News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.11) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)  (Read 32092 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.11) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2019, 07:11:33 pm »
This may go a bit off-topic, but what PS1 emulator do you guys use? I keep switching between EPSXE and PCSX-R with PGXP. Both still make poor Mega Man's face wobble around like pudding whenever he blinks:

Same happens with Symphony of the Night's candles. Just now I found out there's a thing called Mednafen. Anyone using that for PS1 emulation instead? I'd like to finally play a PS1 game without all the issues going on.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2019, 07:13:40 pm »
This is my ranking

1. Real hardware (modded PS2)
2. RetroArch with the Beetle PSX core (Mednafen PSX fork)
3. Mednafen PSX
(I'd rather not play at this point)
999. Any of the emulators you mentioned

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2019, 07:19:36 pm »
Well, finally installing RetroArch then.

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2019, 09:08:28 pm »
A few years ago, I've played both Megaman 8 and Castlevania Symphony of the Night on my Raspberry Pi 2, running Retroarch with pcsx-reARMed core. They worked just fine, and I don't remember any flickerings on blinking sprites (although this emulator is exclusive for computers with ARM processors).

Talking about PCSX-R on desktops, try changing emulation plugins and/or filters. There's the possibility those bugs are happening only on OpenGL mode instead of Software mode. Or maybe you're using any image filters, such as bilinear, 2xsai, etc. Maybe you can solve this by doing a few tweaks on the emulator settings.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »
Judging by the screenshots, I'd say the emulator is simply outputting on a non-integer scale, and there's no bilinear filter so smooth the odd pixels, so they just randomly cut or expand some lines of pixels.

Seems like it could very easily be fixed by tweaking output resolution and filtering options, but I still recommend switching to either Mednafen PSX or RetroArch/Beetle PSX. They should look ok out of the box.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2019, 05:58:21 pm »
Well, finally installing RetroArch then.

I'd rather go with mednafen and a frontend. Retroarch is an unintuitive, clunky POS only worth it for emulation box dedicated PCs.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2019, 06:40:45 pm »
Actually I'm really loving Retroarch. I've been emulating using seperate emus for 12 years now. I didn't expect it'd grow on me so easily. SNES, NES, PS1, GB and GBA emulation I've tested and it all works great. I had to unmap some annoying hotkeys using the config file but that's all good now.
Anyway:

I'm actually not sure if this is translated by the hack or if this is the official translation, but I thought it was worth reporting just in case.

Also, in the following FMV cutscene, Duo says "To get there, a barrier is in our way." (referring to the barrier surrounding Wily's Tower). I don't know but that sounds a bit iffy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:46:12 pm by Thirteen 1355 »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2019, 05:42:31 pm »
Two minor reports regarding the X4 patch:

- Text shadows glitch when Zero is talking to Iris before the spaceport level

- In the pre-battle dialogue with Sigma, Zero is called "an Maverick", which I assume is an artifact of the original naming convention, Irregular, and the article wasn't changed to match. Personally, I prefer Irregular, myself.