News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your #1 RPG you ever played?  (Read 21184 times)

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
Re: Your #1 RPG you ever played?
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »
I personally liked Ranma 1/2 treasure of the red cat gang on SFC as being my Top Favorite :) & Dragon Quest Monsters on Gameboy Color my best childhood classic portable RPG of all time! very obscure title since some consider it a Pokemon type clone but to me i believe it's a whole lot better & much more stuff to do than ANY Pokemon of that generation imo.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2013, 11:41:24 pm »
Funny, many people could say the same thing about the old classics. CT for example is certainly good, but I wouldn't even put it into my top 5. You know why? There is nothing more subjective than a personal top x list. The order in which you play the various games plays an enormous role for example, no matter how cliche a story is, it might be awesome the first time you hear it. The same goes for graphics and storytelling standards. And when looking back many years, also our personal state of mind at the time when we first play a game will also play a huge factor. None of those things can be objectively weighed against another, they are variables that will be different for every person. Trying to convince someone their choice is wrong is futile, if not even unfair.
Yep.

*insert stop hating what I like meme*

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2013, 12:27:15 am »
I would say Final Fantasy IV, due to enormous impact the story had on me at the time, but I ended up playing Final Fantasy VI a lot more often.

I used to place CT above either of them, but I've grown bored with it over the years...I just don't think the silent protagonist angle ever made for compelling narrative.

But it's highly likely that I'm simply demented.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
Top 3 in order. I should point out that all the 16bit classics never made it over here and I only ended up playing them on emulators...

Exile: That game blew my mind back in the BBC micro days. Back in the day, Phoebos seemed endless. The Amiga version was also a fantastic upgrade. AGA sucked though...
LoZ: Another mind-blowing game. I couldn't believe that there was a whole second game in there after beating it the first time around. The SNES one is probably objectively the best LoZ but it didn't have the sheer novelty factor of the original.
Ultima 7: Although I'm a huge fan of 8, I admit that it wasn't terribly good. I also really like worlds of Ultima and Ultima Underworld but it would take a crazed lunatic not to admit that Ultima 7 is the best PCRPG ever made. It's Just That Good.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2013, 02:30:54 am »
I'm going to go ahead and say that for me, it is either the original Final Fantasy, or The Last Story.

I actually love Final Fantasy so much that when the battery in my copy died, I got off my ass, watched some youtube videos, got a new battery, and replaced it myself. I went as far as soldering wires directly to the battery, which is like the dumbest idea ever, but I really wanted that cart to work again.

The Last Story was just kind of a really refreshing take on JRPGs. The story is as tropey as it gets, but it had some pretty sincere voice acting (by a great all British cast) that kind of sold the whole thing. Then on the game play side, the combat system is like nothing I've ever played before. It takes some queues from western RPGs, with the ability to stop the fight and command your party members, but the way the spell circles and stuff work makes the strategy of combat a really fun experience. It was the first JRPG since the 90's that I was able to actually sit through and finish.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »
Final Fantasy Adventure for the Gameboy ( the original legend of mana), in my opinion, is one of the best games ever created. Maybe its a nostalgia thing but as a kid the story twists, open world feel and simple game play really made an impression on me.