News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.97a)  (Read 76480 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.96)
« Reply #480 on: October 20, 2017, 12:13:02 am »
Yea, I was checking the timing for the OST version of the ending, because things were out of sync, with your patch installed, and noticed the problem, did a number of checks afterwards with differently patched roms to track down which one was causing the problem (needed to add some silence to the beginning of the track, and fade-out/fade-in to eliminate the cross-fade into part 2 of the ending, and add some more silence between the 2 parts. timing's perfect now).

The point at which the lockup causes the unending black screen seems to be if you don't hit the button to advance the text until after the next section's music (I think it was shadow's) ends.

The only way to keep things in sync is to be ready to hit the button to advance the text in Relm's ending as soon as it pops up. (with or without the MSU-1 audio playing, the effect is the same).

October 18, 2017, 02:44:30 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry for the double-post, but I felt my last post too old for just editing this in.

The Music Player patch is compatible with the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod... Mostly... With some glitching...

With the Music Player patch and the Dancing Mad MSU-1 patch both applied, there is some slight audio glitching when entering/exiting the menu screen (usually just a momentary muting of the sound).

In at least one location, the Returner's Hideout, after Banon joins your party, and you are supposed to get on the raft, if you return to the hideout, exiting the menu screen will mute the music until you change rooms, and the wrong track will play on the screen just outside the Returner's Hideout (not the world map, the screen just outside the cave). This only happens with both patches applied, either one individually is fine.

This is likely not something that can be fixed without the code for the music player patch, since it's not a case of both patches using the same block of data, and frankly is minor enough to not be worth the time to fix (as compatibility is a nice bonus the patch author didn't even consider until I started testing, though I've seen him use the TWUE patch and music player on at least one of his demo videos since then, lol).

My advice: Use just the TWUE + MSU patches (patch with MSU then patch TWUE). If you want to use the music player to listen to the MSU-1 music tracks at some point, copy your rom file, apply the music player patch, use the player to listen to the music, then revert to the patch without the music player to continue playing the game.

Madsuir who made the Music Player (and the version that comes with Woolsey Uncensored) made a fix, but to my understanding has issues with volume being too loud. If you download their hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3183/ the fixes are in that file. Perhaps I should include them in my Music Player file.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 21, 2017, 04:00:37 am »
Madsuir who made the Music Player (and the version that comes with Woolsey Uncensored) made a fix, but to my understanding has issues with volume being too loud. If you download their hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3183/ the fixes are in that file. Perhaps I should include them in my Music Player file.
At least part of the problem comes from this part of his patch:
I coded a current field song save when entering main menu
and song restore when pressing B to exit the main menu. This should guarantee
the music player song will never play on the field, even if silence was the
previous field song.
Since there's a noticeable audio glitch every time you leave the menu when using the MSU patch with that one. (pretty sure Insidious has a similar code somewhere for the MSU audio and the glitch is from running both sets of code)

I do have to say, his readme is very well documented on the changes made and what they do. If there's a similar document covering the changes made to the TWUE version, Insidious might be able to fix that part of the issue.

Those music player fixes would likely help though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:14:19 am by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 21, 2017, 10:49:12 pm »
At least part of the problem comes from this part of his patch:Since there's a noticeable audio glitch every time you leave the menu when using the MSU patch with that one. (pretty sure Insidious has a similar code somewhere for the MSU audio and the glitch is from running both sets of code)

I do have to say, his readme is very well documented on the changes made and what they do. If there's a similar document covering the changes made to the TWUE version, Insidious might be able to fix that part of the issue.

Those music player fixes would likely help though.

The only difference between the one for unpatched games and TWUE is that the Song Titles were moved slightly because they occupied the same free space as another patch I had used. So if a fix can be made so that the Music Player can be used with the MSU-1 patch it should work with TWUE as well.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »
The only difference between the one for unpatched games and TWUE is that the Song Titles were moved slightly because they occupied the same free space as another patch I had used. So if a fix can be made so that the Music Player can be used with the MSU-1 patch it should work with TWUE as well.
I'll pass the relevant sections of code to Insidious, not sure if he'll put any priority on that though. ATM he's doing a thorough playthrough looking for issues before the final beta release, while I'm doing a playthrough looking for any places the soundtrack can be improved, especially by the inclusion of more SFX tracks.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2017, 03:45:01 pm »
I've finally done it.  I've created a "greatest hits" for patching with everything including the add ons version.  Pastebin approved as far as I can tell.  Update as you wish Rodimus.  Submitted for your approval:

1. Apply TWUE with addons, any config.  This should work with the sound player as well.
2. Apply Header.
-Vanish/Doom Fix
-Rage Patch (Optional, TWUE already has the Death Warden part.)
-Psycho Cyan
-Jump Megafix (Either version, but remember the letter.)
-Pincer+Row Fix
-Randomosity Random Monster Encounter Fix (This, jump megafix, and the zombie related patches are probably your most wanted as they fix the worst parts.)
-Miscolored Command Names (Mostly cosmetic.  Both work, but equipment based is recommended.)

3. Remove Header
-Zombie/Tapir (Any version.)
-Zombie/Rippler (Any version.)
-Ultimate Damage Fix
-Walk This Way
-Imp's Retort (Remember to keep an eye out for the Jump Megafix compatible ones, also you really want to use this if you used Psycho Cyan.)
-Imp's Rage
-Imp's Call
-Imp Skimp (Cosmetic)
-Self Sneeze
-Upside Down (Cosmetic)
-Chain of Command (Mostly cosmetic.  Remember to keep an eye out for the Miscolored Command Name related patches.)

Untested is the Map fix, and most little things like Swdtech speedup (someone might've done the latter though as it's popular).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:48:09 pm by Chronosplit »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 23, 2017, 05:47:40 pm »
Thanks, Chronosplit! Thank you so MUCH. :D

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:31 pm »
Thanks Chronosplit, It would be nice to have a guide explaining what these patches do and where we can find them, because I do feel vanilla TWUE is a little too conservative with bugfixes for my tastes.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.97)
« Reply #487 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Ok! Version 1.97 has been approved and it includes all of these fixes:

-Fixes the letter I for spacing issue.
-Adds ll,il, and, li tiles which allowed some of the monster names to be fixed (Silver Lobo, LandGrillon, etc)
-Fixed some monster names
-Script fixes which includes the soft locking bug from the ending with Relm and Strago
-Adds the optional fixes to the Music Player 

I've finally done it.  I've created a "greatest hits" for patching with everything including the add ons version.  Pastebin approved as far as I can tell.  Update as you wish Rodimus.  Submitted for your approval:

1. Apply TWUE with addons, any config.  This should work with the sound player as well.
2. Apply Header.
-Vanish/Doom Fix
-Rage Patch (Optional, TWUE already has the Death Warden part.)
-Psycho Cyan
-Jump Megafix (Either version, but remember the letter.)
-Randomosity Random Monster Encounter Fix (This, jump megafix, and the zombie related patches are probably your most wanted as they fix the worst parts.)
-Miscolored Command Names (Mostly cosmetic.  Both work, but equipment based is recommended.)

3. Remove Header
-Zombie/Tapir (Any version.)
-Zombie/Rippler (Any version.)
-Ultimate Damage Fix
-Walk This Way
-Imp's Retort (remember to keep an eye out for the Jump Megafix compatible ones.)
-Imp's Rage
-Imp's Call
-Imp Skimp (Cosmetic)
-Self Sneeze
-Upside Down (Cosmetic)
-Chain of Command (Mostly cosmetic.  Remember to keep an eye out for the Miscolored Command Name related patches.)

Untested is the Map fix, and most little things like Swdtech speedup (someone might've done the latter though as it's popular).

Some of these can be worth it as they are just bug fixes (like the Imp ones) but some are exploit killers (Psycho Cyan and Vanish/Doom) and that wasn't the scope of Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition. Some also change some of the original functions in game too. That's why Chronosplit's list is so crucial since I've noticed that adding some of them causes problems with FF3USME after the fact.

Seriously though, Chronosplit, thank you for compiling this list. Perhaps I should rewrite it with a description of what each of them does so that people can optionally add them. I believe a majority of them are here on RHDN but I could be wrong.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:02 pm »
You're all very welcome!

Yeah I agree with the Imp patches now (though Retort wouldn't be in TWUE either way as it's the "other half" of Psycho Cyan), and I believe that the Zombie patches are actually updated versions of the Tapir and Ripple fixes.  Imp and Zombie are just cursed in the game.

Also I forgot to add Pincer+Row to that.  Whoopsie, it's low priority but fixed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:46:31 pm by Chronosplit »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 24, 2017, 01:39:46 am »
Something weird happened when I beat the new version.

When it gets to the part where Relm and Strago are escaping Kefka's Tower in the end cut scene.
The game suddenly stops. But the music keeps playing and graphics keep moving but the screen stops with her dialogue displayed and just sits there frozen. Then after pushing the A button the dialogue proceeds as if it were a general conversation occurring in a town instead of being automatic during a cut scene.

Is there is a malfunction in the patch or is it on my end.  :)
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 24, 2017, 06:53:44 am »

When it gets to the part where Relm and Strago are escaping Kefka's Tower in the end cut scene.
The game suddenly stops. But the music keeps playing and graphics keep moving but the screen stops with her dialogue displayed and just sits there frozen. Then after pushing the A button the dialogue proceeds as if it were a general conversation occurring in a town instead of being automatic during a cut scene.

wait, it doesn't proceed? I was sure I made sure the line had the right coding. I'm going to have to look further into this later tonight.

Edit- Wait, did you update to version 1.97 yet? I fixed that with the new version as you aren't the first to report on that bug. I can double check to make sure I created the patches correctly, as that COULD be the issue. But if you aren't using 1.97, I'd upgrade now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:50:05 pm by Rodimus Primal »

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2017, 05:18:58 am »

Tested, bug seems gone.

Are you absolutely sure you're using the 1.97 patch, and not the 1.96 one? Because that bug was present in the 1.96 patch.

*edit- I used the "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons" patch. Which one were you using?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2017, 09:03:11 am »
Found a typo on the latest patch, Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97) + Bug Fixes.ips should be Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97) + Bugs.ips

mirite

I kid

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 26, 2017, 07:35:13 pm »
I double checked all of the patches on Version 1.97 and I can confirm that the bug was fixed. The reason this happened was because I added a line for Strago to say in the ending not realizing it would cause the game to need to be advanced since it's all timed out. So I kept the line in by adding it to the first text box and removed the need to press anything to advance.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 28, 2017, 04:30:13 am »
I'm not sure if this is a mistranslation or not, but in the WoR Opera House just after beating the Earth Dragon, if you talk to Impresario he says:
"Looks like we're gonna have to save the day once again!"

It seems something along the lines of:
"Looks like you've saved the day once again!"
Would be more appropriate.

*edit- I was thinking maybe that's a line that the party is supposed to say right after talking to Impresario before fighting Earth Dragon.

pizzaguy

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 29, 2017, 10:31:52 pm »
I'm at the point where you find "Gerad" in Nikeah, and when I try to talk to him for the 3rd time before he heads to his ship, the game soft locks and I can't continue forward. I tried changing who was the first character in the order, leaving and coming back, and talking to other people but it just freezes there every time. I was able to find a workaround by loading up my save state into an unmodified FFVI ROM, getting past that part, saving, and loading it up again in the TWUE ROM.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:57:14 pm by pizzaguy »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 30, 2017, 12:57:35 am »
I'm at the point where you find "Gerad" in Nikeah, and when I try to talk to him for the 3rd time before he heads to his ship, the game soft locks and I can't continue forward. I tried changing who was the first character in the order, leaving and coming back, and talking to other people but it just freezes there every time. I was able to find a workaround by loading up my save state into an unmodified FFVI ROM, getting past that part, saving, and loading it up again in the TWUE ROM.

Dang it! I knew I forgot something! It's caused by the bugfix (Gerad and Sabin) for that moment in the script. If any editing is done in FF3USME, then it messes with that bugfix. For some reason, ANY of Leet Sketcher's fixes have an issue with TWUE if you use FF3USME to edit after the fact. I'm going to fix it soon (give me a day or so!)

However, if you want to fix it yourself, download Leet Sketcher's fix here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2650/ and use the unheadered reverse patch, then repatch it with the unheadered fix.

pizzaguy

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2017, 02:33:25 pm »
Dang it! I knew I forgot something! It's caused by the bugfix (Gerad and Sabin) for that moment in the script. If any editing is done in FF3USME, then it messes with that bugfix. For some reason, ANY of Leet Sketcher's fixes have an issue with TWUE if you use FF3USME to edit after the fact. I'm going to fix it soon (give me a day or so!)

However, if you want to fix it yourself, download Leet Sketcher's fix here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2650/ and use the unheadered reverse patch, then repatch it with the unheadered fix.

Thanks man. So far I've been able to continue with the game without any issues after loading the save state in a vanilla ROM, getting past that, and then loading the original ROM. I should note I'm using the TWUE with all of the options selected.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 30, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »
Huh, who knew?  After applying the anti-patch this works just fine.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:42 pm »
Huh, who knew?  After applying the anti-patch this works just fine.

Yeah it's weird. But it's fixed now. I've submitted the update to iron out that bug. I just have to remember that if I make any further edits to the game to do that.

Happy Halloween everybody!