News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.02)  (Read 374017 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Alright, 2 more for you (Using FF3USME Dialog Line):

When Ramuh is talking line 1086, the "Espers" is not capitalized:

Ramuh: That doesn't mean we can't live here, too. espers come in a variety of forms.<EOP>
My appearance is similar to yours, so I can live among you not worrying about anyone finding out the truth.

And the description for Kaiser Claws:

Set of spiked knukcle claws...

Espers have been uncapitalized for a while now. Like human, esper is not a proper noun.

As for Kaiser Claws (Knuckles). That was also on purpose. There is only so much space for the name of an item. It was in an earlier version KaiserKnucks, but I got a few complaints about the name of it. So Kaiser Claws it is.

octorox

• View Profile
I think you misinterpreted. It seems like they were pointing out that esper should be capitalized in that instance because it begins a sentence, not because it's a proper noun. Also the second issue wasn't the name Kaiser Claws but the fact that the word "knuckle" is misspelled in the description.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
I think you misinterpreted. It seems like they were pointing out that esper should be capitalized in that instance because it begins a sentence, not because it's a proper noun. Also the second issue wasn't the name Kaiser Claws but the fact that the word "knuckle" is misspelled in the description.

My mistake. I was reading it on my phone and responded too quickly. I'll have those two fixed soon. I'll wait to release the next update though until you've finished the game.

kjinn22

• View Profile
Sounds very fair! Working on that in the next few weeks.

And my bad, especially for the second one I definitely could have been a little more clear.

kjinn22

• View Profile
Okay, done! I just found one more...

The Minerva Bust says it provides a 25% bonus to maximum HP instead of MP in its description.

Thanks for the fun run! Was a great translation, added a lot to the vanilla experience, and all the bug fixes and addons were great as well!

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
Hello Rodimus, congrats on the great hack. Someone recently asked me about FFVI hacks and since i haven't played TWUE since a quite older version (I'm going through Namingway 1.98b now and it's great) i felt like i couldn't give them a correct answer, because the question was about the script and i haven't gone through TWUE since you added Mato's work.

How accurate to the japanese is the script right now compared to other hacks out there? Because a few new hacks appeared since the Legends of Localization videos, it's hard for me to know how different they are without playing all. Is TWUE now basically accurate script + Woolsey's fan favorite lines while the other hacks are the same without his lines or are all hacks scripts very different at the moment?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Okay, done! I just found one more...

The Minerva Bust says it provides a 25% bonus to maximum HP instead of MP in its description.

Thanks for the fun run! Was a great translation, added a lot to the vanilla experience, and all the bug fixes and addons were great as well!

Thanks again for finding those. They've been corrected and I have submitted Version 2.09.2 for approval!

EDIT - Okay 2.09.2 is available to download!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:55:14 pm by Rodimus Primal »

lavignep

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09.2)
« Reply #1047 on: September 30, 2020, 08:35:43 pm »
Hello Rodimus,

I tested the latest patch on version 1.00 yesterday. I used base + opera + bugfixes + music player. Game plays fine without latest ips but if music player is used I get a garbled screen upon selection options in main menu. I used both music player latest patch (number 2 I believe.)

I don’t really mind myself but I thought maybe you would like to know.

Thank you for your great work.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Hello Rodimus,

I tested the latest patch on version 1.00 yesterday. I used base + opera + bugfixes + music player. Game plays fine without latest ips but if music player is used I get a garbled screen upon selection options in main menu. I used both music player latest patch (number 2 I believe.)

I don’t really mind myself but I thought maybe you would like to know.

Thank you for your great work.

According to the Read-Me, if you are using the Bugfix version of TWUE and you want to use the Music Player in the Main Menu, use Patch A. Patch B is for the Non-Bugfix versions. Are you using the right patch?

lavignep

• View Profile
I’m terribly sorry, I have indeed used patch B. I thought I read A was for older patches and the effect it had on the game had taken me aback.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

kjinn22

• View Profile
Hey Rodimus,

Pretty big bug that I've tried to do some troubleshooting for. If you apply the full bug fix patch, the Rippler bug making you lose Interceptor bug is not fixed! I went and did the patch without any of the add-ons and applied either bug fix, either Terii's or Zombie/Rippler A, and the Rippler bug IS fixed, while redundantly applying those patches to the full bug fix patch did not fix it. I'm guessing it has some compatibility issue with another of the bug fixes, but I cannot identify which.

Also, the Ability name patch has received a few upgrades since you first used it (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3141-page-3.html, the problems are detailed in the thread), I went through and found the exact hexadecimal values you need to change:

Bug fixes to Restored Name patch:

Size of magic spell name and item window in field menu:
00035845 from 07 to 08
00038A41 from 0D to 0C

Size of Control Menu text:
0002DDD6 from 0C to 12
00016ACC from 07 to 09
00016ABE from 03 to 07

Then, if you wish for the Esper Menu to show MP costs at the cost of a few letters in that particular menu:
Return Esper MP:

00035540: from FF to C7
0003553A: from 9A to 94

Finally, I had wiped bonus stats from my hack but was making a Vanilla version of it and found that the Crusader level up bonus in the Esper menu is misspelled "bouns".

And then, a quick question: Do you know why you stated not to use the Color Wheel patch with TWUE? I accidently missed that in your compatibility document, but checked for conflicts and found none, and have been playing with it for a while and saw no issues. This is with base+opera+bugfixes (no music player).

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Hey Rodimus,

Pretty big bug that I've tried to do some troubleshooting for. If you apply the full bug fix patch, the Rippler bug making you lose Interceptor bug is not fixed! I went and did the patch without any of the add-ons and applied either bug fix, either Terii's or Zombie/Rippler A, and the Rippler bug IS fixed, while redundantly applying those patches to the full bug fix patch did not fix it. I'm guessing it has some compatibility issue with another of the bug fixes, but I cannot identify which.

Also, the Ability name patch has received a few upgrades since you first used it (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3141-page-3.html, the problems are detailed in the thread), I went through and found the exact hexadecimal values you need to change:

Bug fixes to Restored Name patch:

Size of magic spell name and item window in field menu:
00035845 from 07 to 08
00038A41 from 0D to 0C

Size of Control Menu text:
0002DDD6 from 0C to 12
00016ACC from 07 to 09
00016ABE from 03 to 07

Then, if you wish for the Esper Menu to show MP costs at the cost of a few letters in that particular menu:
Return Esper MP:

00035540: from FF to C7
0003553A: from 9A to 94

Finally, I had wiped bonus stats from my hack but was making a Vanilla version of it and found that the Crusader level up bonus in the Esper menu is misspelled "bouns".

And then, a quick question: Do you know why you stated not to use the Color Wheel patch with TWUE? I accidently missed that in your compatibility document, but checked for conflicts and found none, and have been playing with it for a while and saw no issues. This is with base+opera+bugfixes (no music player).

Thanks for keeping me up to date. The version of the Restored Names that I used was the older version before SilentEnigma updated it so I don't have the same issue with the Class names appearing when you have a status effect. Instead they appear in every menu even if unneeded.

As for the Zombie Rippler bug, I am unsure of why that would NOT be working. Does it work without the Add-Ons? If so we might be able to narrow it down. to what would cause that, since I only used four add-on patches.

I believe that last time we checked Color Wheel it caused issues with one of the menus on TWUE, but I'm unsure if it was updated after that.

As for the Crusader typo, I'll have that fixed next update.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 02, 2020, 03:29:18 pm »
Just started a new playthrough on 2.09.2, with the Bug Fixes and Add-Ons patch. Does the B button dash work at the beginning of the game? I've been holding down B and Terra's party still moves at the default speed. You can't dash during the 3-party Moogle segment, either.

The RMOVE to REMOVE patch is a great fix. Are there any plans to do something similar for changing OPTIMUM to OPTIMIZE?

Have you thought about simplifying the "Pincer attack" battle message to "Surrounded!" like in the GBA port? I know pincer is correct, just wondering how you feel about it

I'm sorry if the suggestions I have next are repeats; it's been a while since I've revisited this thread

consider changing to "All right already!". not that important

The exclamation point should be outside of the quotation marks (Received "Sleeping Bag"!). So far it's happened for pretty much every item I've found; it's not that important, but thought you should know

This one's completely subjective, but I think the second sentence is a little wordy and unnatural dialogue-wise. Maybe simplify to, "Still robbing and plundering?" or the less awkward, "Still in the business of robbing and plundering?" (still wordy lol)

I'm pretty sure you don't need the "either" at the end
"Even so, they're too stubbornly independent to join forces with our underground resistance movement, the Returners..."

Guard Leader doesn't fit in neatly here, so if it bothers you, the FF Wiki gives the alternate name of "Marshal".

magic is in quotes here for no reason. The guard next to him talks about magic, too, but it's not in quotes ("Gestahl has harnessed the power of magic."). Just letting you know for consistency. There's another instance where this happens in the Figaro library as well. Magi is also in quotes there.

Highness should be capitalized since it's a formal address (Wikipedia link).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:38:59 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 02, 2020, 10:23:25 pm »
Just started a new playthrough on 2.09.2, with the Bug Fixes and Add-Ons patch. Does the B button dash work at the beginning of the game? I've been holding down B and Terra's party still moves at the default speed. You can't dash during the 3-party Moogle segment, either.

The RMOVE to REMOVE patch is a great fix. Are there any plans to do something similar for changing OPTIMUM to OPTIMIZE?

Have you thought about simplifying the "Pincer attack" battle message to "Surrounded!" like in the GBA port? I know pincer is correct, just wondering how you feel about it

I'm sorry if the suggestions I have next are repeats; it's been a while since I've revisited this thread

consider changing to "All right already!". not that important

The exclamation point should be outside of the quotation marks (Received "Sleeping Bag"!). So far it's happened for pretty much every item I've found; it's not that important, but thought you should know

This one's completely subjective, but I think the second sentence is a little wordy and unnatural dialogue-wise. Maybe simplify to, "Still robbing and plundering?" or the less awkward, "Still in the business of robbing and plundering?" (still wordy lol)

I'm pretty sure you don't need the "either" at the end
"Even so, they're too stubbornly independent to join forces with our underground resistance movement, the Returners..."

Guard Leader doesn't fit in neatly here, so if it bothers you, the FF Wiki gives the alternate name of "Marshal".

magic is in quotes here for no reason. The guard next to him talks about magic, too, but it's not in quotes ("Gestahl has harnessed the power of magic."). Just letting you know for consistency. There's another instance where this happens in the Figaro library as well. Magi is also in quotes there.

Highness should be capitalized since it's a formal address (Wikipedia link).

The change in the B Button Dash might have something to do with the alteration in the patch I used which allows the Sprint Shoes to stack with the dash. I wasn't planning on changing any of the names of the menu or Battle messages if they weren't necessary.

Alright vs All Right is interesting because of how it is accepted in some literature. I think I changed instances of the former in the rest of the script, but if not I can fix it.

Exclamation inside the quotations is, to my understanding, normal in American English, unless this rule has somehow changed. It will be that way with every item received because its a single message calling for the item in the script.

The Guard Leader / Marshall has to do with the old vs new name. Since I was naming it the GBA name I went with Guard Leader, I was forced to shorten it. Had to do the same with quite a few monsters names.

The conversation with Locke and Arvis is almost the same as how Woolsey originally wrote it, and reads like how two people who know each other might speak. It's not supposed to be in proper English.

Here's the original -
OLD MAN: Took you long enough! How goes the robbing and plundering trade?

I'll have to fix the other guard then since the idea of magic would be kind of a foreign thing to the people of Figaro. Heck, even Edgar freaks out when he see Terra use it.

You're right about Highness. That will be fixed.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 03, 2020, 12:13:55 am »

Exclamation inside the quotations is, to my understanding, normal in American English, unless this rule has somehow changed. It will be that way with every item received because its a single message calling for the item in the script.

I believe this rule is correct if the quotation marks were actually enclosing a quote. Nobody actually says anything; the quotation marks are just there to enclose the name of an item. If you have punctuation inside the quotation marks, it implies that it's part of the item's name.

I don't think "magic" is in quotes during the opening crawl, either. Magic doesn't seem that foreign to the people of Figaro, multiple NPCs talk about it pretty casually. The people of FFVI know of its existence, but they haven't seen it for themselves... I don't know if that justifies quotation marks
free sluffy

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 06, 2020, 05:42:16 pm »
I took a look into the original script in Japanese, the SNES, and the GBA all use quotation marks for those NPCs in Figaro. So they remain. I did fix all of the quotation marks and punctuation at the end of sentences, including 'Received "Item"!' though. I also fixed the two instances where I still had alright, so it is now all right. The typo with Highness and the bouns instead of bonus for Crusader are now fixed. I also swapped out the B-Button Dash from Version B to Version C so it will work with events and while riding Magitek Armor.

With all of that, Version 2.10 is submitted for approval!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 06, 2020, 08:31:30 pm »
Reviewed and approved. 2.10 is live.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 06, 2020, 09:10:29 pm »
Reviewed and approved. 2.10 is live.

Thanks Lex!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09)
« Reply #1058 on: November 07, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »

did you also get this?  :P

great work as always, i'll try and get some more playtime in soon
free sluffy

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.10)
« Reply #1059 on: November 08, 2020, 03:31:44 am »
did you also get this?  :P

great work as always, i'll try and get some more playtime in soon

Yep. I think that was for 2.09.2. I try to keep up with typos whenever I can.