News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.96)  (Read 68818 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2014, 12:45:45 am »
I tested the battle backgrounds more than once. They were ripped right from the Japanese ROM. Version 1.4 and 1.4a had bugs caused by it that made Cyan's dream soft lock. It was fixed in version 1.4b. Lord J's original hack caused a bug in the monster sprites.

I know Woolsey had his liberties, but there were times I think it worked a little better. In fact, Square themselves prefer Woolsey's Kefka over the way he was in the original Japanese. The opening line I modified to keep the original line but add to it.

Here's the final battle and the most famous Woolseyism!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:13 am »
I have to say, I'm very impressed with this. Is there any chance that you'd be willing to release the info on how you managed to revert Kefka's tiers, and how one would go about putting in the original Mute symbol? Or are you going to leave that info undisclosed to promote your hack? Understandable, if that's the case. :)
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)
I'm not a translator; I don't know any language other than English.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:06 am »
I know Woolsey had his liberties, but there were times I think it worked a little better. In fact, Square themselves prefer Woolsey's Kefka over the way he was in the original Japanese.

Not disagreeing, but just curious. Where did you hear that Square preferred Woolsey's Kefka?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »
I have to say, I'm very impressed with this. Is there any chance that you'd be willing to release the info on how you managed to revert Kefka's tiers, and how one would go about putting in the original Mute symbol? Or are you going to leave that info undisclosed to promote your hack? Understandable, if that's the case. :)

It's no secret that I didn't copy the battle tiers myself, but Dr Meat on the ff6hacking.com boards was able to do so with his own project, which I play tested. From what I understand that he did, he copied directly from the Japanese ROM, but the pointer table was in a different place than the US rom. Once located he copied it directly, which he accidently copied a line too much screwing up Cyan's dream. After realizing he did that, he put the right amount of data in, we play tested and everything ran smooth. I got a little anxious to release it and that was my version 1.4 and 1.4a. I gave him credit on my hack because it was a major accomplishment. I still have the patch that is JUST for the final battle.

As for the MUTE button, the graphic is not compressed, but it is in about 5 pieces. If you are using a headered ROM, then in YY-CHR the offset is 130500. Without a header, seeing the word MUTE is much easier, but it is still in a lot of pieces. You could redraw it, but you'll need to test to make sure it lines up properly.

Not disagreeing, but just curious. Where did you hear that Square preferred Woolsey's Kefka?

Read that on the GameFAQs board at the end of this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930370-final-fantasy-vi-advance/58151714

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 08:25:18 am »
Read that on the GameFAQs board at the end of this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930370-final-fantasy-vi-advance/58151714

Thanks for the follow-up! I wouldn't take what some-guy-on-GameFAQs said as the word of god, though. Especially because that's suggesting that the English translation was RE-translated into Japanese for the directors so that they could remark on their opinion of it. Of course, Hideo Kojima has been very vocal on his opinion of early localizations of Metal Gear games (particularly the god-hating Snake's Revenge), but otherwise it's rare to get that kind of feedback.

I'll take a look into it on my own, though! It's something I've always been interested in. Been watching American cartoons dubbed in Japanese lately. =p Pretty fascinating.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »
I agree. But its notable that Square did take Kefka's US likeness for their basis for Dissidia. It's interesting to see American cartoons dubbed in Japanese, especially G1 Transformers....

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »
It's no secret that I didn't copy the battle tiers myself, but Dr Meat on the ff6hacking.com boards was able to do so with his own project, which I play tested. From what I understand that he did, he copied directly from the Japanese ROM, but the pointer table was in a different place than the US rom. Once located he copied it directly, which he accidently copied a line too much screwing up Cyan's dream. After realizing he did that, he put the right amount of data in, we play tested and everything ran smooth. I got a little anxious to release it and that was my version 1.4 and 1.4a. I gave him credit on my hack because it was a major accomplishment. I still have the patch that is JUST for the final battle.
Would you be able to teach me how to import the original tiers? Also, what about the Cafe sign in the Zozo battle backdrop? You reverted all the Cafe signs, right? I'm doing a small hack that's more or less porting the PSone port to the SNES game, while cleaning up some typos and making some of the text more coherent... I know that it's pretty easy to replace the Cafe signs, but the one in Zozo's battle backdrop is compressed.

As for the MUTE button, the graphic is not compressed, but it is in about 5 pieces. If you are using a headered ROM, then in YY-CHR the offset is 130500. Without a header, seeing the word MUTE is much easier, but it is still in a lot of pieces. You could redraw it, but you'll need to test to make sure it lines up properly.
I managed to more or less replace the original Silence symbol. It has a few problems, but I managed to do it.

Here's the differences between the two symbols. Left is original, right is in my mod. Edit - I've since updated it. You can see how it used to be in Almagest's quote. :)

I'm going to keep it as is. My nephew is watching me type this up (He can't read!) and he wants me to post the cookie smiley. So here: :cookie:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:47:53 am by vivify93 »
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »
Sorry to go offtopic here, but why port the PSX version to the SNES? All it added(I am not counting the porting difficulties such as the occasionally inaccurate sound and the slowdowns of JESUS CHRIST) was a music player, a bestiary and a little bit of uncensoring.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Almagest

• アルマゲスト
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »
@Rodimus: Those final battle pics look great. Is this the final version of your hack, or are there any issues left to be fixed?

Also, what about the Cafe sign in the Zozo battle backdrop? You reverted all the Cafe signs, right? I'm doing a small hack that's more or less porting the PSone port to the SNES game, while cleaning up some typos and making some of the text more coherent... I know that it's pretty easy to replace the Cafe signs, but the one in Zozo's battle backdrop is compressed.
You don't have to uncompress anything to fix that. Just paste all the original signs over the Cafe signs, and it'll be uncensored in battle too. The game loads the same Pub sign from the field. ;)

I managed to more or less replace the original Silence symbol. It has a few problems, but I managed to do it.

Left is original, right is in my mod.
Here's the differences between the two symbols. I'm going to keep it as is.
It looks good. I did this before too, and I don't know where are the other 4 missing borders. It's like they were deleted.

About the guy from Gamefaqs, I read somewhere that Sakaguchi disliked Woolsey's translation, but then again, I don't know if it's true. There's a lot of misinformation in the internet, and I wouldn't trust them unless there's a credible source.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:33:16 pm by Almagest »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »
Sorry to go offtopic here, but why port the PSX version to the SNES? All it added(I am not counting the porting difficulties such as the occasionally inaccurate sound and the slowdowns of JESUS CHRIST) was a music player, a bestiary and a little bit of uncensoring.
Well, there were a few textual changes made, and I like the uncensored graphics, so that's basically why I'm doing this. It'll be a cleaned up Ted Woolsey translation with some changes the PSone port made and uncensored / reverted graphics. I also want this to be a base for other patches, so people won't have to look for stuff like all the uncensored graphics and such with major changes. If I've changed anything from the original US game, it's only for completionist issues or user-friendly changes.

Edit - But I'm gonna stop hijacking Rodimus Primal's topic here. I've since done everything I thought would be even moderately difficult. All I really need is the top two tiers! :)

You don't have to uncompress anything to fix that. Just paste all the original signs over the Cafe signs, and it'll be uncensored in battle too. The game loads the same Pub sign from the field. ;)
Oh! Awesome! Thank you so much, Almagest!

Edit - Thought I'd mention it here, but everyone I saw on previous attempts of this claimed uncensoring the Pub signs was like some Sisyphean effort, so that's why I felt such trepidation... But it was actually really easy. Haha.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Rodimus Primal. Thanks again for all your hard work on your patch!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:35:58 pm by vivify93 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
As it is, unless anyone runs into any other issues, my hack is complete. I don't think there is anything left to do with the game as it stands. I hope everyone who loves this game gets a chance to try it out.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
I like this very much, actually... it's evocative of what I loved about FFVI but the translations and graphics help tremendously.

Are there similar hack compilations for FFIV and FFV?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:25 am »
There's Project II, Digitsie. I rewrote the script, updated many game-play elements, etc.:) And Spooniest's FFV: Legend of the Crystals does a good job at updating RPGe's translation of FFV.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2014, 04:09:33 pm »
Those were what I picked out after some deliberation over a few hours, actually, for IV and V. Though I kinda feel like spooniest's could have added a bit more from what I saw.

Now to root out similar compilations for I - III. :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2014, 01:32:48 am »
So I'm kicking around a new version to update and I'm going back and forth on whether or not to release it or not. You see, my vision was to create the experience of the original, bugs and all, but uncut, only fixing what was really necessary to fix or change, and fixing the issues that were present in Woolsey's translation. I did that with 1.5.

I have made a 1.6 that incorporates these changes:

-Elemental Display (Lenophis)
   -Border Crossing (Imzogelmo, Lenophis, Novalia Spirit)
   -Homesick Gau (Djibriel)
   -255 hours Display (Leviathan Mist)
   -For What Ails Ya! (Lenophis)
   -Bad Decoration (Lenophis)
   -I condemn thee to hell! (Lenophis)
   -Suplex wrongfully splits damage fix (assassin17)
   -Allo Ver (Death Warden) fix (using FFUSME)
   -Step Mine (Traveler) missing digit fix (assassin17)
   -Some MP changes don't update menus fix (assassin17)
   -Pink Gogo bugfix (Imzogelmo)
   -Reflect barrier shown on bodyguards fix (assassin17)
   -Running Popsicle / Lead-footed Esper fix (assassin17)
   -Mine Cart Fix (Imzogelmo)
   -Deceptive Tapir (assassin17)
   -SrBehemoth Fix (Dragonsbrethren, used instructions instead of patch)

Now the question is, would it be worth upgrading to, or should I leave the game as is? Of course, I'm asking all of you for my love of Final Fantasy VI.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2014, 10:03:27 am »
Hell yes.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 02:22:16 pm »
Offer both in the same .zip and include details in the readme. Let the end user decide if they want the uncensored version + fixes or just the uncensored version. Make it optional.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »
I thought about that. But I did a little tweaking to the item descriptions a bit. I think I'm going for a Christmas release of 1.6 that will incorporate these bug fixes as an option. The one's I chose to do though don't really compromise the game, but instead fix things that should be fixed.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2014, 10:51:13 am »
Could you give a small description on what those patches above are suppose to fix/do? Their names alone don't give you any idea on what they are changing, I'd like to know as I'm sure others would too to figure out if they want the "pure" patch or the "bug fix" patch.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »
The changes are in the readme file included with the zip folder. Both versions have updated item descriptions and Raiden now gives Speed +2 so he is no longer a downgrade. The patch that says Bug fixes include these changes:

* -Elemental Display (Lenophis)
   * -Border Crossing (Imzogelmo, Lenophis, Novalia Spirit)
   * -Homesick Gau (Djibriel)
   * -255 hours Display (Leviathan Mist)
   * -For What Ails Ya! (Lenophis)
   * -Bad Decoration (Lenophis)
   * -I condemn thee to hell! (Lenophis)
   * -Suplex wrongfully splits damage fix (assassin17)
   * -Allo Ver (Death Warden) fix (using FFUSME)
   * -Step Mine (Traveler) missing digit fix (assassin17)
   * -Some MP changes don't update menus fix (assassin17)
   * -Pink Gogo bugfix (Imzogelmo)
   * -Reflect barrier shown on bodyguards fix (assassin17)
   * -Running Popsicle / Lead-footed Esper fix (assassin17)
   * -Mine Cart Fix (Imzogelmo)
   * -Deceptive Tapir (assassin17)
   * -SrBehemoth Fix (Dragonsbrethren, used instructions instead of patch)

- * Ramuh teaches Thundara +3, Ifrit teaches Drain +3