News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.01)  (Read 138281 times)

edale

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.97a)
« Reply #500 on: November 02, 2017, 02:19:19 am »
You updated the name of the readme, but you didn't actually add the changes made to 1.97a in the readme's contents.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 02, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
You updated the name of the readme, but you didn't actually add the changes made to 1.97a in the readme's contents.

Yeah I overlooked that. The fix was also made for version 1.94 too.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 31, 2017, 08:56:59 pm »
@Rodimus Primal Do you have the ASM files for the TWUE mod to Madsiur's Music Player patch? If so, could I get a link to them please? I'm trying to get Madsiur to make a mod of it that will play nicely with the MSU mod when exiting the menu screen, and he doesn't think he still has those files.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
@Rodimus Primal Do you have the ASM files for the TWUE mod to Madsiur's Music Player patch? If so, could I get a link to them please? I'm trying to get Madsiur to make a mod of it that will play nicely with the MSU mod when exiting the menu screen, and he doesn't think he still has those files.

I'm looking through all of my files and here's what I have. When he initially made it for Version 1.90, the info file states:

Config 1:
---------
$C3F1E0-$C3F51F      Music Player code
$C3F520-$C3FB27      Song names

Config 2:
---------
$C3F1E0-$C3F559      Music Player code
$C3F55A-$C3FB61      Song names

Now the song names were moved to another place in the ROM in later revisions. The ASM file, to my understanding is the same otherwise for the standard Music Player, as far as actual coding is concerned. He also said to me awhile back that the ASM for the sound resume is the same. I'll PM you what I have. 

edale

• View Profile
I just ran patchchecker on your 1.97a patch vs the music player patch in your patch.

There's a conflict:

https://pastebin.com/uZP4VRpZ

I'm not sure how important this bit of code is to either patch.

*edit- It seems (though I'm not 100% sure) that the conflict is in one of the addons, as the conflict is only present in versions of your 1.97a patch with the addons.

Your readme lists Blitz name display and Coliseum Rewards display as the only changes in the addons.

I'm assuming http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3312/ and http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3301/ are the 2 mods in the add-ons. Both show as 100% compatible with both 'Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97a) + Bug Fixes & Updated Opera.ips' (so changes to them wouldn't be needed, like with the music player) and the music player. So unless the add-ons has another change, I don't know where this conflict is coming from. It's only in the IPSs with addons, but none of the addons seem to be the cause...

*edit2 - want some fun graphical effects? Apply 'Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97a) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons', then apply the music player patch, then load the ROM and look at the music player menu, about 1/5th of it is gibberish.

January 02, 2018, 09:17:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Word from Madsiur:
Well the music player code end around $C3F500-$C3F550. If you can find $680 free bytes for the song names only elsewhere in the ROM, agree with Rodimus Primal or w/e or even expand the ROM, this would solve the problem.
The music player code absolutely need to be from $C3F1E0 to $C3F550 but song name can be anywhere else, but in 1 single block.
For the free space, here is what is possible without expanding the ROM. You need around 1660 bytes ($680). The third option is expanding the ROM.

00D613 00DF9F [2445 Bytes] Unused Space
14F606 14FFFF [2554 Bytes] Unused Space
Do you know if there's a chunk of around $680 free in those listed spaces in TWUE 1.97a? I know TWUE already expands the ROM, but I think it'd be best to keep the music player patch in the bounds of an un-expanded ROM if possible.

*edit- some checking into 'Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 1.97a) + Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons' with IPS-Peek tells me that nothing in TWUE touches that bank of unused space at 14F606 through 14FFFF (and neither does the MSU patch).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:23:54 am by edale »

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
The biggest music player implementation (with extra songs) take from $C3F1E0 to $C3FBB6 (which is a bit smaller on regular TWUE). One of the thing that can be done is moving the song names alone somewhere else. There are only two possible places for this since it requires about $680 bytes:

Code: [Select]
C0D613 C0DF9F [0x098D Bytes]
D4F606 D4FFFF [0x09FA Bytes]

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Dang it. Must have messed something up making that patch. Knowing this, it can be fixed easily enough. Simply take TWUE with update opera and bug fixes and add those two patches, then the Music Player. I'm going to make a patch with that fixed soon!

Edit- Okay so I did a little bit of testing around, JUST to be sure. Here's what I've discovered. It's the Main Menu Music Player patch causing the problem. If I remember correctly, Madsuir moved the code slightly for Config 1 and 2 so that it doesn't overlap. So, as it stands right now, the Main Menu patch is not compatible with any patch with Bugfixes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:35:09 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.96)
« Reply #507 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:07 pm »
Thanks Chronosplit, It would be nice to have a guide explaining what these patches do and where we can find them, because I do feel vanilla TWUE is a little too conservative with bugfixes for my tastes.
Sorry about being late, but since this was brought up and I missed it the first time around I sould probably mention that almost all of those patches in the "greatest hits" list should be available on RHDN.  I'm thinking the exceptions are the Vanish/Doom, Cyan, and Rage things, which you can find with a quick google (and also just happen to be the things you may not want).  Outside of that, you'll find the remaining ones in assassin17's site if there are any missing, because Sketcher's are all here.

Another boon of the short list is that it's significantly easier to track down and download everything. :P
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:10:05 pm by Chronosplit »

edale

• View Profile
The biggest music player implementation (with extra songs)
If anyone's wondering, the "with extra songs" is a reference to the fact that FFVI only goes up to track $54 (84), and some changes to the music coding for the Dancing Mad MSU mod has parts of Dancing Mad (the song) on tracks $65-$67 (101-103), so the chunk of the code had to be made longer to account for the extra track IDs (ones had to be added for every track number 85-103, rather than just the ones for 101-103).

Also I made a mod (my first!) that installs on top of the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod, which reintroduces the songs from the FFVI Special Tracks album that were written for FFVI, but cut from the final game. Those tracks are at $5A-$5D (90-93), and Madsiur is making me a copy of the Music Player patch that includes those songs, on top of the version for just the MSU patch I mentioned in an earlier post.

I had asked Madsiur to make the MSU-1 music player's patch based off of this version, so it'd work on a copy of the ROM with TWUE, Dancing Mad, and optionally my mod all applied. And I try to be very thorough in my testing as possible, which is how I found these compatibility issues.

In case anyone's curious:
Dancing Mad MSU mod: https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases
Cut Songs Restoration Mod (my patch): https://mega.nz/#F!PJZg1IRb!kS3ECIgKhAkc-qHWkVGRAg

My mod's probably going to be rolled into the Dancing Mad installer as an optional component at some point (along with both versions of the music player patch that Madsiur is making for me), so I'm not planning to actually release it as its own patch on here atm.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.98)
« Reply #509 on: January 05, 2018, 04:03:09 pm »
Okay. Version 1.98 has been submitted. Madsuir made three updated versions of the Music Player that move the song data to a better and unused portion of free space. Maybe this will help making it compatible with other bugfix patches that TWUE does not use. The new Main Menu patch (TWUE Main Menu A)can ONLY be used on a version of TWUE with bugfixes. As such, I am including the older Main Menu patch (now labeled Main Menu B) that can be used on versions of TWUE without bufixes.

The reason for this, as we found out, is caused by the in game clock. The Bugfixes versions of TWUE include the 255 game clock patch and the Main Menu Music player caused the issue. Personally, I use Config 2 on my personal version when playing FFVI.

Edit - Version 1.98 is Live!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:16:31 am by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
Just checked things out with the latest version since I got patch checker running again.  Everything in the small list and the Minimaps Update patch is a go, the only thing that collides is the checksum.  I'll go back to my small list and add it in.

Dispo96

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2018, 04:29:47 am »
Hey hey. :)  I have never ever played FF VI and now I'm deciding to take it by the horns.

Curious, what's the difference between yours and this one here? https://www.romhacking.net/translations/697/

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »
I'm not affiliated with this project, but Sky Render's fan translation is dry, boring, and overly-literal--and somehow it manages to still flub some nuances. It's not good, man.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2018, 05:22:16 pm »
The linked project is a translation of the Japanese version.  It's very literal on purpose (at least I think so), and opinions aside more than anything it's meant for someone to not play on their first playthrough of the game.  It's kind of a "what did we miss" sort of thing to those who've played the unaltered SNES version.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:02 pm »
Hey hey. :)  I have never ever played FF VI and now I'm deciding to take it by the horns.

Curious, what's the difference between yours and this one here? https://www.romhacking.net/translations/697/

There's a LOT actually different. The old RPGONE translation was known to be VERY literal and is based off the Japanese ROM. As such, it calls Espers "Phantom Beasts" and uses the original Japanese names like Tina and Mash instead of Terra and Sabin. To my understanding, the actual re-translation was done by Sky Render, who himself said that his wasn't very good. It also uses a TERRIBLE looking text font that hurts my eyes.

An old translation that never was made into the actual game was made by someone named Lina Darkstar on the IcyBrian forums. It was an excellent comparison to the RPGONE version. After 43 pages of forum posts to read, I copied them onto a text document for comparison. 

Since then, the GBA version was released and some disliked the lines that were changed just to change them (such as "Son of a sandworm" instead of "Son of a Submariner.") Also, without the color and music patches, the GBA version looks terrible. The screen resolution is smaller forcing certain parts of the screen to look different. Again, I'm not a fan of the font either. There is also a torture scene that was cut from this version as well.

I set out to make the best of both worlds using the original SNES Final Fantasy III translation as a base. I went line for line comparing the original SNES Woolsey Translation against the RPGONE, Lina Darkstar's notes, AND the GBA translations. Back when the game originally came out, the game was censored for language, partial nudity, and religious tones. I uncensored the graphics and restored lines as they should be. Since this uses the SNES version as a base, the torture scene was left intact.

Then I went on to either restore content, or fix persistent bugs from the original game. Some of these came from patches from the community, and some I modified it after the fact. This included expanding and modernizing the spell, monster, and item names, adding full length item descriptions, and restoring classes to the characters. You'll notice that Sabin is a Monk, and Shadow is a Ninja. Since this is based on the US Final Fantasy III, I added the restored Final Fantasy VI title screen, AND the B Button Dash.

So, with that all said, if you download this, you're probably going to wonder WHAT version you should play right? My recommendation is play Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition as your first playthrough of this game. Use the patch that says TWUE with Bugfixes, Add-Ons, and Updated Opera.

If you're wondering about the Updated Opera, I chose to release this with the option for people to use the OLD translation for that section of the game as its a preference thing. Square currently uses the updated lyrics in their live performances as they BETTER match the actual melody of the song.

Dispo96

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:09 pm »
I appreciate all your information and feedback, you seem like a really open and honest person.  Usually a person would take offense to me asking something like that.  I'll try the version you recommend.  So I need FF III USA to patch it properly?

Edit : So I got it all up and running, when I load it in RetroArch however, the opening sceens work fine, the chat ect.   When I get to the first battle the screen turns in to like if you put a dirty SNES game in the console and turned it on, it's all blurred and you can't see anything properly.  What would cause this?

I'm using  bsnes-Mercury Accuracy in RetroArch

Edit : Got it to work, I edited a 1.1 version and not a 1.1... Why does that matter and why did you edit 1.0 vs 1.1?  what's the difference really?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:03:23 am by Dispo96 »

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:06 am »
The old RPGONE translation was known to be VERY literal and is based off the Japanese ROM. As such, it calls Espers "Phantom Beasts" and uses the original Japanese names like Tina and Mash instead of Terra and Sabin.
Too bad, Phantom Beast is much more meaningful then Esper. BTW if Japanese names are Tina and Mash, why they are still called Terra and Sabin?

... and restoring classes to the characters. You'll notice that Sabin is a Monk, and Shadow is a Ninja.
What do you mean by classes? and restoring them?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:14 am »
Names of main characters are usually carried over in official re-translations for the sake of people replaying them, that may be why they're the same in there.  The only exception to this I've ever seen is Final Fantasy Tactics due to the new style.

EDIT:
Edit : Got it to work, I edited a 1.1 version and not a 1.1... Why does that matter and why did you edit 1.0 vs 1.1?  what's the difference really?
Main reason is because there's a better fix for the sketch bug available for 1.0 than 1.1 tried to do.  There might be other reasons Rodimus did.

1.0 and 1.1 are different releases, of which there is different data in other places.  The main noticeable difference between the two is Square's first attempt at fixing sketch though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:48:15 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:03 pm »
Too bad, Phantom Beast is much more meaningful then Esper. BTW if Japanese names are Tina and Mash, why they are still called Terra and Sabin?
What do you mean by classes? and restoring them?

In the main menu, the character's class was present in the Japanese version, but was removed from the US for whatever reason. It is restored in Woolsey Uncensored.

I chose to use Square's current naming for just about everything from current versions of FFVI. That's why I kept Terra, Sabin, Esper, and Kefka.

I think Chronosplit answered what is different about 1.0 and 1.1. However, it is also because the ROM hacking community uses 1.0 as the base ROM for everything. Other hacks that were used in TWUE are made FOR 1.0. That's why it makes a difference what version you patch on.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 09, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
Ah, I see.  So it's sort of like with Pokemon Fire Red, in which everything is made for 1.0 FR and nothing else.  I wasn't completely sure as I've seen bugfix patches made for 1.1.

In that specific case developers of tools do it that way to make things less confusing, and because there's so much different between different versions.  There's little reason to make support for LeafGreen or FR 1.1 in that case, when you can port back the bug fixes that were in 1.1 and re-introduce the Pokemon found in LG (you can port over LeafGreen's title screen if you wanted to put in the effort).