News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: zelda oracle of ages/seasons gbc pallet  (Read 3050 times)

adimifus

zelda oracle of ages/seasons gbc pallet
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:12:01 pm »
So I know there's a patch to force these games into gba mode. I'm curious if anyone knows a way to hack the game to force it into regular gbc mode? I'd like to play this game with the regular color pallet on my gba. Or, better yet, is there a way to hack the gba mode pallet so its the same as the gbc pallet?
I know most emulators have a setting for what type of system you're playing with, but I'm using a real system with a flash cart so obviously I can't do that.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: zelda oracle of ages/seasons gbc pallet
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »
Why would you want that? The GBA's colors are brighter, more well defined, and plus there are bonuses for playing the set in GBA mode.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:09:44 pm »
GBA detection works by the initial value of the B register.
The entry point of any GB game is 0x0100.  So go there, and see when the code first reads the B register.
Oracle Of Ages is checking bit 0 of the B register at 0159, then carrying out a conditional jump at 015B.
Replace the conditional jump (jr z, xx) 0x28 with an unconditional jump (jr xx) 0x18.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

adimifus

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:14 pm »
Why would you want that? The GBA's colors are brighter, more well defined, and plus there are bonuses for playing the set in GBA mode.

I prefer the darker gbc pallet. I always thought they overdid it when it came to brightening up gba games because of the supposed darker screen. Also, I don't really care about the "bonus" rings you can buy as they don't do anything, and I've already played through the game and have them already.

GBA detection works by the initial value of the B register.
The entry point of any GB game is 0x0100.  So go there, and see when the code first reads the B register.
Oracle Of Ages is checking bit 0 of the B register at 0159, then carrying out a conditional jump at 015B.
Replace the conditional jump (jr z, xx) 0x28 with an unconditional jump (jr xx) 0x18.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:10:00 pm by adimifus »