News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.97a)  (Read 76912 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woosley Uncensored Edition
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »
I believe that line is when Edgar hits on Relm after she says "Are you coming lover boy?" to which Edgar replies, "How Old are you?" Relm says 10 and Edgar replies in the US "You've grown up entirely too fast! Lighten up okay?" I inserted the RPGeOne line "That's criminal...don't even think of it!"

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:53 am »
As a matter of fact, it is not, at least, that's not the impression I got.

The text for the line is actually the last caption that FF3usME has. It's at the very bottom of the list.

Here's an example from a script dump (using FF3usME) of Woolsey to show you what I mean. A7 = Strago, and A8 = Relm.

Quote from: Woolsey
[caption #3077]

<A7>: No_NO!!!!
A [kid] like me doesn't know the meaning of defeat! <E$0A><OP$12>

[caption #3078]

<A7>: Gotcha!! <E$08><OP$12>

[caption #3079]

<A8>: I won't be done in by an older woman! <E$08><OP$12>

[caption #3080]

<A8>: Wait a minute,
lover boy! <E$08><OP$12>

[caption #3081]

<A8>: You can't just throw me aside! <E$08><OP$12>

[caption #3082]

<A8>: How about a nice portrait for you, hmm?! <E$08><OP$12>

And aside from that, what I really want to say is, it might be worth considering that the editor of the original game knew what he was doing in some cases.

Edit: Or, without wanting to be a jerk, I have to say that I'd leave it on the cutting room floor. It's kind of chintzy, and it does nothing for the story.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:48:43 am by Spooniest »

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 01:29:17 am »
It’s an easily misinterpretable line, especially if you aren’t seeing it in context. (video; ending spoiler). For the benefit of people who can’t be bothered with a video, or if the video’s been removed, or just because someone curious may find this discussion via Google,

Spoiler:
Celes, Edgar, and Setzer ditch her on a conveyor belt; she uses each line on each one respectively. It’s supposed to be a threat; sure enough, they come back for her, with that “shocked” expression. She uses a similar threat on Strago for the alternate version of that scene, if you did end up finding him.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 01:32:44 am »
Damn you completionist gamer that was me!

I never knew that, because I usually found everyone.

I had assumed it was dialogue that they took out of the final airship scene, where Relm sneaks up while Celes is walking away from the "binaca-using" Edgar.

On the basis of this new knowledge, I withdraw my suggestion. I guess if it's in the game, it wasn't cut.

There are many lines, though, that were taken out, and in fact it seems like whole scenes. Cid has a line of dialogue that explains the development of Magitek power, but a scene for this dialogue does not appear in the game at all.

Also, Terra has exposition lines in the lead up to Sabin and Vargas' duel that were removed, and I feel like this is because they felt it made Terra too capable-looking, too "on top of things." She's completely devoid of memories and doesn't fully trust the people around her yet; she seems a lot more pensive if she doesn't speak about current events much.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:25:11 am by Spooniest »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 04:26:11 pm »
I know exactly what you mean in that line. In the Japanese text, Vargas even responds to it but in game Terra's line didn't make it in so it makes the text very confusing while playing through. Cid's line explaining Magitek power was also cut too.

There was a line that should have made it in was at the Returner's Hideout during the big meeting but was added back in on the FF6A. I added that line back in.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 05:15:51 pm »
Wow, I can't wait to play this! I have a small request. Would you please rename "TERRA" as "Terra", "SABIN" as "Sabin", and so on? I don't know if you already did this, it's just that I don't like these names in full caps. It's like Woolsey thought we were blind or something.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 01:33:09 am »
That's already been done. I went through the entire script as well to uncap EVERY SINGLE characters name. I corrected a few as well.

Just so you know, the hack has already been released and if any updates happen they do so here on this site.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »
That's already been done. I went through the entire script as well to uncap EVERY SINGLE characters name. I corrected a few as well.

Just so you know, the hack has already been released and if any updates happen they do so here on this site.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
Wow, amazing! You know, I tried to retranslate this game once, but I gave up, because I didn't know a thing about ASM and the pointer stuff (besides, I was doing everything alone). I also tried to restore the graphics of the final boss, but the graphics are compressed. I could restore only the 2nd tier (the one with a tiger). Whenever I tried to restore the 3rd tier and recompress it, the smc got corrupted. IIRC, Lord J made a patch that could restore those graphics, but it's buggy. Another thing I tried to do was to restore the Silence spell animation, but some parts were missing. I still have them here with me, I hope it will be of any use to you.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00:08 pm »
The Kefka final battle is the only thing in my hack not changed. I tried using Lord J's hack for it as well initially when I started this project, but was very buggy. I was able to change everything else.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 01:16:49 am »
I'm working on another revision that should fix some spelling errors found. If there's any script errors anyone finds, please let me know.

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 06:32:00 am »
Very interesting hack. Something I've been looking for. This could shape up to be the best version of FF6.

I think you should use a no-intro rom. It is a much more modern standard the GoodTools. No-intro is pretty much the rom standard at this point.

How difficult would it be change the hack to use no-intro? Is it too late?

Edit: I asked on another board. And they answered how to convert it it to a headerless romhack:
http://pastebin.com/1yL9XWeB
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:11:58 pm by TimeCop »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:16 pm »
You can always remove the header afterwards. The tools I used required it to be with a header at first but when I do my next release I probably will do so.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 11:53:04 pm »
Okay guys, I've released my latest update, Version 1.3! I know its been a while. I had found some script errors and got some feedback from a couple people. Also the ROM no longer needs a header. This will make patching it much easier!

I strongly recommend anyone who as downloaded and played my hack to use the current version.

CloudAK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:22 am »
i posted this in the thread @ ff6hacking.com, so if u read that already then its the same reply. im not sure where u are most active on, and theres more people here so i thought i'd add here as well:

I know this is over a year old and is pretty much done already, but after playin the beginning there are some things i could critique. And i had a question

Firstly, this is currently my most interesting version to replay FFVI (which i havent in many years, dont even remember the entire story; i skimmed the thread to minimize spoilage), and im lookin forward to it; i kinda wish i was around a year ago when this was being made, so i could offer some suggestions that could maybe be considered. Maybe this will revive some discussion. It has also bothered me a bit.

I may ramble or end up being verbose but hopefully i can be beared with: The opening is good, mostly untouched; im certain Woolseys is superior to Slatterys and the JPN ver. (i would also venture to say that "rediscovered" is a more imaginative word, evoking more thought and feeling - even if its a sort of addendum to the story by Woolsey) - but when Biggs and Wedge enter at the cliff and the first bit of dialogue happens, there are things about Slattery's translation that are much, much better - and more specifically cinematic and theatric.

To elaborate:

Both characters act much more like the macho military of imperialism that we'd expect, and their behavior towards Terra is denigrating like military personnel would be to a POW or captured women - and how it would be portrayed for dramatic, or lifelike effect. Both the guys kinda pick up a more "jarhead" personality and dialogue, which is more in character and befits the mood of the scene.. instead of basically 2 dudes just pondering about a sorceress and Esper.

In the original Woolsey scene they are basically softened up; solemn or humble in a sense that we dont find them the least bit jarring.

They then invade a small town and run over a bunch of people in super armored tanks. It just doesnt mix and I'm not sure Woolsey wanted it that way either (remember in the JPN version Terra, a woman, is reffered to as that in the cliff scene - http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ff6/01intro.html).

Not that the viewer hates them in Slattery's, but there is more context there. Which suggests it possibly had the right amount of pitch.

Maybe even most important of all is the use of "witch", where 'witch' already has its negative connotations.. but is also used in a smug way or context that sounds much like "our bitch". This really sets a tone, and helps an audiences' ability to empathize better with the conflicts and events that happen right after.

I think that translated line is more dramatic and a stroke of genius, considerin he had to deal with a company that censored a minor scene with Celes on the very same version. Indeed, someone aware of the usage could even use some realistic rationale and allow some thoughts in on if the girl could have been sexually harassed, or worse.

In this case Slattery evoked more than the JPN version or Woolsey. And since the goal of this was to use a Woolsey base because he was more evocative, and a kind of best-of otherwise to help support it and its direction, i feel it should be kept. Especially for refining the intro, as the great FFs always had big, captivating entrances.

In the same vein, durin the Narshe invasion one of the guards calls your party "self-important swine" - which is no doubt an allusion to the phrase cops/police authority = pigs, and an example of Woolsey's own ingenious way of handling this type of stuff. They both got a point across to anyone paying attention, and got it to pass NoA - possibly without the fools in suits even realizing it.

At least for both lines im certain they give a rawer, gritty feeling - without being profane - and either should be kept, or fleshed out.

To end the point, Both of these bits of dialogue essentially represents FF and the FF's team at the time's anti-establishment and anti-military/imperialism stance that seems to permeate in all their work. When both authors try to capture this spirit at various points, it should be acknowledged.

If this is a common occurrence, then maybe its cause for the script to be looked at again, especially between Slattery and Woolsey and attention paid to this stuff. Overall, the cliff scene i feel should be reverted back to Slattery's, and then it would be a perfect update to the intro.

Whatever it is, this turned out even longer than i thought it would, so hopefully it helps. Little things like this could make a version of FFVI the truly definitive version to me, which just as your philosophy says - the games rushed/censored development is the only thing that prevents the original from being definitive.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »
I try to check both threads every now and then because I truly appreciate ANY feedback because l really want to make this the best version of the SNES original. Sorcerer was the original line used in the JPN and Woolsey version. However, this is a pretty interesting way at looking at the intro. I kind of got that same feeling when using either word, but witch DOES invoke a harsher tone that the soldiers probably feel about Terra.

I didn't change the machine-riding-swine line. In fact, I was tempted to. But as I'm reading over the intro again, and your notes, it's giving me a few ways to look at it. From what I've read about some people's feelings on Slattery is that he OVER elaborated sometimes. So if I'm going to alter what is already there, then I will attempt to keep it short in spirit of Woolsey.

I'm going to make these fixes along with a couple of lines that needed a little tweaking (like on the Phantom Train) in the next script update. I really appreciate the feedback as its the best way I can make sure this version of FFVI is the best it can be. I will check both threads as well.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 07:05:07 am »
I fiddled around with this patch earlier to see how many graphics were reverted, and I noticed that when you cast Silence, the graphic says "MUTE". Thought this might be worth pointing out...
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:04 am »
It is. Its something that I overlooked and thought about keeping as MUTE only because it's translated and not a censorship thing. But, I'd rather revert it completely. I've looked into the graphics using Tile Layer Pro and couldn't find it in the offsets. Any help fixing that for the next release would be greatly appreciated.

October 08, 2014, 09:51:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So the next update WILL say SILENCE on the graphic, just as the spell is. Also I need an opinion, if it is compatible I was thinking of adding assassin's Alphabetical Rage hack to the next release to give players an easier time if they choose to use Gau.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:51:58 pm by Rodimus Primal »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2014, 12:34:13 pm »
Yes please. I don't think that would take away anything from the patch, it would just add a convenience thing.

Also, question. In the first post you imply that you're using "Fire 2 and 3", but in one of your screenshots I see Firaga Blizzaga and Thundaga. Is the screenshot outdated?
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2014, 07:22:41 pm »
I initially was going the route of keeping the spell names and such the old naming, but I chose to use the GBA names for items, spells, monsters and the like. I think at this point most are used to the new names, which is what they were in Japanese to begin with. Even in Final Fantasy 1, Ice 2 and 3 are Blizzara and Blizzaga.

Also, now I've got a Silence icon I'm happy with to coincide with the spell no longer being Mute.

I'm going to test the Rage patch on my hack before the next release. I don't want it to cause any errors.

EDIT- Just tested it, and my finding is that it only half works. Most are alphabatized and some are still in there original positions. I think this might be caused by the fact that the monsters are named the GBA names. Well scratch that one.

October 11, 2014, 11:49:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So I've updated the patch to version 1.5! We now have the Silence Icon changed, and a couple of script tweaks that were needed. If there are no other issues, I may consider this hack complete!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:49:18 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:13 pm »
Hey Rodimus, have you tested all the battle backgrounds after uncensoring the final boss? They're not buggy like in Lord J's Final Boss Uncensored patch, are they?

CloudAK brought some interesting points FF6 fans often talk about. I've been playing the Japanese version these days, and I know some differences. :happy:

Both characters act much more like the macho military of imperialism that we'd expect, and their behavior towards Terra is denigrating like military personnel would be to a POW or captured women - and how it would be portrayed for dramatic, or lifelike effect. Both the guys kinda pick up a more "jarhead" personality and dialogue, which is more in character and befits the mood of the scene.. instead of basically 2 dudes just pondering about a sorceress and Esper.

In the original Woolsey scene they are basically softened up; solemn or humble in a sense that we dont find them the least bit jarring.

They then invade a small town and run over a bunch of people in super armored tanks. It just doesnt mix and I'm not sure Woolsey wanted it that way either (remember in the JPN version Terra, a woman, is reffered to as that in the cliff scene - http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ff6/01intro.html).

Not that the viewer hates them in Slattery's, but there is more context there. Which suggests it possibly had the right amount of pitch.

Maybe even most important of all is the use of "witch", where 'witch' already has its negative connotations.. but is also used in a smug way or context that sounds much like "our bitch". This really sets a tone, and helps an audiences' ability to empathize better with the conflicts and events that happen right after.

I think that translated line is more dramatic and a stroke of genius, considerin he had to deal with a company that censored a minor scene with Celes on the very same version. Indeed, someone aware of the usage could even use some realistic rationale and allow some thoughts in on if the girl could have been sexually harassed, or worse.
The line which mentions "witch" has no swearing in the original, so it's nothing big. The original text:

Code: [Select]
「生まれながらに魔導の力を持つ娘か…
魔導アーマーに乗った兵士50人を
たった3分で倒したとか…
恐しい…
"So this is the girl born with the power of sorcery?
She beat 50 soldiers riding Sorcery Armors in only 3 minutes.
Scary..."

娘 (むすめ, musume) just means "girl". There's nothing offensive in that word. And Woolsey changed it to "sorcerer/sorceress" just because of the word 魔導 (まどう, madou = sorcery, magic), which is very close in meaning with 魔法 (まほう, mahou = magic). And, 恐しい (おそろしい, osoroshii) should've been written 恐しい. A small grammar mistake.

As for Celes, Cyan/Cayenne calls her イヌ (inu = "dog") the first time they meet. Calling a girl "dog" in Japan is offensive.

カイエン「マランダ国を滅ぼした
悪名高い 将軍!
この帝国のイヌめ!
そこになろれ!!成敗してくれよう!
Cayenne "The infamous general
who destroyed the country of Maranda!
You Imperial witch!
Stay there!! Face your punishment!"

It would be very appropriate to use "witch" in this case. "Bitch/whore" sounds a bit too heavy in English.

In the same vein, durin the Narshe invasion one of the guards calls your party "self-important swine" - which is no doubt an allusion to the phrase cops/police authority = pigs, and an example of Woolsey's own ingenious way of handling this type of stuff. They both got a point across to anyone paying attention, and got it to pass NoA - possibly without the fools in suits even realizing it.

At least for both lines im certain they give a rawer, gritty feeling - without being profane - and either should be kept, or fleshed out.
The "machine-riding, self-important swine" part was one of Woolsey's liberties. The original is:

ガード「帝国の思うようにさせるか!Guard "I won't allow the Empire to do what they want!"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:30:35 pm by Almagest »