News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating a SNES rom from Japanese into English  (Read 7911 times)

Sanjian

Translating a SNES rom from Japanese into English
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:22:11 am »
I have, over the past 10+ years been looking (okay not all of the time) for a translated version of a game that for some reason I completely love!

It is called Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 2 for the Super Nintendo released in the east. It is in all purposes a fishing RPG.

I have been on this site for about 30 minutes and have found that Kawa no Nushi Tsuri the NES release has a partial translation into English and a FULL Russian translation but there is nothing for Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 2. Now there is another post about this game and a few people have said they just cant be bothered with doing it which is fair enough.

Now im offering to pay someone to fully translate this rom into English purly for the fact that ive tried to understand how to translate and hack a rom but im just not that advanced in computing terms, I don't understand hex editors or patching or even ripping roms, all terms ive come across in my searches.

Im hoping that its not against forum rules to say your willing to pay someone to do something, I did read the sticky at the top and it didn't mention anything about it.

So with that said, how much would you want for translating this game fully into English for me to be able to enjoy it more than it already is.

If someone does a good job and im happy with the translation I would also pay for the same person to translate Umi no Nushi Tsuri

Hopefuly the prospect of getting something for doing it will convince those able to do, to do for me :)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Translating a SNES rom from Japanese into English
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:35:34 am »
You know what kinda prices these guys would ask even if they did wanna do it? I'm not talking a couple hundred dollars either.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Translating a SNES rom from Japanese into English
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:29 am »
I think you should read this sticky topic:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,6734.msg106447.html#msg106447

I'll give you a free pass since you did read the rules. However, this is still considered personal solicitation and/or advertising. This site is aggressive against commercial solicitation. It aggravates our already strained legal standing, not to mention it's also considered poor community ethics by most around here.

Lastly, unless you are independently wealthy, you can't afford to pay the freelance consulting rates required (even if you did find someone for this potentially illegal job in most countries). Such ROM translation projects usually take hundreds of man hours and usually two or more people. Rates would be typical consulting rates ranging from $10-$150/hour depending on the country, location, expertise, employment, and financial situation of the consultant. Regardless, you're looking at quite a few thousand dollars.

If you are independently wealthy and have thousands to spend, I hope you consider helping to pay our site's meager server bills. ;D
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations