News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.96)  (Read 68542 times)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
So I've started work on a project and I'm new at this but I'm making yet another Final Fantasy III(VI) SNES hack. I know its got so many hacks that I'm taking a bunch from here and other places to work on this and I will be looking at the GBA script to correct mistranslations and will basically be proof-reading Woosley's script. The idea is to keep the nostalgia of the original translation but bringing the best changes of the GBA version. In other words lines like Son of a Submariner will stay, Terra and Sabin are not Tina and Mash, but NPCs like Vicks and Madonna will be renamed Biggs and Madeline. I want this to be as if Ted Woolsey didn't have to censor anything and had more time to correct his script.

So far this is what I have-
Titlescreen Hack
Uncensored Graphics Hack
Dash Restore (Press B to Dash)
Esper Menu Fix
Possible fixes - Evade Fix, GengiOff Fix, SrBehemoth Fix.

As for items and spells, I'm looking at making a compromise. Pearl SHOULD be Holy, Tonic should be Potion etc but the glory days of the SNES Fire 2 and 3 worked with the character limit. I'm open to suggestions. EDIT- I have chosen to use the GBA names for spells, items, and monsters as these are the official names translated from the Japanese. So Ice, Ice 2, and Ice 3 are Blizzard, Blizzara, and Blizzaga respectively. Fenix Down is Phoenix Down.

Also I really want to add the class names in the menu but I don't know the first thing about making it happen. Angelo26 has a hack that also increases character limit but the changes are in hex(which I know nothing of) and the ease of FF3usME cannot be used.

I am open to suggestions on this since I'm totally new to the world of ROM Hacking and translations.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current version has been updated to V1.96. Updates include:

-Script fixes   

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:53:42 pm by Rodimus Primal »

JCE3000GT

• SARS
    • View Profile
    • JCE3000GT.com
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woosley Uncensored Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
This site is a great place to learn how to hack (hex editing tutorials, etc) for sure.  However, if you don't get a response on FF6 specifically head over to one of the two sites below.  They specialize in FF6 data and information almost exclusively.  :)

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/index.php

1,045 video games and counting, not including duplicates.  :)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:39:21 am »
Thanks.  I registered at FFVI Hacking but I have to wait for admins to allow me to post.

I will let folks know how I make out with status with screenshots when I can. I'm also open to suggestions on the script because I know some folks are passionate about this game.

Triforce_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »
This sounds awesome, can't wait until its done!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »
So I spent my time going through the script. Of 3082 captions of dialogue (which doesn't include battle dialogue), I'm up to 1000. I fixed grammar errors where possible if it made sense. Vicks is now Biggs, the "Impressiaro" on the Phantom Train is now the Conductor as he should be, and Zigfried doesn't go by Sigfried in his last two captions. I expanded some of the dialogue in the meeting at the Returners base that was missing from the US translation, and I tweaked Shadow's dreams so that its clear that Baram was asking Clyde to kill him. I have to give it to Woosley. He said so much more with less. But there were times it lacked so I've been looking at the GBA and RPGOne's translations to understand clearly in some lines so it made sense to insert an extra word or line here or there.

Since this is an "uncensored" Edition, Cider is now wine, Kefka will say KILL THEM, Locke enters South Figaro saying Dammit, and the person who says  @$#* Empire says damned empire. This isn't trying to be as foul mouthed as possible, in fact I'm rather modest with it. But my goal is to give the script the feeling that there isn't anything missing or censored.

I've already added the original title screen, the uncensored graphics, and the B button dash. I also will add the Gogo Yellow Streak fix since that was an error caused in localization. I'm looking for the Cafe to Bar patch, but if I knew how I'd rather it be Pub since that was what the original graphic said. I also eventually want to restore class names and go through the spells and items to "uncensor" them.

I'm looking for suggestions and perhaps any help I can get. I'll be continuing working on the script. Its a hell of an undertaking and I really give a lot of props to Woosley!

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
Possible fixes - Evade Fix, GengiOff Fix, SrBehemoth Fix.
I really should remove Genjioff, since it's extremely broken right now. I do believe Drakkhen's damage overflow fix encompasses what I was trying to do, so I recommend you get that instead.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:18:00 pm »
I will. I didn't add any bug fixes like that on purpose because I want to make sure my altered script works first. Was this a bug in the Japanese release or just the US one?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:34:01 am »
I have to give it to Woosley. He said so much more with less.

I really wish more people would understand this. Writing isn't just about throwing words on a page and getting literal meaning across; nuance is so much more important!

btw it's woolsey

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:47 am »
I really wish more people would understand this. Writing isn't just about throwing words on a page and getting literal meaning across; nuance is so much more important!

btw it's woolsey

Whoops. Hence why its good to proofread! Woolsey. Got it.  :angel:

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:29:45 am »
Was this a bug in the Japanese release or just the US one?
Every single bug originated from the Japanese version. :thumbsup:

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:07 pm »
Wait, did you change it to Zigfried or Ziegfried?

no it is not. any thinking automaton need only receive a direct accounting of events to understand fictional content as diction and connotation are devoid of referenceable meaning. [bip whirr click]—whoops, left my arguebot on. He thinks he’s people.

Okay, I am just getting a little off topic, but I always thought some games have scripts that are a bit on the wizardly side considering the engines feature none of the usual typographic fallbacks for English prose. FF6 and CT certainly count. Magic! M-A-G-I-C!
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:05 pm »
In the text it says Ziegfried in some captions and Sigfried in others within the same context. The question is, are we dealing with two different characters or one? From what I'm researching its one character. Looks like I'll be going back in and changing it to Siegfried.

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
Two. Only the one in the colosseum is the real Siegfried. From a cursory search, there seems to be no indication that the Phantom Train guy is the impostor in the Japanese version (other than what the real Siegfried tells you, and trivia in a couple of factbooks), and my guess is that there is some merit to the ‘Ziegfried is an impostor Siegfried’ theory, but if it is true, Woolsey may have messed it up in multiple places (like, which one is Ultros talking about?). That’s probably why the retranslation just makes him Siegfried all the way through: because the Japanese does.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
So it would make sense by calling them both Siegfried but letting the one in the Colosseum say what he does about the imposter without altering it.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »
Great idea, Rodimus Primal! You might want to check out Lina Darkstar's translation, if you haven't: http://www.icyforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4401
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:02:27 pm by KillerBob »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 12:38:37 am »
I went ahead and started reading some of Lina Darkstars notes and there are times where I realize the mistakes and other times its nitpicking. Woolsey was one who really knew how to say more with less. But I expanded some conversations in some places but tried to keep the Woolsey feel to it. Sometimes I inserted a GBA/Lina/RPGONE line, or my own variation of it to correct the translation. Things like Cyan's intro comes to mind. With certain lines I'm open to suggestions. Especially the Poisoning scenes with King Doma, and Cyan's family. I went to proofread my lines and want to make sure it fits. I'm up to the Esper World scenes now.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:48 am »
Sounds great. Yet another that may be of help to you is kwhazit's translations: http://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ff6/index.html

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:33:06 am »
Mmm.... would it make sense to make all of Doma speak like Cyan? It would put more meaning behind his eloquant speech.

June 04, 2013, 11:08:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks Killer Bob. That one is helping with the Doma scenes. I'm trying my best to keep Woolsey's nuance with accurate translation.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:08:14 am by Rodimus Primal »

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:42 am »
In the Japanese, nobody else in Doma speaks like Cyan.

Beware any translation’s ability to accurately convey the original meaning, even literally. It is very much seeing in a glass darkly.

And eloquent is hardly how I’d describe how he talks! :o

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 01:24:19 am »
True. Eloquent, no, but certainly formal. The thing about the way he talks is that he has a lot of "thou" and "sir" in the NA translation but obviously he would talk more like a high ranking samurai in Japanese, hence the soldier from a foreign land bit in his intro.