon have been modified to evolve in a different way, all of the wild Pokemon from GS are placed in their normal area, the starters from gen 1 and 2 have locations around the 2 regions, the Celebi event from the Japanese crystal has been repaired to work as normal, and lastly the safari zone has been semi restored… giving homes to some Pokemon…

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://lsaentertainment.yolasite.com/games.php)

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokemon - Crystal (Emu Edition)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:31:38 pm »
Original Pokemon or I'm not interested.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:17:31 pm »
you mean RBY... I already did a red Emu Edition hack... look it up...
~Current Project:

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »
No, I mean Fakemon.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:15:26 pm »
lol there are no fakemon in this hack... im not a fan of them myself...
~Current Project:

Animebryan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:22 pm »
Can you catch'em all in this game? Can you fill the ENTIRE pokedex in one playthough or without cheating?

uparmoredninja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:28 am »
The clock is messed up in this game. Its always 9 hours ahead of what you set it to and there is only 1 morning hour, 5 day hours and the rest is night time. Unless thats just my game. Other than that its great so far, just finished the 4th gym and have been able to catch every pokemon on the list so far

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
Can you catch'em all in this game? Can you fill the ENTIRE pokedex in one playthough or without cheating?

yes

and the clock issue is the emulation... somewhere there is a patch that will keep a real time clock (based on your computers clock)... if you were worried about it...
~Current Project:

skrelpme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »
How do Pokemon that needed to be traded to evolve.  Evolve in this game. For example Onix,Haunter,Graveler? Is it through leveling up?

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:37 am »
How do Pokemon that needed to be traded to evolve.  Evolve in this game. For example Onix,Haunter,Graveler? Is it through leveling up?

yes, 20 lv above their first evolution
~Current Project:

kirbyfan9000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:29 pm »
I am struggling to find Bulbasaur.  It said in the guide on route 21 (below pallet) at night but have yet to find it.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:43 pm »
I am struggling to find Bulbasaur.  It said in the guide on route 21 (below pallet) at night but have yet to find it.
Yes, update 1.2 fixed the missing bulbasaur issue :(

and update 1.3 (just posted) includes some awesome items that were only tradeinable from RBY... things like Light Ball and Twisted Spoon...
~Current Project:

rumtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:48:31 pm »
Hi, I really appreciate the time you spent making this romhack, thank you.

I am having a problem. I am using VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0 to play your rom. Very early on when I fight and capture a pokemon the game stops accepting commands when it gets to the part where it asks you to a give the pokemon a name. It says "Give a nickname to ___?" and the music continues to play but none of the commands work. I have tried this several times on several different pokemon and I have the same problem. The vanilla rom that I patched  was "Pokemon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.1) [C][!]".

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a problem with the emulator? Has anyone else had this problem?

edit: Tested with VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 and BGB and the problem remains. On BGB the game resets rather than hanging.

edit2: I started fresh, re-patched the vanilla rom, and the problem remains. At this point it seems like a problem with the romhack.

edit3: tried patching a different vanilla 1.1 rom, and the problem remains.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:31:51 pm by rumtimes »

Zynk Oxhyde

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP: ROLL♥CHAN 1~6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 08:51:49 am »
Yes, update 1.2 fixed the missing bulbasaur issue :(

and update 1.3 (just posted) includes some awesome items that were only tradeinable from RBY... things like Light Ball and Twisted Spoon...
Excuse me, LocksmithArmy, but your PM inbox is FULL! Please clean it up ASAP! Thank you!  :police:

ReddestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »
Hi, I really appreciate the time you spent making this romhack, thank you.

I am having a problem. I am using VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0 to play your rom. Very early on when I fight and capture a pokemon the game stops accepting commands when it gets to the part where it asks you to a give the pokemon a name. It says "Give a nickname to ___?" and the music continues to play but none of the commands work. I have tried this several times on several different pokemon and I have the same problem. The vanilla rom that I patched  was "Pokemon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.1) [C][!]".

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a problem with the emulator? Has anyone else had this problem?

edit: Tested with VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 and BGB and the problem remains. On BGB the game resets rather than hanging.

edit2: I started fresh, re-patched the vanilla rom, and the problem remains. At this point it seems like a problem with the romhack.

edit3: tried patching a different vanilla 1.1 rom, and the problem remains.

I can confirm that this also happens for me running Gambatte . . .  :'(

It seems like the game crashes after you catch a pokemon with version 1.3  . . . 1.2 works fine . . . Very Strange . . .

Edit: By examining the differences between versions 1.2 and 1.3 using a hex editor, I believe I have determined the change between the versions that causes the crashing.

Change: EB07 CF 1D DA E2 EB0C
To: EB07 CF 7D 77 E2 EB0C

I have also made this into a patch you can download. Patch this over the already patched version 1.3.

http://www.filedropper.com/crashfix

I do not know what other effects this change will have on the game. All I know is that in my limited testing, this appears to stop the crashing.

Please let me know how it works for you! 8)

Edit2: FYI, with my patch, the CRC32 checksum for the game changes from 44201bbb to 03b9b45d.

Edit3: Fixed a little typo with the hex I copied . . . No change in the patch or anything . . .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:03:04 am by ReddestDream »

rumtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »
Just tested the crash fix, and it seems to work, I was able to catch without crashing. Just worried what else that change affects.

ReddestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:51 pm »
Thanks for checking the patch!  :)

The change I made changes two bytes back to what they were in version 1.2 . . . which is the same as what they were in the vanilla ROM . . .

Unless someone has a ROM map to Pokemon Crystal, I can't be 100% sure what those two bytes actually do . . .  :-[
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:20:01 am by ReddestDream »

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:54:36 pm »
So sorry it has taken me so long to work on this, sometime last week or so I got word of the glitch... Im sorry its so game ending and I am working to fix it.

its not excuse but Ive had surgary (just before i was notified) is in my altered state, i shouldnt have been hacking lol. i am wellnow and will fix it and repost...

till then, thanks so much ReddestDream for your work hex fixing the glitch lol.

I also dont know what those byte do or how they got altered. I will be taking V1.2 and remaking all my 1.3 changes paying special attention to their locations to see how those bytes got changed and what they do... if in the end all my 1.3 changes work... ill chalk it up to software error lol.

Thank you all for your patience.

UPDATE:
I remade every change from 1.3 to a fresh copy of 1.2 and those bytes mentioned by ReddestDream were never altered... no clue what happened. just a fat finger somewhere I am sure... I am uploading a new copy called 1.3B It should hit the database in a bit ;)

It looks like the number 777 was typed over an existing offset  and after it got altered to be a pointer (bytes swapped) it became 7D77

again so sorry for the delays. yall enjoy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:44:51 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

ReddestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
its not excuse but Ive had surgary (just before i was notified) is in my altered state, i shouldnt have been hacking lol. i am wellnow and will fix it and repost...
. . . I'd say surgery is a pretty good excuse! Glad to hear you are on the mend!  :)

till then, thanks so much reddestDream for your work hex fixing the glitch lol.
Oh, you are welcome!

It was kinda fun to fix . . . I never expected that so small a change would solve the problem . . .  :o

I also dont know what those byte do or how they got altered. I will be taking V1.2 and remaking all my 1.3 changes paying special attention to their locations to see how those bytes got changed and what they do... if in the end all my 1.3 changes work... ill chalk it up to software error lol.
Awesome! Eagerly awaiting an official fix! I've really enjoyed all your hacks!  :thumbsup:

rumtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:14 pm »
Awesome, thank you.