News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.08a)  (Read 270295 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.07)
« Reply #980 on: January 30, 2020, 11:52:04 am »
Hi Rodimus, and thank you for your work  :thumbsup:
Do you think you can add the PAL-fix (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/106/) to your patch ? The source is included.

I can as I'm sure its compatible. Has anyone tested it?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 31, 2020, 07:03:30 am »
Just tested it on my PAL modded Super Famicom. Seems to work. I got as far as Terra and Locke's escape from Narshe. No glitches or crashes. Granted that's a modded system so it needs testing on a native PAL SNES to be sure. It should work though.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 02, 2020, 11:49:29 am »
Just tested it on my PAL modded Super Famicom. Seems to work. I got as far as Terra and Locke's escape from Narshe. No glitches or crashes. Granted that's a modded system so it needs testing on a native PAL SNES to be sure. It should work though.

That's good to hear. Since its a bugfix, I'll add it to the bug fix patches.

I'm also thinking about altering a line that I changed recently for accuracy. When the Chancellor shouts atop of the castle before Figaro dives into the sand, the US translation was like this:

CHANCELLOR: No one can touch the people of Figaro!

GBA line:
Chancellor: Witness the glory of Figaro!

However, the original line in Japanese was a little more flowery, which is surprising that Woolsey condensed it so much:

大臣「さあ!
 黄金の大海原にダイブする
 フィガロの勇姿!
 とくと見せてやるわ!!
Loosely translated by Kwhazit:
Chancellor: Now!
 Behold Figaro as she dives
 into the great golden ocean!
 Enjoy your front-row seats!!

So when my recent change was like this:
Chancellor: Now! Behold the glory of Figaro, as she dives into the great golden ocean!

I saw a recent playthrough by someone on Twitch and some noted that they missed the original line from Woolsey. I was thinking of adding to it so the original line is still present with the flowery fun from the Japanese like this:

Chancellor: Now! Behold the glory of Figaro, as she dives into the great golden ocean! <EOP>
No one can touch the people of Figaro!!

What do you guys think?

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 02, 2020, 07:00:47 pm »
Wait, what happens if you play this bugfix on a NTSC system?

CO_Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 03, 2020, 03:48:13 am »
How about this?

Behold! Witness the glory of Figaro as she dives into the vast golden ocean! This castle and its people shall remain untouchable!

Using Figaro in another sentence right after sounds a bit unnatural.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 03, 2020, 08:57:44 am »
Wait, what happens if you play this bugfix on a NTSC system?

To my understanding it shouldn't affect it at all. It's just the code that has the game correctly when it's in a PAL system.

How about this?

Behold! Witness the glory of Figaro as she dives into the vast golden ocean! This castle and its people shall remain untouchable!

Using Figaro in another sentence right after sounds a bit unnatural.

I thought so too about using Figaro twice. I do want to keep the original line in some capacity. What about this for the second sentence?

No one can touch this castle or its people!

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 03, 2020, 12:52:51 pm »
I'm also thinking about altering a line that I changed recently for accuracy. When the Chancellor shouts atop of the castle before Figaro dives into the sand, the US translation was like this:
I saw a recent playthrough by someone on Twitch and some noted that they missed the original line from Woolsey. I was thinking of adding to it so the original line is still present with the flowery fun from the Japanese like this:
What do you guys think?

I think that you can rewrite it to be a bit funnier. To us, that line is so flowery that it ends up being lame and longwinded, but I think you can maintain it if you play it up for over-the-top cheese. Like, write it to be something Gilgamesh would say if he were hosting a magic show. This is a mockup, but...

"Mwahahaha! Behold, Empire dogs!"<EOP>
"Behold the might of Figaro, as we dive into the great golden sea!"<EOP>
"We are unyielding! Untouchable! INVINCIBLE!!"

Remember that you don't have to specifically use words like "glory" or "ocean" or "witness". Try using a thesaurus for finding punchier dialogue.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:24:11 pm by BlazeHeatnix »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 03, 2020, 03:08:33 pm »
I think that you can rewrite it to be a bit funnier. To us, that line is so flowery that it ends up being lame and longwinded, but I think you can maintain it if you play it up for over-the-top cheese. Like, write it to be something Gilgamesh would say if he were hosting a magic show. This is a mockup, but...

Remember that you don't have to specifically use words like "glory" or "ocean" or "witness". Try using a thesaurus for finding punchier dialogue.

Very true. I was just looking at it from my initial thoughts before making changes of course. Still, as hammy as we can make it, I still want to retain that initial line from Woolsey while keeping the details of the original text.

Perhaps this might work:

Chancellor:Now! Behold this castle's might as she dives into the great golden ocean! <EOP>
No one can touch the people of Figaro!

CO_Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:21 pm »
Looks good. Kinda iffy on "great golden ocean", but i'm not sure what else would work if you insist on keeping "great".

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 04, 2020, 11:13:02 am »
Looks good. Kinda iffy on "great golden ocean", but i'm not sure what else would work if you insist on keeping "great".

"Great" doesn't need to be kept in this instance but it does make it sound as flowery as intended. It can be like this:

Chancellor:Now! Behold this castle's might as she dives into the vast golden ocean! <EOP>
No one can touch the people of Figaro!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:37:30 am by Rodimus Primal »

Beepatrice

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 05, 2020, 04:39:53 pm »
I really like "great golden ocean," personally. I think the alliteration makes it sound more dramatic, and it just flows better.

immrshrike

• View Profile
Is it possible to apply this patch together with the italian translation patch?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Is it possible to apply this patch together with the italian translation patch?

Perhaps it might work if the Italian script was extracted and then inserted after the patch is applied. The problem is, some of the text has been moved to a different location than a vanilla ROM, such as item descriptions. It would need a reworking to combine the two.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Version 2.08 is now ready for download!

With this update, the B Button dash has now been updated so that the Sprint Shoes are no longer useless. Now you can use them to go even faster when holding down the B Button. As such, SilentEnigma's Sliding Dash has been added to make sure the animation runs smoothly. In addition, his Description Disruption patch has been applied as well.

I decided to make the Chancellor's line when Figaro submerges be a combo and it all fits in one text box. Now it says the following:

Chancellor:Now! Behold this castle's might as she dives into the vast golden ocean! No one can touch the people of Figaro!! 

I also fixed a line when Kefka confronts the party at the Sealed Gate by reverting it back to Woolsey's original (which works better in context).

Kefka:
How does it feel to know
you've been working for us?!
Hee-hee-hee...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:52:42 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Special

• View Profile
Is that even safe? Doesn't sound very safe.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Is that even safe? Doesn't sound very safe.

The B Button dash? It runs like the Playstation version except the animation is smoother thanks to the Sliding Dash patch.

Special

• View Profile
At least buff the protection for some of the helmets and maybe the two belt relics.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
I had to submit a quick update to Version 2.08a. I found out the Description Disruption caused errors in the game menus. I also fixed the spell descriptions for Libra and Quake, since they overflowed into the next line and did not need to.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:26:00 pm by Rodimus Primal »

dkg2901

• View Profile
Hi Rodimus

Looking forward to playing my first playthrough of your mod.  I have heard great things and excited to jump in.

I am having some issues getting it to run.  I am using an unheadered version 1 of FF6 and patching using Lunar IPS per your instructions in the readme text file.  However, when I load the game (using snes9x 1.6) the introduction cutscene just loops endlessly. 

Do you know what the issue may be?

Thanks again

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Hi Rodimus

Looking forward to playing my first playthrough of your mod.  I have heard great things and excited to jump in.

I am having some issues getting it to run.  I am using an unheadered version 1 of FF6 and patching using Lunar IPS per your instructions in the readme text file.  However, when I load the game (using snes9x 1.6) the introduction cutscene just loops endlessly. 

Do you know what the issue may be?

Thanks again

It has to be an unheadered FFIII (U) 1.0 ROM. It won't work trying to patch it to a Japanese FF6 ROM file. Let me know if you get it working.