News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.97a)  (Read 78432 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.96)
« Reply #460 on: September 17, 2017, 12:32:51 am »
Hey, since this is up has anyone attempted the condensed spell list with TWUE?  It doesn't appear to overwrite any spell names, which is great.

Anywho.

Hey guys. I've played FF6 (the FF3 US SNES release) as a kid but never finished it and want to go back and play it all the way through, but I'm having a hard time deciding which version is best.

Is this considered the best version of the game? I'm looking, I guess, for the version that is truest to the original vision of the Japanese game designers, but  understandable (that is to say, literal translations sometimes aren't the truest to the original vision because they don't express the original ideas adequately in the new language).

You want this one, yes.  Best description I can think of on this subject is that it's as close as the SNES script can get to original without losing the SNES nuance.  What we should've had in the first place, more like.  I agree with Rodimus on what he says.

Also, I'll definitely be using the Bug Fixes if I use TWUE, but should I use the Updated Opera and Add-ons?

Thanks so much.
Bug Fixes IMO are a must, the selection here hits all the worst ones while still preserving the original SNES feel.  If you're not going to be adding much of anything else the addons are great (though it appears limited additional patches do cooperate with them I can't say anything 100% definitive).

I vote for the new Opera, though this is personal preference it is official.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:11:43 pm by Chronosplit »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:33 am »
You know, around 5 or 6 years ago I was making a FF6 hack with the public tools and patches available, with a script rewrite and bugfixes, for some people at a message board I no longer visit. I stopped out of frustration when trying to patch the menus to have longer command names and patching the title screen back to "Final Fantasy VI", one of the patches undid the other.

But this hack has everything I wanted from a technical standpoint. And more. I've been quietly following this hack's progress, until it gets to a developed enough point so I can use my own script for the game (which was made the same way as you guys did, just not as conservative, for example I don't care much for some of the classic meme lines), and then maybe release it as an addendum patch.

And despite all of that, I'm not even touching the Opera with a ten foot pole. At first I didn't wanna upset the more purist types at my old message board, now it doesn't matter because this hack is perfect for these guys. But nah, I feel like retiming all the text is gonna be a huge hassle and I'll have to replay the GBA version to analyze all the dialogue in the scene...

Oh, crap. I forgot I want to do a Spanish translation. I won't be able to run away from changing the opera after all.

Voyaging

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 19, 2017, 02:08:23 pm »
I took a lot of care to try and make Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition be the best version and a lot of people consider it as such. While it doesn't have the extras that the GBA and PC versions have, it takes the original US Final Fantasy III to being what it needs to be. I made sure the font was the same, with the exception of taking a pixel of space in between letters to give more text space overall. The translation used Woolsey's translation as a base, but I literally went line for line looking at the GBA, RPGOne, and a direct dry Japanese translation from Lina Darkstar as I edited it. Sometimes I inserted a GBA line, and sometimes I merely uncensored the lines.

I went for modern naming for spells (Thunder instead of Bolt 1), items (Phoenix Down instead of FenixDown), and monster names (with a few exceptions such as Bum Rush). This was done because that is Square's official naming currently and is what they are directly from Japanese. There are still instances of abbreviations which I couldn't get around for REALLY long names (like Litwor Chicken).

As for the opera, that is up to you. As much as I like the modern take (which is what Square has had people sing IN CONCERT), I decided it was best to include the original for people who prefer it.

I say the Bug Fixes and Add-Ons are worth it as well. You don't NEED to add the Music Player, but it's a nice addition for people who want something that the GBA version has. .

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply, and for your hard work. I'll definitely be playing through your version.

You want this one, yes.  Best description I can think of on this subject is that it's as close as the SNES script can get to original without losing the SNES nuance.  What we should've had in the first place, more like.  I agree with Rodimus on what he says.
Bug Fixes IMO are a must, the selection here hits all the worst ones while still preserving the original SNES feel.  If you're not going to be adding much of anything else the addons are great (though it appears limited additional patches do cooperate with them I can't say anything 100% definitive).

I vote for the new Opera, though this is personal preference it is official.

Bold is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much. What exactly do the Add-Ons add-on?

I also have a quick question just out of curiosity. Rodimus mentioned  that he used e.g. Thunder in place of Bolt 1. Does Square Enix do the same thing with rereleases? Like, in the PC/mobile version of FF6 (or the PSOne Classic version), did they change Bolt to Thunder? What sort of translation did they use in general?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52:42 am »
Awesome, thanks so much for the reply, and for your hard work. I'll definitely be playing through your version.

Bold is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much. What exactly do the Add-Ons add-on?

I also have a quick question just out of curiosity. Rodimus mentioned  that he used e.g. Thunder in place of Bolt 1. Does Square Enix do the same thing with rereleases? Like, in the PC/mobile version of FF6 (or the PSOne Classic version), did they change Bolt to Thunder? What sort of translation did they use in general?

Ever since FFVIII, Square began using a unified naming of spells and items. So every Final Fantasy after, including re-releases and remakes, use them. So Ice-1, Ice-2, Ice-3 becomes Blizzard, Blizzara, and Blizzaga. The GBA and Steam/Mobile versions of FFVI use them as well. The PSX version is for the most part an unaltered SNES version with LONG load times and unnecessary video FMVs at the beginning and end of the game.

The Add-Ons include the name of the Blitz spells in the main menu, and what the rewards display for when you bet an item in the colosseum.

I know it might be long and tedious, but I recommend going through some of the back pages in this topic, as well as checking out the ReadMe file if you haven't already.

Voyaging

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:54 pm »
Ever since FFVIII, Square began using a unified naming of spells and items. So every Final Fantasy after, including re-releases and remakes, use them. So Ice-1, Ice-2, Ice-3 becomes Blizzard, Blizzara, and Blizzaga. The GBA and Steam/Mobile versions of FFVI use them as well. The PSX version is for the most part an unaltered SNES version with LONG load times and unnecessary video FMVs at the beginning and end of the game.

The Add-Ons include the name of the Blitz spells in the main menu, and what the rewards display for when you bet an item in the colosseum.

I know it might be long and tedious, but I recommend going through some of the back pages in this topic, as well as checking out the ReadMe file if you haven't already.

Awesome, thanks so much for the help, I'll start playing with your version ASAP.

I also see that you gave FFIV the same treatment! I actually have a save on the Virtual Console version of FFII where I got up to the part where you go to the Moon, but I'm tempted to restart with your version, as the translation in the original is really terrible, and also because I inadvertantly glitched the game and unintentionally bypassed having to do the Sealed Cave.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »
Has anyone checked if this patch will work with MSU-1 mods, such as the Dancing Mad mod (https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases)? And if so, does this patch need to be applied before or after the MSU-1 patch?

Does the bug fix patch remove any of the uber-damage exploits like Wind God Gau?

And which of the... 6? patches would I need to use?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:26:36 pm by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 09, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »
Has anyone checked if this patch will work with MSU-1 mods, such as the Dancing Mad mod (https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases)? And if so, does this patch need to be applied before or after the MSU-1 patch?

Does the bug fix patch remove any of the uber-damage exploits like Wind God Gau?

And which of the... 6? patches would I need to use?

I don't know if anyone has tested this to work with the MSU-1 mods and I'm not sure where it uses the free space in the game to make this work.

I made it a point to not remove any exploits when I added any bug fixes. I wanted to keep the original experience while fixing annoying and sometimes game breaking bugs.

You only need to use ONE of the 6 patches to get what you are looking for. The Updated Opera is a the GBA version of the infamous opera scene that matches the music much better than the original lyrics did, but some people prefer the original so I made you make that choice. The read-me details what is in each one but if you want everything, patch with Bugfixes + Updated Opera + Add-ons.

The Music Player was custom coded by Madsuir to work with TWUE because the version he has on ff6hacking.com and on here uses some of the same free space in the game as Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition does. You can add this IF you want to, and it's nice to have, but not necessary.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:36 pm »
I don't know if anyone has tested this to work with the MSU-1 mods and I'm not sure where it uses the free space in the game to make this work.

I made it a point to not remove any exploits when I added any bug fixes. I wanted to keep the original experience while fixing annoying and sometimes game breaking bugs.

You only need to use ONE of the 6 patches to get what you are looking for. The Updated Opera is a the GBA version of the infamous opera scene that matches the music much better than the original lyrics did, but some people prefer the original so I made you make that choice. The read-me details what is in each one but if you want everything, patch with Bugfixes + Updated Opera + Add-ons.

The Music Player was custom coded by Madsuir to work with TWUE because the version he has on ff6hacking.com and on here uses some of the same free space in the game as Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition does. You can add this IF you want to, and it's nice to have, but not necessary.
I understand how the patch is set up, I was asking which of them would be compatible with the MSU-1 patch.

Since that post a week ago, I've been getting into helping Insidious611 work on his Dancing Mad MSU patch (it's in open-beta atm), helping him locate a few bugs, fix his PCM music (it's now normalized and a few parts are edited), and I made a few new tracks for him.

Just last night I started compatibility testing with this patch (applying the MSU patch first, then this patch), and was coming on here to post the results so far, when I saw your response. :thumbsup:

The patches appear 100% compatible so far (to the point that the music player plays the MSU-1 PCM tracks!!!), but too soon to say for sure; I've already found 1 bug in the MSU-1 patch itself while testing this patch with it, and need to wait for that to be fixed before I can continue testing (fix should be posted later today hopefully).

Do you have a list of the free space addresses this patch uses (TWUE 1.96 + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons + Music Player)? Possibly the easiest, and most thorough, compatibility test would be just comparing that list to the list Insidious611 uses (it's apparently a very small list), since you both use an unheadered v1.0 US ROM.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:10:51 pm by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:46 pm »
I understand how the patch is set up, I was asking which of them would be compatible with the MSU-1 patch.

Since that post a week ago, I've been getting into helping Insidious611 work on his Dancing Mad MSU patch (it's in open-beta atm), helping him locate a few bugs, fix his PCM music (it's now normalized and a few parts are edited), and I made a few new tracks for him.

Just last night I started compatibility testing with this patch (applying the MSU patch first, then this patch), and was coming on here to post the results so far, when I saw your response. :thumbsup:

The patches appear 100% compatible so far (to the point that the music player plays the MSU-1 PCM tracks!!!), but too soon to say for sure; I've already found 1 bug in the MSU-1 patch itself while testing this patch with it, and need to wait for that to be fixed before I can continue testing (fix should be posted later today hopefully).

Do you have a list of the free space addresses this patch uses (TWUE 1.96 + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons + Music Player)? Possibly the easiest, and most thorough, compatibility test would be just comparing that list to the list Insidious611 uses (it's apparently a very small list), since you both use an unheadered v1.0 US ROM.

Thanks. Too be honest, I've not looked recently into the free space available. I do know that long list of bug fixes and things applied to this patch have their documentation for the most part though, if that helps.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2017, 09:54:29 pm »
A quick search (google is everyone's friend) found me the tool IPS Peek.

IPS patch offset lists:
Current (2017-10-9 beta version) Dancing Mad IPS patch: https://pastebin.com/X1ZY0tPi
TWUE 1.96 + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons IPS: https://pastebin.com/bZLXLzEw
TWUE - Music Player Main Menu IPS: https://pastebin.com/FWzbrJ88

I'm pretty sure 100% compatibility is verified.

I'm about to start working on the audio for the Opera scenes MSU audio. I'll have plenty of chances to compare the two versions of the opera scene while I do it.  ;)

*edit- And now that I've done it manually, I find this by accident: Patch Checker Which is specifically designed to check patch compatibility... Again verified 100% compatible.

*edit2- BUG REPORT: "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons"(no MSU patch, just that one) - During the ending scene, specifically Relm's part, her last line (STRAGO: RELM! How can toy be thinking about pictures at a time like this?) requires you to hit a button, rather than progressing automatically. If you wait too long to hit the button, the timing gets messed up enough that the game goes to a black screen, and stays there.

Verified the bug is still present in the "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96)" basic patch, so it's not caused by the bugfixes, addons, or music player.

(Is the delay in posting for a moderator to approve my posts a permanent thing, or is that going to stop after I hit enough posts?)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:30:51 am by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:10 pm »
A quick search (google is everyone's friend) found me the tool IPS Peek.

IPS patch offset lists:
Current (2017-10-9 beta version) Dancing Mad IPS patch: https://pastebin.com/X1ZY0tPi
TWUE 1.96 + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons IPS: https://pastebin.com/bZLXLzEw
TWUE - Music Player Main Menu IPS: https://pastebin.com/FWzbrJ88

I'm pretty sure 100% compatibility is verified.

I'm about to start working on the audio for the Opera scenes MSU audio. I'll have plenty of chances to compare the two versions of the opera scene while I do it.  ;)

*edit- And now that I've done it manually, I find this by accident: Patch Checker Which is specifically designed to check patch compatibility... Again verified 100% compatible.

*edit2- BUG REPORT: "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons"(no MSU patch, just that one) - During the ending scene, specifically Relm's part, her last line (STRAGO: RELM! How can toy be thinking about pictures at a time like this?) requires you to hit a button, rather than progressing automatically. If you wait too long to hit the button, the timing gets messed up enough that the game goes to a black screen, and stays there.

Verified the bug is still present in the "Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.96)" basic patch, so it's not caused by the bugfixes, addons, or music player.

(Is the delay in posting for a moderator to approve my posts a permanent thing, or is that going to stop after I hit enough posts?)

That's good to know about the MSU-1 patch! Thank you!

Wow, I was not aware of the bug in the timing. I will have to fix that for the next release. I'm currently working on fixing a bug in Namingway Edition and then I'll get to TWUE.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Yea, I was checking the timing for the OST version of the ending, because things were out of sync, with your patch installed, and noticed the problem, did a number of checks afterwards with differently patched roms to track down which one was causing the problem (needed to add some silence to the beginning of the track, and fade-out/fade-in to eliminate the cross-fade into part 2 of the ending, and add some more silence between the 2 parts. timing's perfect now).

The point at which the lockup causes the unending black screen seems to be if you don't hit the button to advance the text until after the next section's music (I think it was shadow's) ends.

The only way to keep things in sync is to be ready to hit the button to advance the text in Relm's ending as soon as it pops up. (with or without the MSU-1 audio playing, the effect is the same).

October 18, 2017, 02:44:30 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry for the double-post, but I felt my last post too old for just editing this in.

The Music Player patch is compatible with the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod... Mostly... With some glitching...

With the Music Player patch and the Dancing Mad MSU-1 patch both applied, there is some slight audio glitching when entering/exiting the menu screen (usually just a momentary muting of the sound).

In at least one location, the Returner's Hideout, after Banon joins your party, and you are supposed to get on the raft, if you return to the hideout, exiting the menu screen will mute the music until you change rooms, and the wrong track will play on the screen just outside the Returner's Hideout (not the world map, the screen just outside the cave). This only happens with both patches applied, either one individually is fine.

This is likely not something that can be fixed without the code for the music player patch, since it's not a case of both patches using the same block of data, and frankly is minor enough to not be worth the time to fix (as compatibility is a nice bonus the patch author didn't even consider until I started testing, though I've seen him use the TWUE patch and music player on at least one of his demo videos since then, lol).

My advice: Use just the TWUE + MSU patches (patch with MSU then patch TWUE). If you want to use the music player to listen to the MSU-1 music tracks at some point, copy your rom file, apply the music player patch, use the player to listen to the music, then revert to the patch without the music player to continue playing the game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:51:40 am by edale »

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:03 pm »
I'm really enjoying this hack so far - it really is shaping up to be my favourite version of FF6. Just one minor bug I spotted:

As you should be able to see, the spacing on the capital I is a bit off (by a pixel, I think), causing it to blend into the n. Other than that it's superb so far.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • Return of the Dark Sorcerer
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »
Ah yes, the ending songs are timed out alongside the event code & dialog to play perfectly in sync, or else your gonna have a bad time.
The end comes...beyond darkness.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:42 pm »
As you should be able to see, the spacing on the capital I is a bit off (by a pixel, I think), causing it to blend into the n. Other than that it's superb so far.
I believe the patch removes 1 pixel of space between all letters to give it the space to fit longer names and descriptions on-screen. Not a bug, a 'feature'.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:10:50 pm by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:09 pm »
Some letters it might make sense for me to add that single pixel like the letter "I" or the lowercase "m" and "n" but I hope that doesn't create a spacing issue in the text. I do have to work on another update and should be able to get one up soon.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »
Is there anywhere that documents all the monster name changes? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out Gau's rages with the renames. (And there must be something in the patch that changes the save data for rages, because a srm editor for FFVI I found can't seem to actually effect the rages Gau has learned... and shows him having a lot of rages from a lor further in the game than I am or have...)

Short term though, What's the new name of "Marshal" (the boss from the first strategy section where Locke works with the Moogles)?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:05:03 pm by edale »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:00 pm »
Is there anywhere that documents all the monster name changes? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out Gau's rages with the renames.

The item, monster, and spell names are the current names used by Square in all versions of Final Fantasy VI (GBA, Mobile, and Steam). Obviously I had to shorten some of them because of space. Here's the list from Gamefaqs:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/930370-final-fantasy-vi-advance/faqs/46956

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 18, 2017, 10:06:19 pm »
The item, monster, and spell names are the current names used by Square in all versions of Final Fantasy VI (GBA, Mobile, and Steam). Obviously I had to shorten some of them because of space. Here's the list from Gamefaqs:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/930370-final-fantasy-vi-advance/faqs/46956
So Marshal is "Guard Leader" in this?

Also:

Just found a HUGE time-saver for learning rages: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1371/ (patch is for a headered ROM), gets rid of leap entirely, if Gau is in the party when you win the battle, and he can learn a new rage from one of the monsters, he does. Apparently also works outside of the velt, though I'm still in the velt atm (Until I get that damned Marshal...) so can't verify that part.

100% compatible with both this patch and Dancing Mad.

Patch is for a headered ROM, so I converted it to a patch for a headerless ROM (so I could check compatibility mostly), here's a copy of the IPS for a headerless ROM if anyone wants it: https://mega.nz/#!fURymCqT!gHKfSeALgk8KvEewwAeGypb7tX5cxKPQVoBDb-DpYFE

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
Some letters it might make sense for me to add that single pixel like the letter "I" or the lowercase "m" and "n" but I hope that doesn't create a spacing issue in the text. I do have to work on another update and should be able to get one up soon.
It's only the I that has the problem. It looks like if you were to add one more pixel of space then it would be consistent with the other characters.