News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.02)  (Read 375690 times)

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
3.0 is now live as is the news article.

aorin1

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.0)
« Reply #1101 on: January 28, 2021, 12:57:46 pm »
Hi, I'd like to know how this uncensored edition compares to the Japanese translated original?
Thanks!

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #1102 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:25 pm »
the same way it did when your question was asked and extensively answered 6 days ago?

or are you talking the actual North American release now?  be more clear.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:02 pm »
the same way it did when your question was asked and extensively answered 6 days ago?

How about you sit down with the patch and discover it for yourself. That's part of the fun!
Hi, I'd like to know how this uncensored edition compares to the Japanese translated original?
Thanks!
They just need to try it out. Simple really.

Shirae

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 29, 2021, 12:30:38 am »
Great work on the project. However, there might be some color palette bugs in the new version?

Is the healing guy on the Blackjack supposed to look like this?

aorin1

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 29, 2021, 07:56:02 am »

Yeah, I totally missed that, my question was clear, though, I wanted to know how this uncensored patch compared to the Japanese version which was translated a few years back.

Thanks to Rodimus Primal for the in depth reply.

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 29, 2021, 03:50:47 pm »
Ah! so many patches to apply! I don't wanna screw it up! :'(

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 29, 2021, 05:24:32 pm »
Ah! so many patches to apply! I don't wanna screw it up! :'(

The patches are complete packages,with the exception of the Music player, and even that is just one patch (of your choice with details within its own Read me file) to add on top of the main patch.

Memorex

• View Profile
To me, I'm very old school and nostalgic. I have a soft spot for Super Nintendo games of my youth. My endeavor with Woolsey Uncensored was to keep those vintage lines, clean up the translation, uncensor the graphics, fix bugs were necessary, and make the best vanilla version of Final Fantasy VI. And I think I've accomplished just that by staying true to the projects goals. I've made a lot of script improvements over the years and the community here has, for the most part, been very accommodating. I will admit, I'm not perfect, but so many have helped with this project (here, Slick, and on FF6Hacking) and I'll always be appreciative of that.

Sorry for my rambling wall of text. But after many years working on this, despite having moved onto other important things IRL, and to answer your question, I think this is the best way to play the original game.

Very well written, friend. I really hope to find the time soon to finally sit down and re-experience FF6 via this edition. Thanks!

Rahlzel

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:05 am »
@Rodimus, something more objective you may want to consider is giving new users like myself a clue as to what the music player actually does.

You explain the patches it has (main README), which patch you recommend (main README), that it needs to be installed after the bug fix patch (music player README), that there's optional patches (music player README) and that it exists in this hack (main file description download page). But what does it do?

I've heard mention of MSU-1 for Chrono Trigger and also FF6. CD-quality music that sounds awesome (I watched a couple of videos on Youtube). Is that it?

Or is it a literal music player like Winamp that lets you play In Da Club by 50 Cent while while leveling up?

At this point, I figure it could be either of these, or neither.

Tried patching it a little while ago to find out for myself and the opening sequence sounds like Godzilla stomping through a city. I'm sure it's something on my end, though. (Retropie 4.7, lr-snes9x, using the Online ROM Patcher)

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: February 01, 2021, 11:17:33 pm »
Jesus christ.  This looks like a HUGE project.  I'm definitely gonna play this.  I hope Vanish+Death "bug" wasn't fixed.  I think Vanish+Death was supposed to kill the target (otherwise, Integr is almost unkillable, even after all the upgrades in the World of Balance).  However, Vanish probably wasn't meant to be able to target the enemies.

I don't know if it was this project, but a long ago, I played a re-translation for FF6.  And one of the enemies was named "Desmashin".  Obviously, it was supposed to be Death Machine (or Dth.Machine).

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 02, 2021, 08:16:44 am »
It's not fixed, as it's hardly considered a bug, and if it is, the player literally has to go out of his way to do it, no real different then the classic cheat codes from the olden days before achievements ruined everything. But I honestly never understood the need, this game is piss easy, Vanish+Doom or just auto-attack something dead, auto-attack is the easier/less effort route. I do like the fact though that Vanish+X-Zone instead will prevent you from getting end of battle rewards, because you sent them to the X-Zone, so there's nothing to drop.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 02, 2021, 02:50:33 pm »

@Rodimus, something more objective you may want to consider is giving new users like myself a clue as to what the music player actually does.

You explain the patches it has (main README), which patch you recommend (main README), that it needs to be installed after the bug fix patch (music player README), that there's optional patches (music player README) and that it exists in this hack (main file description download page). But what does it do?

I've heard mention of MSU-1 for Chrono Trigger and also FF6. CD-quality music that sounds awesome (I watched a couple of videos on Youtube). Is that it?

Or is it a literal music player like Winamp that lets you play In Da Club by 50 Cent while while leveling up?

At this point, I figure it could be either of these, or neither.

Tried patching it a little while ago to find out for myself and the opening sequence sounds like Godzilla stomping through a city. I'm sure it's something on my end, though. (Retropie 4.7, lr-snes9x, using the Online ROM Patcher)

I take it you're not familiar with the Music Players in other versions of the Final Fantasy games. It's basically Sound Test, allowing you to listen to all of the music tracks IN the game, in a easy to use list. However, I do know that Woolsey Uncensored SHOULD still be compatible with the MSU-1 patch, so you COULD replace tracks with you're own music if you so desired.

It's not fixed, as it's hardly considered a bug, and if it is, the player literally has to go out of his way to do it, no real different then the classic cheat codes from the olden days before achievements ruined everything. But I honestly never understood the need, this game is piss easy, Vanish+Doom or just auto-attack something dead, auto-attack is the easier/less effort route. I do like the fact though that Vanish+X-Zone instead will prevent you from getting end of battle rewards, because you sent them to the X-Zone, so there's nothing to drop.

That is one that I made a point not to patch up. Same with Psycho Cyan. Go ahead and kill some Intagirs.

Very well written, friend. I really hope to find the time soon to finally sit down and re-experience FF6 via this edition. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words! Till all are one!

Rahlzel

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 02, 2021, 03:40:31 pm »
I take it you're not familiar with the Music Players in other versions of the Final Fantasy games. It's basically Sound Test, allowing you to listen to all of the music tracks IN the game, in a easy to use list. However, I do know that Woolsey Uncensored SHOULD still be compatible with the MSU-1 patch, so you COULD replace tracks with you're own music if you so desired.

Thanks, I understand now. I meant adding this information somewhere to your project page or readme, like a screenshot of what the music player window looks like, or just including what you just wrote somewhere in the description. That way us newbies know if they want to patch it or not.

As for the music player itself, I've tried and failed to get it working using both Lunar IPS and the Online Patcher, and both with an unheadered ROM. The result was the same both times - the intro logo music sounds like bombs going off or a Kaiju crashing through a city. I'm using the lr-snes9x emulator on Retropie 4.7. Maybe just an emulator incompatibility? I managed to get DancingMad's MSU-1 patch working (and also TWUE 2.10.2 along with it) and now I've got amazing modern music and your awesome work combined. Just for whatever reason the music player in your download doesn't want to play nice.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #1114 on: February 02, 2021, 04:37:44 pm »
I think Vanish+Death was supposed to kill the target (otherwise, Integr is almost unkillable, even after all the upgrades in the World of Balance).

Intangir can be killed with Stop and some patience.  no cowardly cheesing necessary.

It's not fixed, as it's hardly considered a bug, and if it is, the player literally has to go out of his way to do it, no real different then the classic cheat codes from the olden days before achievements ruined everything. But I honestly never understood the need, this game is piss easy, Vanish+Doom or just auto-attack something dead, auto-attack is the easier/less effort route.

oh, it's definitely a bug, and widely regarded as such.  so much so that Square/TOSE actually fixed it in the FF6 Advance remake.

what does a game being "piss easy" have to do with bughood?  this just seems like a ham-handed attempt to pat oneself on the back for not having difficulty with a game.  here are your congratulations: :cookie:

as i understand it, Rodimus Primal declining to patch this and Psycho Cyan has nothing to do with whether they are bugs, but the "exploit" and "amusing" natures of the two, respectively.

I do like the fact though that Vanish+X-Zone instead will prevent you from getting end of battle rewards, because you sent them to the X-Zone, so there's nothing to drop.

misconception.  enemies still drop their normal prizes.  the only thing to be suppressed is the Bahamut Esper, which Doom Gaze coughs up via a battle event.  and even that's not a permanent loss, as the script to kill off the foe and prevent it from reappearing is also skipped in the process.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:17:33 pm by assassin »

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:12 am »
This project is the embodiment of the quote “art is never finished, only abandoned”

[Unknown]

• View Profile
    • PPSSPP
« Reply #1116 on: February 13, 2021, 11:22:57 pm »
Small typo: in Albrook, World of Balance after the big dinner, some soldier next to the pub complains about having to "bride" people for business - should be bribe.

"We have to bride them to do business here"

-[Unknown]

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:21 am »
Small typo: in Albrook, World of Balance after the big dinner, some soldier next to the pub complains about having to "bride" people for business - should be bribe.

-[Unknown]

That'll be corrected soon. Have you finished the game or was there anything else?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:14 am »
This project is the embodiment of the quote “art is never finished, only abandoned”

Very true. I don't envy those who localize games for a living, but this was a labor of love for the game. That being said I fully intend to ensure any typos made are corrected, as many ROM hackers do around here.

-[Unknown]

So, in addition to that being fixed, I corrected a spacing issue in the dialogue when Sabin first meets Cyan, and the battle dialog for the Fiend changed to reflect the monster's name. Version 3.01 is submitted for approval.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:58:43 am by Rodimus Primal »

seajay1221

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.01)
« Reply #1119 on: February 22, 2021, 07:50:23 pm »
Hey! Amazing hack and am loving that this is how I’ll be first experiencing FF6. I did however run into one minor bug in v3.01. When you recruit Locke to the party, at the prompt when you’d get to name him instead the name area is blank, you can’t add any text or move the cursor at all, and the character portrait is Terra’s. Luckily pressing Start just sets his name as Locke, so it doesn’t really hang up progress at all.