News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rockman 4 MI re-translation project  (Read 27248 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Rockman 4 MI re-translation project
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »
Does anyone here have the contact info for Japanese romhacker Puresabe?

I've been playing through his downright jaw-dropping Rockman 4 Minus Infinity hack and would like to help with correcting the errors in his English script, which in the readme he admits to having only a limited understanding of English. With only some minor changes, the english could be so much better, and still stay within the character limits.

I can type in Japanese, and I'd like to email him about the idea of helping fix the grammar mistakes in Japanese and showcase to him exactly what I have in mind such as this:

to this:

If someone knows an email address where I can contact him, please pm me the details.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:31:25 am by Satoshi_Matrix »

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Rockman 4 MI creator Puresabe's contact info?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:04 am »
Nice cleanup. But I'd like to point out that Puresabe's English transcript uses the American character names (although there were points where he slips up -- Mega Man's name was initialized to "R" both after defeating Dr. Cossack and when he rescues Kalinka, Dr. Light is named "Dr. Right" in the opening cutscene for Wily Stage 3, and Proto Man was named Blues when he appears during the final boss).

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:33:48 am »
Why fix it?  The Engrish makes it feel more like the original games we all know and love. =)

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
Because this hack is incredible, just incredible.

The script does so much more than any official Rockman game and really deserve to be overhauled. I can re-translate all of the text, but I don't have the romhacking knowledge myself to actually implement the revised script. I can only create visual mockups that fit within the allotted text spacing and therefore should be easy for a skilled hacker to actually implement.

As this is a Japanese ROM hack of Rockman 4, I feel the text should keep the Japanese names Rockman, Blues etc. Except for Dr. Right. That should be Light, even in Japanese where he's sometimes written as 光 [hikari, light] 教授.

Here's what I've finished thus far. Left is the original Engrish, right are my edits.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:00 pm »
"Soler" should probably be "Solar".

I understand your reasoning, but Puresabe changed the names to their English counterparts (well, mostly...) in his translation, so that may be the best course of action.

"lightbulb to the barrel" -> "lightbulb into the barrel"

Maybe keep something in about the "mysterious force" of the Toad spell?

Besides that, it looks good.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:59 pm »
The exact wording of the text isn't finalized by any means. Right now, this is all just a proof of concept.

Actually, if there are any skilled rom hackers reading this, it would GREATLY help if someone could take a look at the newest version of the hack in a disassembler or such and could produce for me some sort of image file to tell me exactly what English characters the game can produce.

Is it as limited as the Megaman 2 font? This is Megaman 2's font:

Or is it expanded like the Rockman/Mega Man 9 and 10 font?

Mega Man 9 font:

If it's as limited as the Rockman 2 font, could anyone possibly add in additional characters? If just the lowercase a-z letters were added, it would add greatly. Typing all in caps, even in an 8-bit game, feels like everyone's always shouting. I guess that works for the time period, but I think it would be better overall if I could add lower case characters.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Rockman 4 MI re-translation project
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
Rule #1 of romhacking: What may be easy to do in photoshop can be a royal pain to do in the actual rom.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:34:25 am »
Alright, I've been in contact with Puresabe and we're worked out the weapons. They're now all done:

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:22 am »
Yeah that looks nothing like your photoshop stuff.  Seriously why don't you just learn how to romhack yourself?  Text romhacking is a good starting point.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:52:29 am »
Rule #1 of romhacking: What may be easy to do in photoshop can will be a royal pain to do in the actual rom.

Fixed that for you ;)

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »
ummm it's not "nothing like my photoshop stuff" it's just a grammar corrected version of the current text me and Puresabe agreed upon. That's done for now, but will still need to be overhauled later. Just not a first priority any longer.

Next is the script.

Nearly finished the Coassack defeat exchange. Waiting to hear back from Puresabe about adding the lowercase alphabet from Rockman 9.

It should be possible since the English characters overwrite the then-not needed Japanese characters in the CHR-RAM.
This gif shows the main body of the CHR-RAM in Japanese and then English modes.

As there are many unused Japanese characters remaining, there is more than enough 8x8 tile places for an additional 26 lowercase English characters.

The difference will be going from

to 

this is just a proof of concept though. I'll be waiting to hear from Puresabe about implementing this change.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »
Nice! If you're doing grammar, you might also want to ask Puresabe(himself?! :o) if you could change the weapons & item names, like
HOLDABLE CONTROL RING BOOMERANG is a mouth full, maybe rename it as RING CATCHER, RECYCLE INHALER to RECYCLER VACUUM, and SPARK MANBOW (what's a manbow?  :P) And on the METALL'S HELMET description METALL is spelled METTAUR. And that BIRD ROBOT is BEAT, or is that BEAT is not yet formally introduced until Mega Man V?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:08 am »
I personally like the Engrishy text. It really writes home the nostalgia-feeling I get, like I've just plopped down in front of the old NES few decades back :p

But next to that, I'd almost suggest not to bother with a lowercase font :/ I mean, if there's room for it, cool, but editing all the text to use the lower case seems pretty time consuming D:

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 02:19:47 am »
 Zynk Oxhyde: I plan on re-writing most of the text. What is posted above is simply bettering wording of the text that's already there. Because of that, re-translating those screens is a low priority. As I'm a huge Megaman fan, I agree with all your points and more. I'll let Puresabe know about your suggestions, because I agree with them, although I don't think anything is wrong with the name Recycle Inhaler.

The next step is to better re-translate the actual script itself, which although expanded from the original Rockman 4, is still limited to maybe 6 "cutscrenes" in total. For example, this is what I'm up against. Click to enlarge.

Not AWFUL, but this can be cleaned up considerably to make it more impactful and easier to read.

Celice:

I agree that the Engrish harkens back to the true 8-bit days that gave us such lines as "Congraturations. This story is happy end." and "I feel asleep!" but I feel the Engrish serves to deminish the overall quality of this hack. If you haven't played it yourself, by all means I highly recommend it. Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is quite simply the most advanced and impressive NES hack in existence. It blows advanced hacks like Mario Adventure out of the water.

Since the text needs to be rewritten ANYWAY, I think it should be done using lowercase letters. The process to create the visual guides is indeed time consuming, but if it can be done it'll help the text from sounding like everyone is shouting constantly.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 03:05:34 am »
I played MI once (yeah, once, & with savestates) yet I don't remember the dialogue on those cutscenes. That's not yet edited, is it? I'm not that fluent in English, but I think their dialogues are somewhat out of character. And, could you leave out the initials for who does the talking [C:, W:, R:, ?:]? Plus, should it be ROCKMAN not MEGAMAN?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:37 am »
SPARK MANBOW (what's a manbow?  :P)
Something once capable of being in space, apparently. :D

Maybe "mambo"?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Zynk, that's the stock engrish.

My revised script will be much better. One of the problems is staying within the 21 characters per line limit of the text box. 21 characters get used up quickly. I'm half done this, but for this section, my revised script will be something like this:

Dr. COSSACK: W-WAIT!
LET ME EXPLAIN!

I... HAD NO CHOICE.
MY DAUGHTER KALINKA

WAS KIDNAPPED BY
DR. WILY AND HE

THREATENED TO HARM
HER UNLESS I WORKED

FOR HIM! I DID IT ALL
TO PROTECT HER!

ROCKMAN: DR. WILY
DID... WHAT!?

?: DON'T YOU HOLD YOUR
DAUGHTER'S LIFE DEAR?

DR. COSSACK: WHY YOU...!
DR. WILY: ROCKMAN!

COME TO MY FORTRESS IF
YOU WANT THE GIRL.

I'LL DESTROY YOU THERE!
HA HA HA HA!!!

ROCKMAN: DON'T WORRY.
I'LL SAVE KALINKA, SIR.

Dr. COSSACK: EVEN AFTER
ALL I'VE DONE HE HELPS?

BEAT? I THOUGHT WILY
HAD IMPRISONED YOU?

YOU SAY THE BLUE ROBOT
SAVED YOU AND YOU

HELPED HIM?
ROCKMAN...!

BEAT, HELP HIM AGAIN.
GO TO WILY'S FORTRESS!

ROCKMAN IS SO NOBLE!
BUT I'M JUST...

I'M...

???: HOW LONG ARE YOU
GOING TO MOPE?

BLUES: DON'T WORRY. I'M
NOT YOUR ENEMY.

EVEN IF YOUR FAMILY WAS
THREATENED, YOU WERE

WRONG TO WORK FOR WILY.
CAN YOU MAKE AMENDS?

Dr. COSSACK: ...YES I CAN
HELP ROCKMAN WITH 'THAT'!

BLUES/Dr. COSSACK: WHAT
IS THAT NOISE?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
I've been watching footage of this amazing hack, it begs for better music.  If we could change the music into all the best rockman 2 / 5 songs it would be perfect haha.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:05 am »
the music is painstakingly taken from other classic games and uses the MMC5 additional sound channel. Your comment about the music is like someone complaining about the music in Rockman no Constancy!

It's fine if you don't like it personally, but a lot of effort was put into this and I appreciate the effort. I love all the songs from the original Rockman series, but I'm glad that this is hack doesn't just reuse the same songs we always hear in rockman hacks. 

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:49 am »
Would you be using music from Rockman World games for the Gameboy? I know some hacks have those.