News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: North American SNES button color hacks?  (Read 3164 times)

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
North American SNES button color hacks?
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:40 am »
I'm Australian-born and most accustomed to the Japanese/European SNES coloring (blue, green, red, yellow) rather than the North American (lavender, purple). Nowadays I usually play US-NTSC games because nobody wants to play games in slow-mo, but then I'm disappointed any time that region's drab, uniform buttons appear. I mean no offense to people who like them, but I'd prefer not to encounter them.

Because of this, I occasionally wonder if anyone's ever gone to the fairly pointless effort of replacing them with their more colorful counterparts. I did find the Super Mario RPG: PAL Version hack which seems to do this, but it also makes a number of other changes that went beyond what I was looking for, so I decided to see if I could replicate those minor changes myself, as the game's battle menus are a great candidate for de-borifying.  Fortunately, the palettes remained static in location between the Japanese and North American ROMs, so I was able to replace them reasonably easily by working from giangurgolo's doc_palettes.txt.

If anyone wants to make the same changes:

Menu Button Palette (255256-25526F)
Code: [Select]
FF 7F 0C 00 36 16 3A 27 48 26 E3 11 07 49 63 44 00 20 3F 29 DB 1C A6 04 C1 08
Bowyer Fight Button Palette (255C6A-255C83)
Code: [Select]
FF 7F 0C 00 52 4A 29 25 48 26 E3 11 07 49 63 44 00 20 3F 29 DB 1C D1 00 C1 08

(Technically this is a shot from the Japanese game, but I promise it works. I just didn't feel like getting to the Bowyer fight for a screen cap.)

I haven't bothered uploading the patch to the database because it's such a small and derivative change, not to mention one that was already achieved elsewhere. I can put it up if anyone really wants it in patch form, otherwise it's easy enough to do manually.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has done this with any other games. Off the top of my head, there's the instructional screens in Super Mario All-Stars (+ World), the key config screens in Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2 and the tutorial in the latter, and the controller settings icon in Yoshi's Island (but not the actual controller settings screen, so ... what?). I don't exactly have an exhaustive list, though, so I'm sure that there are plenty more. From a quick search, it looks like another title with an in-game SNES controller is Battle Clash, the Super Scope game.

Just to clarify, I'm fully aware that this is a trivial concern. Obviously the controllers aren't seen often even in games where they do appear and it's clearly not a dealbreaker. I just think it's nice to see the Super Famicom/PAL SNES design restored where possible.
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: North American SNES button color hacks?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
Great hack!

Rafaelele

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:34:38 am »
I've been dying to find an NSTC-U
colored menu like this! Can you release the patch?

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:15:17 am »
Just to clarify, I'm fully aware that this is a trivial concern. Obviously the controllers aren't seen often even in games where they do appear and it's clearly not a dealbreaker. I just think it's nice to see the Super Famicom/PAL SNES design restored where possible.

I think these are cool, I was thinking about doing some myself, but never got around to it.

I grew up with USA SNES, but I've always thought the purple scheme was kind of lame looking. I always use the InterAct Superpad, which is weird because I usually don't like third party controllers.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:35 am »
That Breath of Fire II minigame where you have to push the "red" and "yellow" buttons. :P
(Somehow despite owning an asciiPad, which some argue was the best third-party licensed controller) I still didn't put that together what the instructions meant as a kid. (probably since I usually only used said controller for games where it's actually useful and I used the stock controller otherwise)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018