News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Donkey Konga 2 (Gamecube) - Importing Japan Songs into USA Version  (Read 13648 times)

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
To do list:
- Title Screen replaced [Done]
- Import 33 Songs [Done]
- Get translator to check song translations [Done]
- Extend memory card save title / edit [Done]
- Change Game ID to: G2JE [Done]
- Remove unwanted / Japanese files [Done]
- Edit text in Dixie's Notes [In Progress]
- Replace "Drum Sets (ones brought in shop) [Done]
- Edit misc text
- Change date record to be: Month / Date / Year
- Unlock "Drum Sets from Donkey Konga 1" by default
- Get the Genre text to display in song boxes
- Set Genre background colors to be the same as the Japan / Europe version

Video Preview 1
Video Preview 2

If you have played the "Donkey Konga" series, you may have read that each region version (Japan, USA & Europe) contain different songs. One problem is, the Japanese versions of the Donkey Konga games will not save on a US or EU Gamecube (something to do with the fact the game checks which BIOS is being used), so not many people got to play the Japanese songs.

While I was playing Donkey Konga 2 (JPN) and having fun navigating the menus, it made me wonder if I could just import the songs into the US / EU version, so everyone can play them on the US / EU Wii / Gamecube. Surprising, it is actually very simple to do.

In the "Score" folder, contains the "beats to hit" files. Each song has 9 for each mode: Easy 1P, Hard 1P, Expert 1P, Easy 2P, Hard 2P, Expert 2P, Share, Quartet & Battle. These file names can be renamed.

In the "stream" -> "Score" folder contains all the music files in ".dsp" format.

Now the interesting part. The JPN version just stored all the data in the "Start.dol" file. The US / EU version made a folder called "Resource" which stores the game text. They are in ".res" format. I use Notepad++ (setting the 'Encoding' to Shift-JIS) to change any of the text. No need to worry about size limits and you can use ASCII, ASCII Extended and Japanese characters.

There is a file called "SongInfo.res". This file contains the necessary data on the song. Here is one example:
Code: [Select]
SONGNAME=The Anthem
FILENAME=02TheAnthem
OFFSET=2
LENGTH=180
PRICE=777
1E=4
1H=5
1X=4
2E=7
2H=6
2X=3
4=7
B=7
C=4
RUBY=
COMMENT=
GENRE=2

What does this all mean? Well:
SONGNAME= Title of Song (Shift-JIS).
FILENAME= Beats to load in "Score" folder (.mid files).
OFFSET= Delay before the song starts. Used for timing the beats.
LENGTH= All have 180 (besides 'I Just Wanna Live' in EU version = 200)
PRICE= Amount of coins to buy Expert version of song.
1E= Single Easy Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
1H= Single Normal Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
1X= Single Hard Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
2E= Co-Op Easy Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
2H= Co-Op Normal Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
2X= Co-Op Hard Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
4= Concert Quartet (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
B= Battle Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
C= Concert Share Difficulty (shown by bananas 0 - 9).
RUBY= Displays smaller text above SONG NAME (Shift-JIS).
COMMENT= Comment below Song Title (Shift-JIS).
GENRE= Sets color background and genre text in top left corner.

List of GENRE colors (US version):
0 = Blue
1 = Green
2 = Yellow
3 = Green
4 = Purple
5 = Orange
6 = Orange
7 = Dark Blue
8 = Yellow
9 = Red
10 = Blue

Now the problem that I found was, finding the data in the Japan version is stored in "Start.dol" file. So finding the necessary data was going to be difficult. However, in the US version, there is a file called "SongData.res". To my surprise, they have all the necessary data that we need. Below is the information for one song:

# Song Name
NAME_00=愛のために。

# Song Name's Ruby
RUBY_00=あい

# Song 1 Line Comment
COMM_00=ドラマ エースをねらえ! EDテーマ

# Expert Score Price
PRICE_00=1260

# Song Genre
GENRE_00=TV

# Song Offset
OFFS_00=2.9

# Difficulty : Range 0-9
# EASY_1P, HARD_1P, EXPERT_1P, EASY_2P, HARD_2P, EXPERT_2P, SHARE, QUARTET, BATTLE
DIF_00=4, 6, 4, 4, 5, 3, 4, 4, 3

There was no length data in there, so I'm going to take that 180 is the default length. What this means is I have to put the information into the US format.

As for displaying the text, I could just copy what is in the JPN version, or set it up like so:

Ruby=愛のために。
Song=For the Sake of Love.
Comment="Aim for the Ace! (Drama)" Ending Theme

This way, if you don't know any Japanese and want to research more information about the song, you can.

I also had a look at "Donkey Konga 3" and they use the ".res" as the US / EU version (which means translating the game would be easy, but that doesn't help with the saving problem). You can however import the songs (besides the Famicom one) into "Donkey Konga 2", since they use the same format as the US / EU version. Neat!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:58:46 am by RadioShadow »

RadioTails

• View Profile
Re: Donkey Konga 2 (Gamecube) - Japan Songs into USA / Europe version
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »
Okay, I've got the "SongInfo.res" updated to include the Japanese data. I may make some minor edits to the text and make sure the banana difficult for each mode is correct, but I can start putting the songs in.

At the moment, four songs have been injected:

I'll try and record a video this weekend to show it does work.

I've also changed the Game ID. Very easy to do. There is one in the "ISO.hdr" and one in the "Start.dol". The game ID has to match, otherwise it won't save. Apparently, no Gamecube games use number for the second letter, so I've given the game the following ID: "G2JE". This way, you don't have to delete the US save, since it will create a different one instead.

Now to inject the rest!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
I really enjoyed the first two games back in the day. Glad to see someone else got interest in the game and did some work with it. Looking forward to your more stuff!

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »
Good news! I've finished importing all the songs. I need to make sure the banana difficulties are correct and change some minor text descriptions, but the main bulk is done!

I've uploaded a preview (see first post). From the video, you can see that I've inserted the Europe title screen (much better in my opinion).

I need to alter some of the Memo text. I need to read all 100 (yay...). Two just need to mention the secret song title and one says the following:
Playing Trouble with the
Fight sound set makes a big difference,
you know!
It gives you a real feel
for the song!

I was thinking of changing the quote to mention "Doraemon's Song" with the "Kittycat" sound set, telling the user it makes the song sound so adorable (or purrfect :P)! Any ideas would be a great help.

I know where the save text is in the game, I just need to figure where the pointer is, to make the text longer.

July 24, 2013, 03:05:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Making the Save Text file longer might be too difficulty (and not worth the time), so I've gone with "D. Konga 2 (JP)". It does the job.

Under the "Street Performance" mode, I've added in text to idicate the song list if from the Japanese version. So it says
Street Performance
Clear each song to earn coins!
Song List: Japan (Donkey Konga 2)

As for Dixie's notes, I've made a note of the ones to change (some being silly errors). I'm posting these for safe keeping.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEMO_83
Those sound sets sure are expensive!
Like that "Electric Drum Set" I bought the
other day. Yowza!
But if you earn coins
with 2 players, you'll
save up twice as much!

The "Electric Drum Kit" is a sound set from the first game. All the sound sets from the first game can be played, but they have to be brought from the first game, to be used in the second game. Dixie is talking about the sound sets from the second game, so let's change that to the most expensive in the second game.

MEMO_83
Those sound sets sure are expensive!
Like that "Synth Set" I bought the
other day. Yowza!
But if you earn coins
with 2 players, you'll
save up twice as much!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEMO_13
If you've played the song so much you've
memorized it, why not try Beat-Mix?
You can earn a ton
of tips, but the beats
change every time
you play!

Tips? As in money? The term "coins" might have made more sense. In fact, it was changed to "coins" in the PAL version.

MEMO_13
If you've played the song so much you've
memorized it, why not try Beat-Mix?
You can earn a ton
of coins, but the beats
change every time
you play!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEMO_92
Playing Trouble with the
Fight sound set makes a big difference,
you know!
It gives you a real feel
for the song!

Pretty simply change. In my previous post, I mentioned about using the Kittycat sound set (It's bloody horrible, it sounds like the cats are getting strangled <_<).

Anyway, "Viva ★ Rock" is an excellent song to play with the "Fight" sound set. Really gets you in the mood. I should really watch Naurto.

MEMO_92
Playing "Viva ★ Rock" with the
"Fight" sound set makes a big difference,
you know!
It gives you a real feel
for the song!
MEMO_95
So what was your favorite song on the
first Donkey Konga?
Hmm, for me it was...
Oh, I know!
It was the
"Super Mario Theme", natch!

Well it was called "Mario Bros. Theme" ("Super Mario Bros. Theme" in PAL version), so she isn't quoting the correct song (that's the Japanese title).

I've changed it so she is referring to the Japanese version and a song title from that game (well one of my favorites). "Fly High" of course!

MEMO_95
So what was your favorite song from the
Japanese version of Donkey Konga?
Hmm, for me it was...
Oh, I know!
It was the
"Fly High", natch!
Memo 12 & 84 talk about the secret song, which is now "Auld Lang Syne". So a simple change.

MEMO_12
Did you hear the "Auld Lang Syne" song?
You can't play that song until the end of the
Challenge set.
It really makes you feel
like you've accomplished
something, doesn't it?

MEMO_84
You want to know how to unlock
the "Auld Lang Syne" song in
the Freestyle Zone?
Get this: you have to
clear out the FULL SET!
That's SO cool!
MEMO_58
If you hit both sides when you're only
supposed to be hitting the right or left,
you haven't really earned
that "Great," have you?

This one is me being picky, but I never like putting , inside " ". The original text mades it sound like the word GREAT, appears. 

MEMO_58
If you hit both sides when you're only
supposed to be hitting the right or left,
you haven't really earned
that "Great", have you?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:05:39 pm by RadioShadow »

RadioTails

• View Profile
Re: Donkey Konga 2 (Gamecube) - Importing Japan Songs into USA Version
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
This project is not dead. Just been a bit busy.

As you can see from the screenshot, I have decide to keep the original Japanese Song Titles in the "SONGNAME" section and have the "RUBY" section contain the English translation of the song. As for the comments, they are laid out like "Genre: Example - This is a test song". So it will look like the following:

For the Sake of Love.
愛のために。

Genre: TV - "Aim for the Ace! (Drama)" Ending Theme

I borrowed one of my brother's monitors so I could run the Japanese version on my GameCube and the modified iso on the Wii. All the banana difficulties are correct and so are the expert price songs. Just got to check the "beats to hit" for each difficulty (hope to do this week).

The "beats to hit" files have all be renamed and removed the non-English ".res" files in the "Resource" folder. This will make locating the English text much easier. Plus when I go and import other songs, it will not take as long.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:10:28 pm by RadioShadow »

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »
Time for an update! All the beats for each have been checked and load correctly, so I'm happy to say a beta patch will be released this Friday (hopefully). I just got to write the review to say how to patch the file.

The patch at the moment is around 180MB, so it means I won't be able to host it on this website. I should be able to host it FileTemp and hopefully submit the details to be included in the "ROM Hacks" section and post a news section about it.

As for things to fix in the final version:
- Need to check the song that plays at the end of Challenge mode (both 1P & 2P) load the correct beats.
- Fix / improve the English text.
- Edit Dixie's Notes (in the process of unlocking them all, using a cheat device).
- Get a translator to confirm the song translations / comments are correct (hopefully put a wanted ad up on this website)

These I would like to get fixed, but would require a bit of debugging:
- Display Genre text for that song to appear in top left corner of box (like in Japan / Europe version).
- Make the Memory card save title say: "Donkey Konga 2 (JP)" instead of "D. Konga 2 (JP)"
- Set the date for the scores to be like the Europe version, so we have: Month / Date / Year
- Change the colors of the genre boxes (use the same colors as the Japan / Europe version).

EDIT:
1409C8 = Start.dol Offset
800EEFF8 = RAM Offset

In the Start.dol file, there are four '00' bytes before the save name, which means I can use them to extend the save text. Simply change the RAM offset to 800EEFF4 and now I have enough room to put "Donkey Konga 2 (JP)".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:33:09 pm by RadioShadow »

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:29:15 am »
Kinda complicated just to play the Kaiketsu Zorori OP on the US Donkey Konga 2, don't ya think?

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »
Complicated?  This ain't the NES.  That's surprisingly simple, and a lucky break that they already set it up to slide songs in.  Almost makes you wonder if they had DLC songs in mind.

Great work!  Thanks for posting some of the file details as well.

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:40:25 am »
Hi! Great job, I'm waiting for your patch.   :) :) :)
I was wondering if something similar is possible with Donkey Konga 3 Jap..

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:12:37 pm »
Kinda complicated just to play the Kaiketsu Zorori OP on the US Donkey Konga 2, don't ya think?

Well no one said it would be easy, but that's why we love it! Most of the songs are cover versions. In Donkey Konga 2 (Japan), the only exception is:
- The Seed Song (from the commercial)
- Donkey Kong Country Theme (music from Super Smash Bros. Melee)
- The Legend of Zelda Theme (remix of the theme)
- Donkey Konga 2 Theme (song written for the game)

Hi! Great job, I'm waiting for your patch.   :) :) :)
I was wondering if something similar is possible with Donkey Konga 3 Jap..

Since Donkey Konga 3 is in the same formate as the US version of Donkey Konga 2, importing the songs is very easy. The only exception is the Famicom / NES music, due to only having the beat pattens for two modes instead of the nine modes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope everyone had a good new year. Would have made an update before, but was sick and had a tummy bug. Feeling a lot better now. Anyway, update time!

The good news is, I got a response to the help ad I submitted to this website. Pepsiman kindly checked the translations and clarified on a few things. To view the updated translations, check the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_the_Donkey_Konga_game_series#Songs_in_Japanese_Version_.28DK2.29

What I have been recently doing is renaming the "Score" files so they are the same as the Japanese version. I have also removed all the Japanese / unsed files that were left in the rom.  The file layout is a lot tidy now. Useful feature GCRebuilder has. :)

As for unlocking Dixie's notes. I have 98 of them unlocked! The two I need to unlock are:
- Unlock all the badges (basically keep playing the mini-games)
- Get all "Greats" in a song
- Unlock all the Memos

Hopefully this month, I'm aim to get the text in the notes changed and get the rest unlocked. Mainly just fixing any errors / making some text changes. One of them for example, mentions a Donkey Kong 1 song. I'm going to edit to mention a song from this game.

Instead of referring to this project and in the game as "Donkey Konga 2 (Japan songs), I will instead be referring to the them as the first Japanese song set. At the moment, the banner and save files say "Donkey Konga 2 (J1)" to reflect this.

When I do get round to importing the songs from Donkey Konga 3, they will be refereed to as the second set of Japanese songs /  "Donkey Konga 2 (J2)". Should make things less confusing.

Last thing, I have sort of found the values to tell the game how to display the date / time your score was set. There are four in the US version (at hex: E8BA0), and the game uses the third one:
%月%日 %:%
%年 %月%日
%/% %:%
%/%/%

With the % be the value, they would output the results like so:
1月4日 23:05
2014年 1月4日
1/4 23:05
1/4/2014

What I got to figure out is how to get the game to load the fourth one. Better figure out how to the breakpoint works.

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »
Do you want PAL songs in too? Cus since I'm English, I can provide a list for you (As a game console collector, I, Of course have this game). So it can be called 'Donkey Konga All Songs' or something XD
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:40 pm »
Just wanted to post a small update on how this project is going.

You might have read in this topic that changing the text in "Donkey Konga 3" is really easy, so I basically said "Heck, I'll get most of the text translated".  I've got version 1.0 of the patch ready, I just need to finish the read me.  The good news is, that I can modify the read me when it is done, to use for this project.

Going back to this project, I don't think I mentioned that the "drum sets" are different (some were kept) to the ones in the US / EU version.  In fact, they even had more.  I remember last year that the drum sets were kept in the "se" folder.  The ".cbd" file basically contains the sound effects, while the ".chd" contained the necessary data on loading them.  I actually tried replacing some of the Japan drum sets into the US version of "Donkey Konga 2", but they didn't work.

Luckily, I figured out that the byte at location 07 in the ".chd" file needs to match with the file you are replacing.  It was as simply as that.  What I plan to do is replace the drum sets (the ones you buy in the shop) with better drum sets, like the "Star Fox, "Pikmin", Pac-Man" etc.  I'm hoping to figure out how to get the other sound effects unlocked, without having unlocked them unlocked on a "Donkey Konga 1" save.

I'll try and get a video uploaded to show this does work.

As for the debuging, it turns out the emulator I'm using only supports "execution breaks" (basically, this feature won't help much).  For the "read / write breaks", you need to compile your own.   One can be downloaded from here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-break-points-memory-editor-and-debug-mode

The bad news is, my Windows 7 uses x86 (32 bit), and not x64 (64 bit).  I'm hoping I can just install Windows 7 x64 and select to use x86 or x64.  Or just borrow a laptop from a friend with x64 installed.  For now, I'm just focus on getting the Dixie's Notes finished.  Get the boring bits done first.

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:13:50 am »
Hi! Any news about your superb project?  ::)

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:25 am »
Well I have some good news.  First, I've uploaded a "Preview 2" video (see top of topic) of what it looks like at the moment.

The main thing I have done is replaced 13 of the drum sets (the ones you buy from the shop) from the Japanese version of Donkey Konga.  Consider this more of a bonus.  See the "Preview 2" video to hear them in action.  The drum sets are:

DK2_00 = Smash Bros.
DK2_01 = Drums
DK2_02 = Western
DK2_03 = Sea Mammals
DK2_04 = Star Fox
DK2_05 = Birds
DK2_06 = Pac-Man
DK2_07 = Disc Jockey
DK2_08 = Tambourine
DK2_09 = Starfy
DK2_10 = Dinosaurs
DK2_11 = Triple Bongos
DK2_12 = R.B.I. Baseball
DK2_13 = Pikmin
DK2_14 = Monkeys
DK2_15 = Samba

- 01, 03 & 05 are the same as the original US version. 
- 12 was titled "Famista Stadium" which is a Baseball game series by Namco.  One of the NES versions did get translated as "R.B.I. Baseball", so it made more sense to go with that.  Plus you at least know it is from a Baseball game.
- 15 is basically the Small Monkey from Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.  The guy doesn't have a name from what I could tell.  It was titled "JB Small Monkey" but I felt calling it "Monkeys" was more simpler.
- 11 was titled "3 Bongos", but in English, the term "Triple Bongos" is a better description.
- 09, at the time "Stafi" didn't getting a English release until the DS.  The GBA versions were Japan only.  I wasn't going to include this one, but since there is an English released for the DS, I decided to add it.  In  that translation, he is call "Starfy".

The other good news is, someone has complied a "4.0 GameCube Dolphin Debug Fast" Emulator, so I can finally do some debugging.  Can be downloaded here: http://smashboards.com/threads/dolphin-debugfast-4-0-emulator-memory-breakpoints-download-links-32-64-bit.354071/

However, my computer won't open any games and just crashes.  I need to upgrade my computer anyway, but that won't happen until the end / beginning of the year.  Bit of a bummer, but there is plenty of stuff I can work on for now.

I'm hoping to get the "Memo" text and "Misc" text fixed.  Also need to get the Read Me files written.  The way I'm going to do this is by having the following:
- Patching Guide
- Playing the ISO (brief information)
- Basic Read me + FAQ
- Information on the Songs

Also, I've been looking at the texture (.nut) format.  I'm hoping support can be added to the "Rainbow" utility (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18357.html).  The creator PhOeNiX seems interested.  So I am looking into the format.  From what I know:
- Canonist of 8 x 8 tiles
- 4bpp and 8bpp encoding
- 16bit palettes
- Format: Header -> Texture -> Palette

What I would to do it edit the title to say "Japan Edition" under the Donkey Konga 2 words and include the necessary people who have helped.

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:25:34 am »
Terrific!  :thumbsup:
If I can be of any help just ask, I'll try! 8)

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:14 am »
Hi! Any news about your project?    :thumbsup:
Happy new Year!

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 04:16:24 am »
Please don't tell me you abandoned the project..  :(

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:22:19 am »
Hi, sorry for necroposting, but I though you were interested on this:

I have been working on NUT files these days and all nut files I tried so far can now be viewed and exported to png with rainbow.
As for now, only "Open" and "Export" features are implemented: it remains to understand one last palette format and "Save" and "Import" features will be added as well.

The current development build can be downloaded at http://github.com/marco-calautti/Rainbow.

dadomar83

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 01:17:13 am »
Hi! Absolutely not necroposting! We are all kongers here!  ;D ;D ;D
Only.. I do not understand very well your project..