News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Want to translate a PS1 game, need some help  (Read 5022 times)

The_Reaper_CooL

• View Profile
Want to translate a PS1 game, need some help
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »
Hi guys!

I want to translate a PlayStation 1 game, but I can't copy the files out of the game/image/ISO/whatever.

I need some help with this, because I have some knowledge on HEX Editing text and whatnot, I just need help with file copying (for now :D)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Want to translate a PS1 game, need some help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »
If you have a vintage rip it might be in an odd format (though iso technically existed many companies were still trying to make their own format to corner the market) meaning you may need a program geared to play with many formats to work (ultraiso, magic iso and possibly the option if you fiddle with imgburn though the preview versions of the commercial programs will usually allow you to pull files from it). I would advise going to normal ISO/making a new rip if you can and porting it back to the old format if you want.

Following that a handful of the PS1 games did use raw DMA reads rather than just the standard iso filesystem, it was far more prevalent in the PS2 but it did happen on the PS1. For these you will usually have to watch an emulator pull things from the disc and direct your hex editor (or other hex manipulating program) according, a handful of fingerprint detection methods exist for some audio formats but not a lot else.

The_Reaper_CooL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »
Thanks, I've extracted the files, and I can put them back in, but...

There are some errors, like:

1. In one game if I modify the text just a bit (with HEX Editing, so it stays the same size, the character is in the same place...etc), then the game doesn't start
2. In another game the game starts, but some music disappears (also the PlayStation Logo at the beginning looks odd)

Any tips on what I should do to solve these problems?

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:51 pm »
Hey if you need a Playstation one emulator debugger here's one i've found: http://nocash.emubase.de/psx.htm :thumbsup:

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
1) Assuming your edit was not the thing that crashed it (if it can only decode 20h through 7Fh and you stuck something else in there, you accidentally remove the instructions to end a line then it can cause everything up to complete crashing) and if it does it from the start then chances are the game has some form of error checking/hash check on things (especially if the text in this game is in the binary). I am afraid I have never gone toe to toe with a PS1 hash check but the concept was seen back in the megadrive and earlier and the principle is the same wherever you go (either fix the hash if it is one and not a piece of signed code or patch out the check by one of the various means there is to do that). Before you gallop off to learn MIPS I and PS1 architectures do see if there are any cracks/fixes from back then as they will usually have fixed it for you (most game cracks for the PS1 would probably have been this), similarly if there are enabler/must be on cheats then use those as they are often the same thing.
I am not so familiar with the modern debugger grade and playback emulators but it is also possible that they have a hash check option (gots to have the accuracy and all that) you can disable (just so there is no misunderstanding this need not be the same hash as I was talking about earlier but it can lead to the same effect).

2) I probably should have mentioned it first time around (got caught up with the "just copying thing"). Though some are still standard isos the later tracks can be more conventional music tracks (eject the disc when playing a Tony Hawk game). The logo stuff I am not sure about, typically (in other consoles) it is an indicator that something has gone wrong.

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:13:18 pm »
I use pSX for an emulator and CDMage to extract and import files.

Seconding that it's likely some kind of hash check/copy protect.  Make sure you're changing it to something in the existing glyph set first as mentioned, but it's probably that.  What's the game?

The_Reaper_CooL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:38:40 am »
I use pSX for an emulator and CDMage to extract and import files.

Seconding that it's likely some kind of hash check/copy protect.  Make sure you're changing it to something in the existing glyph set first as mentioned, but it's probably that.  What's the game?

Well there aren't many translations for PS1 games, so I thought I'd translate some of them (I mean like 10-15 or so, if I find that many to translate). What I've tried so far is...

Spyro 2 - Ripto's Rage! / Spyro 2 - Gateway to Glimmer: If I change just one bit, it gets frozen/doesn't start.

Kagero - Deception II: If I change something, then the text gets displayed correctly at places, but the PS1 logo at the beginning looks odd, and there's no background music.

I've only tested them to see if the text gets replaced, I didn't play them for long to see if there are any other errors...

EDIT:
Thanks for the tip Pokeytax, with CDMage I'm able to fully play Kagero - Deception II's rebuilded image (with music, sound and stuff, the PS logo looks a bit odd, but it does the same with the original one, so it's not a problem)

I've ran into another problem, mainly translating text without Unicode support, and putting in longer text sometimes freezes the game. But at least I can translate it :D

If I'm right, then if I want to edit textures/put in new characters for Unicode support I have to extract the .bin file, which I can't because I'm a total noob :D

EDIT2:
Found some nifty texture editing stuff, and I can export/import textures. Will see if I can modify them, put them back in and that they are working as intended (using TimViewer for this, if someone is interested)

EDIT3:
Nope, can't put the image back in...  :-\
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:41:30 pm by The_Reaper_CooL »

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 03:26:02 pm »
^Spyro 2 has infamously aggressive copy protection, from what I understand.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »
^Spyro 2 has infamously aggressive copy protection, from what I understand.

Extremely interesting read.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »
It has been long since I've read something that interesting ! Never heard of this game, but all respect goes to the programmers for doing this, even if some times it souds like they were more causing trouble to themselves than anything else (I mean, prevent debugging ?)
Given the choice of buying a game or waiting two to three months for a pirated version, a lot of pirates are going to start buying games. Or at least they'll buy their favorite ones.
That's where they are clearly wrong.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:23 pm »
I shall have to echo the "that was very interesting" sentiment.

Some of it feels a bit quaint but that could also have been that the article was probably not aimed at the average RHDN forum goer, that said I had no idea things were that far advanced back then even if they did opt for the rather soft touch method (speaking to some of those that ripped AP out of DS games you are apparently straight up optimising the game well beyond the point of it being noticeable as there are that many checks). Indeed it has changed my perspective on a few things.

All that said "To what degree this survived compiler optimization we don't know".... dude clearly understands obfuscation (even if the term was not used) and possibly assembly at production level (I do not know if inline means inline assembly or not here) but that seems rather odd.