News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.05)  (Read 181789 times)

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
Old Man: Ha! Semantic nonsense! Like there's a difference...

Personally, I think it's redundant to keep both phrases. I would just remove "semantic nonsense" altogether.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Personally, I think it's redundant to keep both phrases. I would just remove "semantic nonsense" altogether.

I don't think so. It's used in both the SNES and GBA translations, and it puts an emphasis on Arvis's point. He's basically saying to Locke "you're splitting hairs at this point."

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Can't wait to see you guys refining the script even further. I made my own retranslated FF6 script years ago, the same way you did but trying to step away from the Woolsey quirks, but years later I cringed at my own work (I was making it for a message board I no longer visit full of Woolsey purists, to stick it to them and add stealth references to internal memes like the "goons" line from FF4), and I've soured on Lina's interpretation in the last years (I think that whole analysis gave too much credit to some simple lines and wordplay and glorified the details, nuances and dialogue a little too much like fansubbers often do, with verbose, punched up and bordering on "poetic" interpretations) The kwhazit and Tomato translations made me realize it's a simple story for kids, and both official translations have kept that simplicity.

So even if I'm far from being a fan of Woolsey's "quirky meme lines", I'm liking this project so much because it's keeping that simplicity.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Can't wait to see you guys refining the script even further. I made my own retranslated FF6 script years ago, the same way you did but trying to step away from the Woolsey quirks, but years later I cringed at my own work (I was making it for a message board I no longer visit full of Woolsey purists, to stick it to them and add stealth references to internal memes like the "goons" line from FF4), and I've soured on Lina's interpretation in the last years (I think that whole analysis gave too much credit to some simple lines and wordplay and glorified the details, nuances and dialogue a little too much like fansubbers often do, with verbose, punched up and bordering on "poetic" interpretations) The kwhazit and Tomato translations made me realize it's a simple story for kids, and both official translations have kept that simplicity.

So even if I'm far from being a fan of Woolsey's "quirky meme lines", I'm liking this project so much because it's keeping that simplicity.

Thanks. I prefer the simplicity as well.

June 12, 2019, 11:13:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another thing I want to point out that some do not realize is that quotes in the middle of battle have a much more limited space than in dialog elsewhere. That being said, some of the battle quotes from characters such as Ultros or Vargas have to be shortened from their flowery GBA counterparts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:13:46 am by Rodimus Primal »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
Thanks. I prefer the simplicity as well.

June 12, 2019, 11:13:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another thing I want to point out that some do not realize is that quotes in the middle of battle have a much more limited space than in dialog elsewhere. That being said, some of the battle quotes from characters such as Ultros or Vargas have to be shortened from their flowery GBA counterparts.

I forgot about that. Sorry. Is there a definite character limit? I can try to rewrite them, if so.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
I forgot about that. Sorry. Is there a definite character limit? I can try to rewrite them, if so.

Don't worry about it. I am taking your suggestions into account and adapting them into what works.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
Don't worry about it. I am taking your suggestions into account and adapting them into what works.

Well, if it comes up again, can I at least know the character limit for monster dialog (I assume that's what you're referring to)?

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
South Figaro to Returners' Hideout is now complete.
May I suggest "took away" instead of "stole" when Locke talks about Rachel?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
May I suggest "took away" instead of "stole" when Locke talks about Rachel?

It's kind of funny you mention that. That's what I went with while going over BlazeHeatnix's suggestions. I didn't like the term stole for that either.

Also during Shadow's introduction, there was NO way I would EVER get rid of the famous line (It's like a Han SHOT first kind of thing), but I did expand on it to keep it in line with who and what he is.

"Edgar: That's Shadow...!
He's an assassin. I hear he'd slit his mama's throat for a nickel!"

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
Part 3: ULTROS ---> IMPERIAL CAMP
Part 4: IMPERIAL CAMP ---> VELDT

There's something I want to bring up before I go any further, and I want to mention it in this thread because it's irritating me with how little info there is on it:

You've mostly reverted all instances of "Imp" back to "Kappa", but I must respectfully object to this change. Not only will it not make sense to those unfamiliar with Japanese culture, but newer FF games have "Imp" as the name of the status, not Kappa, and I would prefer to be consistent with the rest of the series. In FFXIV, it's called a "Water Imp" as a compromise. Maybe use that?

However, the FF wiki says this:

If this is true, then I would at least think keeping this one Imp's name as "Kappa" is a good idea, especially since "Kappa the Imp" has a bit of a legacy among fans. But the problem is that there's no citation, and I can't find any screenshots or videos of this supposed tutor, so I don't know if the Imp is actually named or not. I also can't find anyone who has the game to check. If anyone owns Dissidia FF, then please confirm this for me.

Either way, if you do decide to keep all of these as "Kappa", then you might want to fix Ultros's line "Imp! Pal! Buddy!".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:00:04 am by BlazeHeatnix »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
I think people are as familiar with the creature 'Kappa' as they are with the creature 'Bahamut'. That is, until they start looking up where these names came from. Also, 'Kappa' looks a lot like a kappa.

And yeah nowadays I know Google is filled with this weirdass face that's called 'Kappa' but they sure will understand FF6 doesn't refer to that one  :happy:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Part 3: ULTROS ---> IMPERIAL CAMP
Part 4: IMPERIAL CAMP ---> VELDT

There's something I want to bring up before I go any further, and I want to mention it in this thread because it's irritating me with how little info there is on it:

You've mostly reverted all instances of "Imp" back to "Kappa", but I must respectfully object to this change. Not only will it not make sense to those unfamiliar with Japanese culture, but newer FF games have "Imp" as the name of the status, not Kappa, and I would prefer to be consistent with the rest of the series. In FFXIV, it's called a "Water Imp" as a compromise. Maybe use that?

However, the FF wiki says this:

If this is true, then I would at least think keeping this one Imp's name as "Kappa" is a good idea, especially since "Kappa the Imp" has a bit of a legacy among fans. But the problem is that there's no citation, and I can't find any screenshots or videos of this supposed tutor, so I don't know if the Imp is actually named or not. I also can't find anyone who has the game to check. If anyone owns Dissidia FF, then please confirm this for me.

Either way, if you do decide to keep all of these as "Kappa", then you might want to fix Ultros's line "Imp! Pal! Buddy!".

All spells are named Imp, but the character is Kappa. That's how it has been for a while.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
All spells are named Imp, but the character is Kappa. That's how it has been for a while.

Oh...well then I guess you just forgot a couple strings, then.

“Kappa”
Lose use of spells and commands.

You’re not gonna believe this! Quality, high-tech merchandise! A “Kappa Robot”! Do I hear 5 Gil?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Oh...well then I guess you just forgot a couple strings, then.

It's a good thing you pointed them out. I thought I had changed them all.

June 17, 2019, 12:29:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, so I've been going through the script again, looking at Mato's notes well past what BlazeHeatnix suggested now, and I am glad I did so. I'm as far a Locke, Rachel, and the old man and I can already say that the script is already looking better at this point. I also realize that there's some bits missing for censorship reasons with Rachel's spirit AND a mistranslation about the legendary item. With this, I combined elements from Woolsey with the GBA to make it a bit clearer.

Original:
Locke: You mean those herbs have actually saved her?
Of course!
The love of your life will sleep here like this forever.
Kwa, ha, ha!
Locke: What if there were some way to...call her back?
If you could call her back...
...she'd come back!
Wah, ha, ha!
I'm sure you'll find something that'll bring her around!
Kuha, ha, ha!!

Updated:
Locke: You're sure those herbs will work?
Of course! The love of your life will sleep here like this forever.
Kwa, ha, ha!
Locke: What if there were some way to_call her spirit back?
A way to call her back, eh?
...You mean like that legendary treasure? Wah, ha, ha!
Oh, yes, I suppose if you had that you could bring her around!
Kuha, ha, ha!!

The soldier in Figaro that says "We sighted Kefka in the area!" is completely wrong, and so I updated it. "If only you could've seen the look on Kefka's face as we sank into the sand! It was a sight to behold!"

One thing I will say though, there's quite a few lines that in the translation fixes, some parts are now additions to Woolsey's original line.

For example, the NPC in South Figaro states "Duncan's students have no peers!" This was a complete mistranslation from the guy, who literally just says "You look a lot like one of Duncan's students." So, instead of just changing it for the sake of changing it, I added to it with another line. "In fact, you look just like one of them!"

When Kefka is running from Sabin before poisoning Doma, the original line was laughing, which was mistranslated panting from being out of breath.

Original:
 Ha, ha, ha, ha...
 What a toad!

Updated:
 *gasp* ... *pant* ...
 Geez, what a persistent toad!

I also updated the fake Siegfried on the Phantom Train a bit too. The GBA went a little too extreme in adding to his words before the fight, but I went for a compromise.

Original: 
Man: I am Siegfried, the world’s greatest swordsman! That treasure chest is mine. If I were you, ox, I’d grab grandpa here, and run!
Sabin: You look more like a manicurist. Now SCRAM!!!
Siegfreid: Aha! The ox bellows! Allow me to introduce my blade!

Updated:

Man: I am Siegfried, the world's greatest swordsman! That treasure chest is mine.
If I were you, you overmuscled ox, I'd grab grandpa here, and run while you still can!
Sabin: You look more like a manicurist. Now SCRAM!!!
Siegfried: Aha! The ox bellows! For those brazen words I shall fillet you with my blade!
En guarde!

His battle text was a bit mishandled too. He's supposed to taunt you right before the real fighting starts, but instead repeats what he should say later in the fight.

Original:
 Go Guys!
 Ha, Ha, Ha!
 Give up?

Updated:
 You kids better get ready,
 because here I come!
 Hi-yaaaa!

Most players don't see the second part of the dialog because they trash him after one round, but if you wait a few rounds, he'll taunt you again. Another case of panting mistaken for laughing.

Original:
 Ha, Ha, ha!
 Give up yet?

Updated:
 *huff* *pant*
 Give up yet?

As this gets fine tuned, if there's anything that stands out to you guys, be sure to let me know. I'd like to address these mistranslations well and make the next update well worth it!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:29:24 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Is Siegfried's name made consistent in that scene? Despite what some people think, there's no "intentional" misspelling to hint at the guy being a fake (you're only supposed to deduce this was a fake when you meet the chill guy in the WoR), it was just his name misspelled twice with a Z or without an I in the same scene.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Is Siegfried's name made consistent in that scene? Despite what some people think, there's no "intentional" misspelling to hint at the guy being a fake (you're only supposed to deduce this was a fake when you meet the chill guy in the WoR), it was just his name misspelled twice with a Z or without an I in the same scene.

Much like the GBA, I made sure to keep it consistently Siegfried throughout. To my understanding, the guy on the train probably used the REAL Siegfried's name to scare people away with his blowhard quips and was probably killed for it. After all, everyone on the IS dead. That was something I did back when I first did this project. It's just a bit more accurate now.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
It's a good thing you pointed them out. I thought I had changed them all.

June 17, 2019, 12:29:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, so I've been going through the script again, looking at Mato's notes well past what BlazeHeatnix suggested now, and I am glad I did so.

So does this mean you want me to stop? I just haven't had time lately.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
So does this mean you want me to stop? I just haven't had time lately.

You can still look through it with your suggestions. I can send you a copy of the file with the newly updated script so you're not overlapping in them.

mkwong98

• View Profile
The soldier in Figaro that says "We sighted Kefka in the area!" is completely wrong, and so I updated it. "If only you could've seen the look on Kefka's face as we sank into the sand! It was a sight to behold!"

I think "dived" or "dove" is more suitable than "sank".