News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anybody want to pick up a great castlevania ROM Hack project? Cadence of Agony  (Read 4312 times)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Here is a link to a forum in which the original author Optomon has unfortunately decided to drop this project. It shows a lot of potential and would be a shame for this to be left unfinished.

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=5975

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
"if you post it...they will hack..."

Seems to be the mentality around here.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
hand written notes? That's pretty hardcore.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Yeah, he kept track of the work! I hope somebody hacks it to where its playable and bug free. Definitely not my area of expertise.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
This woulda been a classic hack for sure if it was done, but I can understand why the project was cancelled. But hey if this was done anything can be possible. To be honest with you guys I hope someone with enough experience would pick up this hack & finish it.  ;D

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
During development of that we were bother pretty hard core about doing stuff on paper for some reason. I wish I still had all of my character and enemy designs. Speaking of losing design document stuff, I also no longer have like any of the stuff I did for it, so it would be up to someone to re-create a lot of that stuff.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Somehow I completely overlooked this. Too bad the project got canned. I can't see the images on board2 because optomon made the poor decision to use photobucket, and I'm not a fan of script roulette, but if it's the hack I'm thinking of, it really is a shame because it seemed very promising.

hand written notes? That's pretty hardcore.

I'm huge on pencil and paper. It keeps my thought process much more fluid.

Spoiler:

Progress on my current hack had slowed to a virtual stop, so I've moved to 100% pencil and paper until I get everything all worked out and then I can bang it out on the computer. So yeah, I guess I'm pretty hardcore.  :D

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
During development of that we were bother pretty hard core about doing stuff on paper for some reason. I wish I still had all of my character and enemy designs. Speaking of losing design document stuff, I also no longer have like any of the stuff I did for it, so it would be up to someone to re-create a lot of that stuff.

I still have most of your artwork for this game, if that helps. And much of the paperwork done on this game is lying around somewhere. But I am pretty sure picking this up one back up ever again. I still hand write a lot of stuff, mainly smaller ideas, conceptual sketches, maps, and code snippets, but I have getting better about using notepad for larger scale operations. There was a lot of really shitty spaghetti code and design flaws in this game, though, especially early in the project when I was fairly new at 6502 and good coding practices in general.

I'll see if I can make it sound slightly less daunting for someone who would actually dare to pick up the project.

- If there's one first thing I'd change it would probably be to scrap the vertical parts of the game, and just do horizontal rooms. (The vertical rooms were designed originally only to scale in one direction in CV3, so a lot of things would disappear or crash; this caused major issues).
- I had issues with the map hogging up a lot of RAM addresses, but someone pointed out that I could have just used some upper section of RAM that is used in MMC5 games.
- There was a big fear that I would run out of ROM. I would cut out pretty everything that will not get used in the game that is know will not be used.
- A good disassembly of CV3 would be very useful for reference. (Is there one out there?)
- Make the levels editable easily in the editor. I requested the source code from the author for reVamp, but never got around to retooling it to fit the radical new level design.

I like the snarfblam approach. Get graph paper. A book of graph paper is particularly good. You get a big thumbs up for that image. I hand write most of my stuff when I don't have time at a computer.

MetalSmasher86

• View Profile
I've seen the tech demos for this hack and I've played a little bit of it myself. I support the idea of someone finishing this project, but unfortunately I have zero knowledge of ROM hacking, so I can't do it myself.